Author Topic: MotoGP Kawasaki out and some dire times ahead  (Read 11324 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
MotoGP Kawasaki out and some dire times ahead
« on: January 11, 2009, 07:12:09 am »
Kawasaki has suspended MotoGP activities due to credit crunch etc etc leaves 17 bikes on the grid 1 short of the FIM min 18 bikes for a championship. So no need to set the video this year or buy the review dvd ;D But a better question is how did the situation get so dire. Here is some good analysis, and applies to more than MotoGP

http://www.motogpmatters.com/opinion/2009/01/08/saving_motogp_part_1_why_is_motogp_so_ex.html

http://www.motogpmatters.com/opinion/2009/01/09/saving_motogp_part_2_how_to_encourage_th.html

http://www.motogpmatters.com/opinion/2009/01/10/saving_motogp_part_3_avoiding_the_traps_.html

Jesus only loves two strokes

firko

Re: MotoGP Kawasaki out and some dire times ahead
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 07:17:53 am »
If you add Honda and others pulling out of F1 to the above it points to a lot of problems in elite level motorsport in general, not all of them due to the financial 'crisis'. I'm just waiting for the V8 Supercars to announce cutbacks. I bet it's coming.

TooFastTim

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 10:22:40 am »
I think it's telling that Paton, a privateer team that had been involved in 500GP's since the mid 60's, pulled out with the introduction of MotoGP. Four strokes are expensive. Period. Now the FIM are doing the same in the 250 class?

What did SuperHunky say: "you wanted works bikes, now you've got them".

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 10:43:32 am »
Mabe it's a good thing, meaning big budget racers are at the same level as Joe Blow. Back to basics  time

Be interesting to see what rule changes happen in  both sports  ::)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 11:07:37 am »
Mabe it's a good thing, meaning big budget racers are at the same level as Joe Blow. Back to basics  time

Be interesting to see what rule changes happen in  both sports  ::)

Totally agree, time to dust off the Protons, BSLs and all the other enthusiast attempts at building a world beater.

I would say MX support will be slashed as scarce resources go to supporting the road racers. But I doubt Bubba will need to claim food stamps any time soon.  ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 11:20:59 am »
Interesting you mention Paton they were heavily SHAFTED by Dorna they met all the criteria(Shaun Geronimi scored them a single point at Eastern Creek to do this) but still refused a permit to start. They had friends in high places though,Cathcart rode it one year and reckoned it would fly with the bank of trick electronic Keihins. Lo and Behold a top HRC man went for a friendly visit the Paton pit and a brand spanking new bank of carbs got left behind, value over 100,000 GBP ;D. Paton announced recently they will be making copies of the 2000 bike cost 100,000Euro or so for 190HP. The FIM has no control over 125,250 and MotoGP that is all Dorna and the MSMA. I might have  soul or a kidney for sale............................

http://www.paton.it/500Gp2T2001.htm
Jesus only loves two strokes

TooFastTim

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 11:28:03 am »
One of the links mentioned the WCM. I couldn't understand why they were pushed out at the time. Now it makes sense.

After watching the movie about Kim Newcombe ("Love, speed and loss") I asked myself: "what chance would he have now?".

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:39:45 am »
I think the Japanese companies are just warming up to cost cutting. Some of the he automotive divisions have still not recommenced production in the New Year which can bleed the whole company out.

If I was an executive at Honda I would make the choice between MotoGP or Superbikes and probably go with production based Superbikes to support existing model sales. Then put what I saved back into supporting my advertising costs.
formerly Marc.com

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 06:49:26 pm »
It'll also be a test of character for a stack of prima donna, or should that be "Grand Prix Madonna" racers, who will have a pay cut or no ride for '09. Interesting to see how many of them adapt, and organise some self-funding to race in another series/category, or else decide to sit it out, pick up the cash and complain how tough life is while accepting redundancy money. Meanwhile, to all those other overpaid nonentities who will have to dig in their pockets if they want to go racing........now you know how we feel !!   >:(
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 07:00:19 pm »
I hear that at least one of the big, local drit bike teams will lose its manufacturer money in the second half of this year.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

colmoody

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 08:51:54 pm »

As a big fan of moto gp I'm sorry to see Kawasaki departing. Am surprised that they hung in for as long as they did without a team sponsor. Having said that for a long time I have thought that it's more of quality rider problem (money).  And here in lies the problem.
Shinya is the only rider of the Kawasaki whom has come close to finding the limits of the 4 stroke Kawasaki's.

On the rider issue there is probably 6 or 8 in the class that are plainly out of there league including Melandri and Hopper whom were never going to add anything to the Kawasaki cause.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 09:11:56 pm »
I hear that at least one of the big, local drit bike teams will lose its manufacturer money in the second half of this year.

any idea which one  ???
formerly Marc.com

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 11:50:19 pm »
All of them >:( So pick any one, facts are all auto mobile and motorcycle manufacturers are not selling even the stocks of new vehicles they have. NO sales = No cash, certainly not for now overrated bloated racing events that are steadily loosing lots of interest with the public around the world. Meaning it is becoming a waste of advertising money to support them.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 04:03:33 am »
A slight variation but this year Guiseippi loungo who owns The rights to the mx GPs  is charging over 40  vet riders £500 PER MEETING to enter.  Talk about trying to kill something before it gets going.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 08:38:19 am »
What did Valentino say, the last race of the season was the most boring race he had ever ridden then promptly called for all the electronics to be removed to make things more interesting.

Dorna can ask what it likes, there just won't be any bikes there.
formerly Marc.com