Author Topic: CR125RA Mugen Evo Legal?????  (Read 6068 times)

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
CR125RA Mugen Evo Legal?????
« on: January 02, 2009, 10:07:14 pm »
I am just finnishing off my CR125RA, just waiting on the Novation "works" swingarm and the Ohlins shocks and then I can assemble the bike, the only thing concerning me now is the Mugen Banzai kit that will be fitted which makes the bike watercooled, though the kit was available when the bike was current does this push the bike out of evo class?, Not gunna be happy if it does.... :(

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: CR125RA Mugen Evo Legal?????
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 10:09:37 pm »
Man, for all of the debate surrounding the finer details of Evo, this is dead simple:
Evo bikes must be air cooled.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:16:02 pm »
we would probably let you run
up here in qld as we race for fun ;D
but nathans right you would struggle at state and nat events :'(
and i dont mean struggle riding it
you would not get through scrutineering :'(
better bring it to cd6 ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 10:18:36 pm »
"Proof of eligability lies with the entrant" so goes the rule. You will need photographs/race report/magazine article of it being raced in the period.Good case for log books.
Jesus only loves two strokes

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 10:20:46 pm »
Are you going to run it at a national event? Other than that, run it. It is as period as it gets and is an evo bike. I personally would not have a problem even at a national event. I dont think its wrong, just a matter of the headache associated with people that have nothing better to do than protest.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 10:49:54 pm »
It is as period as it gets and is an evo bike. I personally would not have a problem even at a national event. I dont think its wrong, just a matter of the headache associated with people that have nothing better to do than protest.

Evo doesn't talk about/define a period - just air-cooled, drum-braked, and no linkage.

I agree in principle - it wouldn't offend me if someone wanted to race such a beast... And let's face it, very few of us would ever get the opportunity to see a Mugen bike being ridden, much less raced. Personally, I'd love to see it.

But emotion aside, it doesn't meet the Evo rules, so it would have to race as a pre-85 bike.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 08:52:25 am »
well thats just stupid, this means I can run my YZ125D with Noguchi watercoolong kit in pre 78, but I can't run the Banzai Mugen in Evo  ??? ??? ???, No wonder none of the trick bikes never make it to the track, too many scruitinazi's out there , and I certainly don't have the temprement to deal with them,... >:(

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 10:00:09 am »
OK it is a big pain to you 74 and yes some specials certainly are hard done by,  but that was how the class rules were envisaged and  so written. Too be brief but easier to understand by all.  Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 10:04:29 am »
Don't slit your throat just yet mate. A majority of people would welcome it with open arms and common sense would prevail . Who in there right mind would have an issue with it. It IS an evo bike, just with period trick bits on it. You have just found a rare issue that needs to be addressed in the rules, to except period upgrades which include water cooling. I feel the swingarm would be of more concern as i dont think it is a period knock off. Those factory looking arms (i am talking out my arse here as i only think that this is the case)  as you have bought were from 81 on. Please correct me if i am wrong here.
 To ask the same question again, would you take it to a national event? Would you figure in the top three placings if you did?
Bring it and bring it often i say. A beautiful thoroughbred needs to be out there .
I will be keen to see the end result.
If it is too hard and you want to move it on upon completion, i will sell a kidney to own it if i have to  :D

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 10:17:57 am »
i thought you lost a kidney over the
jump at stanmore last week ;D ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 10:20:15 am »
Evo - AIR COOLED, drum brakes, no linkage.
If you cannot understand that then you should not debate eligibility. 
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 10:40:10 am »
well thats just stupid, this means I can run my YZ125D with Noguchi watercoolong kit in pre 78, but I can't run the Banzai Mugen in Evo  ??? ??? ???, No wonder none of the trick bikes never make it to the track, too many scruitinazi's out there , and I certainly don't have the temprement to deal with them,... >:(

No you can't run a water cooled bike in pre-78 - there's a rule in there that specifically prohibits water-cooled bikes.

Look, I've been (and remain) quite critical of the wording of the rules, but their intent is well supported among the punters: To get bikes out there racing, and keep those bikes representative of the bikes that were racing 'in the day'. The 'no water cooling' bit is simply designed to stop people adapting later model production bits and otherwise creating ultra-fast 'specials' that never existed in the day. This is historic racing, remember.

