Author Topic: Dirt Tracks Future  (Read 14777 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Dirt Tracks Future
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 11:24:03 am »
That's interesting Wally,we know that MA pushes big for the junior modern MX riders to head over and beyond our blue waters,it would also be interesting to know how much of a hand MA have put in for Jason Crumps career.All down to sponsors I suppose.   :-\

I reckon MA are doing a great job getting this Broadford event going with all the disciples, 8)
This is a prime time to get those DT people and bikes out to show MA how popular/strong it can/will be.
cheers
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 11:29:33 am by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2008, 12:55:24 pm »
All of this multipe round championship stuff may be OK for the moderns but it's not suitable for the more relaxed and not so dedicated vintage racer. The carnival style one weekend Nats format is perfect for our movement and shouldn't be changed.
 I go back to my original post on this and repeat that making wholesale changes to dirt track that will overnight disadvantage and eventually make the slider obsolete is just plain wrong. I agree that we need to encourage new blood to the sport and that some of the suggestions have merit but my stand is to keep the slider in its rightful place as the premier dirt track vehicle.

With all of this new track format and uniform surfaces, who's going to pay for it? I can't see the Nepean Motorsports Club going into debt to revamp Nepean and I'd be pretty surprised if the local council would approve a DA anyway. The more I think about this the snottier it gets. Are Wayne Gardner and Paul Caslick going to donate the millions of dollars needed to revamp the tracks? 

It's all very well to start developing young riders into future World Champions by nurturing them through the ranks from Pee Wees on but at what cost to the general dirt track racers like you and I does it come? MA money would be far better spent in developing an Institute of Sport style development program for gifted young riders from all the different disciplines not just dirt track/road racing, with them being full time students just like our swimmers and track and field athletes. The government should be lobbied to contribute X amount of dollars to kick off a system, perhaps tying it in with the Institute of Sport to take advantage of the training, nutrition and health experts and facilities. A training track complex could be set up in the A.C.T, perhaps enlarging on an existing venue by adding a speedway, motard and supercross tracks to the current venue. Perhaps Garry Wilmingtons new car racing training facility at Marulan and Wakefield Park could be utilised for road race training, and people like Steve Gall and even Wayne Gardner and Paul Caslick employed as full time coaching directors. We have some of the Worlds best sports trainers in this country so why not include motorcycling under the Institute of Sport banner to utilise that expertise. Motorcyce racing would achieve far better results for the Aussie tax payer than the sadly underachieving track and field bludgers who, with the exception of Cathy Freeman have achieved little over the last 20 years. Imagine the success we could achieve in Motocross, Speedway and Road racing if talented youngsters could be professionally guided from day one. We would also help avoid human train wrecks like Anthony Gobert and Kym Ashkenazi who were good enough to be the best in the world but lacked the dicipline and focus that the professional training and sports psychology that a system like the Institute of Sport would ingrain into them.
I think this is a far more positive way to nurture champions than by inconveniencing the many to help the few.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2008, 01:39:54 pm »
All of this multipe round championship stuff may be OK for the moderns but it's not suitable for the more relaxed and not so dedicated vintage racer. The carnival style one weekend Nats format is perfect for our movement and shouldn't be changed.

These must be others pushing for this other than Wayne and Paul,surely the real slider people are involved as well ?
 I go back to my original post on this and repeat that making wholesale changes to dirt track that will overnight disadvantage and eventually make the slider obsolete is just plain wrong. I agree that we need to encourage new blood to the sport and that some of the suggestions have merit but my stand is to keep the slider in its rightful place as the premier dirt track vehicle.

With all of this new track format and uniform surfaces, who's going to pay for it? I can't see the Nepean Motorsports Club going into debt to revamp Nepean and I'd be pretty surprised if the local council would approve a DA anyway. The more I think about this the snottier it gets. Are Wayne Gardner and Paul Caslick going to donate the millions of dollars needed to revamp the tracks? 

