Author Topic: MotoGP Kawasaki out and some dire times ahead  (Read 11316 times)

firko

Re: MotoGP Kawasaki out and some dire times ahead
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2009, 05:05:47 pm »
What date is the clipsal in adelaide ?
Ooops, I got it wrong, it's on the March 19-22. http://www.clipsal500.com.au/2009-bring-it-on/

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 05:21:10 pm »
Yes well after many sessions my senior therapist has convinced me otherwise of that firko !

Thw Wanganui races have a great history going back to the 70's with the Marlboro Summer series when all the big names used to come out for a ride and party. Keep a watch out for this weapon Jarod's NS 400/RGV hybrid brought together under the watchful eye of a Kiwi national treasure ,exGP engineer(and BSL) and 2 stroke guru Wobbly. Have to go over and watch if it's that good, interesting that the seeming evergreen Andrew Stroud did alright this year.

Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 05:36:09 pm »
The NZers have had to eat a lot of crow over the years for lack of numbers in participants and sponsorship dollars, because when you're chasing sponsor $$$ in NZ, if you aren't rugby union, you can piss off. In spite of that, their best-kept secret would have to be the NZV8s series, a lookalike to Aussie V8 Supercars (sigh), but with a tamer engine, lower rev limit, higher weight limit, 4-speed box (I think), and control tyres. In spite of these apparently draconian limitations, the reality is, this series is a pisser, with heaps of passing, white-knuckle action, controversy and contact ! No wonder they are kept under wraps when the V8SC circus goes to NZ, never making any mention or any race footage on the Channel 7 telecast, because this series goes against everything V8 Supercars stands for : sensible rules, logical costs, and close racing !
 Meanwhile, while their erstwhile location for the A1GP round, Taupo, continues to shoot itself in the foot, Hampton Downs raceway south of Auckland is quietly getting towards completion, and has already subtly inveigled themselves into the plans of both A1GP, and World Superbikes, and will be open for testing later this year. Unusually for a NZ circuit, it is actually designed by someone with a clue, and contains multi-radius corners and (gasp!) elevation changes...
So, quietly and unobtrusively, they're getting there. And don't even get me started on those bastards and their vmx administration, tracks from heaven and no entertainment of any influence from Motorcycling New Zealand, jeez they shit me..... ;D
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 06:15:40 pm »

yep and there is always the chance of finding true love
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 07:34:25 pm »
Yes well after many sessions my senior therapist has convinced me otherwise of that firko
Otherwise of what Lozza?

Friends involved in the car racing scene, specifically the Ute and Biante series' and a few of us old Kevlars have been discussing the plight of the V8 Supercars over many a beer in recent months and we reckon we've got the hot ticket to get the interest back and the costs down in touring cars. Instead of the current 'funnycar' regs, why not use the exact same formula the utes use, only for sedans. The ute racing is close with shitloads of passing and biffo the lead changes are frequent. The cars are so basic you can drive them on the street and most of all, the build costs and upkeep are a fraction of that of the current formula.
and has already subtly inveigled themselves into the plans of both A1GP, and World Superbikes
While I like the basic concept of A1, in reality it's as boring as batshit, features mostly substandard drivers nobody's heard of and the "representing ones country" concept is bogus. How many open wheel race tracks are there in India or Turkey for christ sake? I've been to two A1 GPs at Eastern Creek and it's so lacking in big time atmosphere it's embarrassing. I reckon A1s running on borrowed time, until the sultan of Brunei or whoever it is bankrolling the series, realises he's backing a loser and pulls the finance.

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 12:38:41 am »
Yes, Go the Kiwis.   It's probably creeping up on them unfortunately, but so far the Kiwis have had the good sense not to worship the unholy Trinity of Laziness,  Greed,  and  Stupidity  that seems to have throttled our western ' civilization.'      Pity we couldn't get a bit of their spirit back into our favourite sports.     F1 wasn't worth watching until Lewis arrived and re introduced instant instinctive passing so it will be interesting to see how 2009 goes now that he's been normalised by the FIA and passing will only take place while cars are jacked up in the pits. 

No short term brazillion dollar profits,  race meetings that excite the spectators, all those magnificent grassy VMX tracks,   " if you have a bike and twenty dollars you can race . . . . . . ." ,     I'd like to see that.   ;)           

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2009, 08:01:03 am »
I WENT TO ORAN PARK V8 SUPERCARS
I AGREE BORING AS BATSHIT
HIGHLIGHT WAS PAUL STUBBER IN EX HARVEY A9X
TOURING CAR MASTERS
OPPOSITE LOCK ON TO THE MAIN STRAIGHT

firko

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2009, 08:14:59 am »
I just rewatched that great Alain Prost v Gilles Villeneuve 1979 French GP clip that Lozza posted and if that doesn't give you goosebumps you've died and don't yet know it. That clip should be standard viewing for those who think that the current F1 races are "exciting". How good is old Murray Walker too. Some of the best race calling ever came from when he and James Hunt shared the job.

F1 wasn't boring at all when you a few (normaly French) nutters up the front
So very true. Gilles Villeneuve is my all time favourite GP driver. The guy had gonads the size of emu eggs and lived the hard drinking, womanising lifestyle we once expected from our F1 heroes. His son Jaques wasn't bad either but didn't have the class of his dad (although he was engaged to Dani Minogue, my dream girls sister!). Oh yes, Gilles Villeneuve was Canadian not French but I'm sure you knew that Loz. ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:09:37 am by firko »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2009, 08:16:42 am »
Historic sidecars at Wanganui were a hoot.....full throttle sliding into the corners then bouncing around like jet skis, top Triump didn't disgrace itself when it raced later with the moderns.