AFAIK, you're the first person to seriously want to build and race a bike that's been converted to water-cooling in the history of Australian VMX - so don't go sprouting off about scrutinazis or the idiocy of the rules, because its simply a new issue that needs to be addressed, and you sound like you're having a tantrum....

Based on the responses so far, its clear that most people are happy for a bike using period parts to be raced in the Evo class. So if you genuinely want to race the bike, then its up to you to put in a submission to the Historic Commission explaining what you want them to allow, and why they should allow it.
Yes its some work for you, and success is not assured, but if really is important for you to race this bike in the Evo class, then its a minor hassle - sure it'll take a few hours at the PC, but compared to the time you'll spend building the bike, I'm sure those few hours will be trivial....

Alternatively, you'd be more than welcome at ANY race meet in the country to simply turn up and race with the pre-85 bikes. And if you're not chasing throphies, then there's no bad point for you.

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 10:40:33 am »
Don't slit your throat just yet mate. A majority of people would welcome it with open arms and common sense would prevail . Who in there right mind would have an issue with it. It IS an evo bike, just with period trick bits on it. You have just found a rare issue that needs to be addressed in the rules, to except period upgrades which include water cooling. I feel the swingarm would be of more concern as i dont think it is a period knock off. Those factory looking arms (i am talking out my arse here as i only think that this is the case)  as you have bought were from 81 on. Please correct me if i am wrong here.
 To ask the same question again, would you take it to a national event? Would you figure in the top three placings if you did?
Bring it and bring it often i say. A beautiful thoroughbred needs to be out there .
I will be keen to see the end result.
If it is too hard and you want to move it on upon completion, i will sell a kidney to own it if i have to  :D

Ok, Yes I would consider racing it at the nationals, but Conondale is a long way to travel from Sydney to find out I couldn't ride it, Top 3 ??, maybe, but probably not this year (Too much going on with work and just not fit enough yet)

The whole thing would do my head in so i'd probably just bring a back-up bike to make sure I got a ride,

PS.. it will be at CD6 and your more than welcolme to take it for a lap or two 090....... ;)

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 10:47:11 am »

No you can't run a water cooled bike in pre-78 - there's a rule in there that specifically prohibits water-cooled bikes.

Look, I've been (and remain) quite critical of the wording of the rules, but their intent is well supported among the punters: To get bikes out there racing, and keep those bikes representative of the bikes that were racing 'in the day'. The 'no water cooling' bit is simply designed to stop people adapting later model production bits and otherwise creating ultra-fast 'specials' that never existed in the day. This is historic racing, remember.

AFAIK, you're the first person to seriously want to build and race a bike that's been converted to water-cooling in the history of Australian VMX - so don't go sprouting off about scrutinazis or the idiocy of the rules, because its simply a new issue that needs to be addressed, and you sound like you're having a tantrum....

Based on the responses so far, its clear that most people are happy for a bike using period parts to be raced in the Evo class. So if you genuinely want to race the bike, then its up to you to put in a submission to the Historic Commission explaining what you want them to allow, and why they should allow it.
Yes its some work for you, and success is not assured, but if really is important for you to race this bike in the Evo class, then its a minor hassle - sure it'll take a few hours at the PC, but compared to the time you'll spend building the bike, I'm sure those few hours will be trivial....

Alternatively, you'd be more than welcome at ANY race meet in the country to simply turn up and race with the pre-85 bikes. And if you're not chasing throphies, then there's no bad point for you.

No tantrums here buddy, where did you get that from>??????. Just asking the question before I drag a bike for 1200klm's that I can't ride,

Fortunately I have enough bikes in the stable that I can just peel anouther one out and ride that,... ;)

Unfortunately, no one will see the Banzai in action at the nationals...... :(

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 11:03:36 am »
Here:
well thats just stupid, ... No wonder none of the trick bikes never make it to the track, too many scruitinazi's out there , and I certainly don't have the temprement to deal with them,... >:(

I kinda figured you weren't typing with your fists, with tears streaming down your screwed up face, but the language was sounding pretty emotional. :)