I mean lets face it most Aussie V8s these days are driven by overweight forty something mums dropping their kids off at school singing along to the new Britney CD. Maybe a race series that involves jostling for parking outside a school would make more sense. The hoons are all driving Civics and WRXs.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 10:16:17 am »
As much as I love the good old V8, (I have 32 cylinders shared between 3 cars!) I feel you're right Marc. As the baby boomer V8 guy fades off, the younger gen Y and X 'dudes' won't give a stuff for V8 racing. That's why a circus act like drifting is becoming so popular, they can identify with the cars. Perhaps the 2 litre Group A championship was a decade too soon.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 12:45:12 pm »
Perhaps the 2 litre Group A championship was a decade too soon.

The SuperTourers died for a lot of reasons (mostly relating to cost and marketing), but I do agree with the basic statement.

Although, trying to keep up with on-road trends and base a racing class around it is a hiding to nowhere. By the time you've identified a trend, worked out the rules, gotten people involved, and started racing, then the trend will have moved on.
Not to mention the sheer diversity of trends out there... Its not just the big three/big two anymore.

Which leads me to think that a replacement of the V8 series* needs diversity more than anything else. 2WD production cars that are available in Australia for under $X (I'd sugggest a figure around/under $100,000), and then some modifications available.

The previous Prodcution Car series in recent time have all undermined themselves by allowing big dollar specials, AWD cars, and/or not having stable regs (usually they start out too restrictive, and end up too permissive).

*Not that I think the V8s will be in serious trouble for a few years yet.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

PJR

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 01:12:26 pm »
I agree Nathan. No matter what new series' are thought up, the rule fudgers and manipulators eventually bugger it up.
I like Firkos pub theory of adapting the Ute series rules to suit sedans. I think it'd work as the cars are slammed, have big fat tyres so they look racy to the spectators and the action is hot to trot, in fact I reckon it's the best racing around right now, with plenty of passing and fender bending. The Super Tourers were indeed a great idea at the wrong time controlled by guys who weren't up to the challenges of selling it to the V8 crazy public. 10 years too early is a good call. It'd probably work now but I doubt you'd find a promoter willing to throw any money at it now.

I have to agree with earlier assumptions on A1GP. I too went to Eastern Ck for the first one and I found it lifeless and dull, full of drivers barely out of Formula Ford standard. The atmosphere, or lack of it was crook. My mates and I were sitting in the Eastern Ck Tavern with a schooner of Coopers in front of us straight after the first race. We'd seen enough! The 'country not the driver' concept is indeed flawed, to say that these guys are representing the pride of their nations is bullshit. It just doesn't come off. I predict that the Arab oil money backers will soon tire of it and go back to breeding and racing better race horses, something that they know makes money.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:17:33 pm by Red Devil »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 09:48:33 am »
and for some good news from the Western Farming sector.
Mack 1 Kawasaki roars off with sales trifecta
BY KEN WILSON
14/01/2009 10:07:00 AM
ONE OF Australia's most successful Kawasaki dealerships, Midland-based Mack 1 Kawasaki, has pulled off a trifecta of national awards with the parent company.

Last week Kawasaki Australia announced Mack 1 Kawasaki as the top-selling dealership for motor cycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and Mules (utility vehicles).

Last year Mack 1 Kawasaki picked up sales awards for motor cycles and ATVs and last week's achievement continues a strong annual showing by the company for the last 15 years.

"But it's the first time we've won all three awards in the same year," dealer principal Mark Daviot said.

And judging by inquiry for this year, Mack 1 Kawasaki already looks to be strong contenders for more awards.

According to Mark, the company's success reflects a team effort.

"We have a very experienced sales and service team that particularly extends into the agricultural areas and we match that with an extensive product range with one of the biggest showrooms in WA," he said. "And our parts division is the largest Kawasaki outlet in Australia.

"We have developed the business into a one-stop shop where customers can make a purchase and obtain finance, insurance and a license."
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2009, 10:40:39 am »
have you checked the price of wheat lately  ::) New Zealand farming sector is in for a rocky ride.
formerly Marc.com

mx250

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2009, 11:58:30 am »
"Domenicali then discussed the global financial crisis, which is also hitting MotoGP, answering a host of questions from the floor.

"It is definitely a situation we have to face up to right now but I would like to take a slightly different view of it, because whilst it is true that companies are having to face up to changes, with reducing sales of cars or bikes, on the other hand motorcycle racing, like so many other sports, is well loved, it has so many fans all over the world and it will find a way to move forward. We are considering a variety of proposals, together with the other constructors, the organisers and the Federation with this objective in mind; for example modifying the rules on the durability of the engines, which produce one of the biggest costs in MotoGP. The objective of extending engine durability is a matter for 2010 because it involves modifications that include the redesigning of internal components and that takes a certain amount of time. For this season we are looking at taking a step towards it by reducing the length of each practice session. Ducati also has to face up to this difficult situation but we have the support of solid partners: starting with our multi-year agreement with our title sponsor Marlboro, as well as Shell and Telecom. We have also renewed important contracts with Enel and Riello. There are also lots of other companies who promote their products through motorcycle racing with the Ducati Marlboro Team such as Alfa Romeo, Gatorade and Puma. Of course these are tough times but there are still plenty of ways to make sure that the MotoGP World Championship remains a leading promotional vehicle."

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2009/Jan/090114esdxc.htm