Surely two or five people can't pull this off,you need a number of riders too

It's all very well to start developing young riders into future World Champions by nurturing them through the ranks from Pee Wees on but at what cost to the general dirt track racers like you and I does it come? MA money would be far better spent in developing an Institute of Sport style development program for gifted young riders from all the different disciplines not just dirt track/road racing, with them being full time students just like our swimmers and track and field athletes. The government should be lobbied to contribute X amount of dollars to kick off a system, perhaps tying it in with the Institute of Sport to take advantage of the training, nutrition and health experts and facilities. A training track complex could be set up in the A.C.T, perhaps enlarging on an existing venue by adding a speedway, motard and supercross tracks to the current venue. Perhaps Garry Wilmingtons new car racing training facility at Marulan and Wakefield Park could be utilised for road race training, and people like Steve Gall and even Wayne Gardner and Paul Caslick employed as full time coaching directors. We have some of the Worlds best sports trainers in this country so why not include motorcycling under the Institute of Sport banner to utilise that expertise. Motorcyce racing would achieve far better results for the Aussie tax payer than the sadly underachieving track and field bludgers who, with the exception of Cathy Freeman have achieved little over the last 20 years. Imagine the success we could achieve in Motocross, Speedway and Road racing if talented youngsters could be professionally guided from day one. We would also help avoid human train wrecks like Anthony Gobert and Kym Ashkenazi who were good enough to be the best in the world but lacked the dicipline and focus that the professional training and sports psychology that a system like the Institute of Sport would ingrain into them.
I think this is a far more positive way to nurture champions than by inconveniencing the many to help the few.
I believe this has been going on for years over in some European country's

[/quote

We will have to wait and see how many sliders etc rock to Broadford Vic at Easter 09
Best is in the West !!

YSS

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2008, 01:51:29 pm »
With the biggest depression since 1930  coming up, just about around the corner , there will be bigger things to focus on soon.  ;) I am glade I am over 50 now  ;D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 03:29:37 pm by YSS »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 02:21:31 pm »
With the biggest depression since 1930  coming up, just about around the corner , there will be bigger things to to focus on soon.  ;)

Lucky West Oz got in on the revival of pre75 solo and pre75 sidecars before the depression hits  ;)  :P
Hope the DT can get on the right road as well. ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2008, 03:21:41 pm »
With the biggest depression since 1930  coming up, just about around the corner , there will be bigger things to to focus on soon.  ;)
There is no certainty that Australia will suffer a depression. The Yanks and Poms will though.
Part of my preparations for a tighter budget has been to start racing Dirt Track in 2008
(I have been Road Racing) and I'll be doing Vinduro too in 2009.
I'll be needing some shocks for the PE175 and some PD valves (from YSS).
I'll be supporting the companies and individuals that support my sport.
That means you, Les at Mainly Maico, Scott at Concourse Spares, etc.
I am hoping to bring a few of my friends from the Dark Side (Road Racing) over to the dirt too.
Dave G had his first Dirt Track meeting when he raced my IT250 at a recent ACTMCC meeting.
Dave R is getting an IT200 together.
When I last spoke to him, Devo was looking for a Dirt Track bike.
Maybe things won't be so bad after all.
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

YSS

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2008, 03:39:56 pm »
I didnt have a go at dirt track , what I meant was , that is not the time to go through the expense of building  special tracks and academies.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2008, 04:00:05 pm »
I didnt have a go at dirt track , what I meant was , that is not the time to go through the expense of building  special tracks and academies.

cool bananas.....yep tracks and academies ,now that is big money  :o
Best is in the West !!

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2008, 11:17:33 pm »

I believe this has been going on for years over in some European country's
[/quote

FIRKO FOR PM !

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2008, 08:25:25 pm »
in addition to my earlier suggestion for a national title event where winners of state title events compete at the"national" event,... this nat. event could consist of say a '5 moto' competition between state winners in there own speciality i.e. all-in [modern dirt], junior dirt, & classic dirt. and a "masters" class for over 55s  with these state title holders all travelling to the nat event, expenses paid by thier local controlling body...that would indicate to me that the controlling bodies were interested in the majority of motorcycle sports people not just the international stars, while giving encouragement to those with the potential. after all it is the majority of clubmen that pay the bills through licences etc.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

number 87

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 01:30:50 pm »
G'day all, please forgive me for I may well be speaking from my blurter as I have had nothing to do with dirt track juniors but would a claiming rule in jnr classes help to alleiviate "$15,000 engines".

Just a thought

Husados

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2009, 04:38:22 pm »
Being new to the Dirt Track scene I dont yet fully understand all the rules, regs and history
I have been a big Dirt track fan scince i was a kid, and only been competing for 12 mounths
But one thing i have notice is that the sport is slowly dying....
Numbers are droping open meetings are being cancelled
But it seems club meetings are still strong ?

What i can not understand is,  Quote ( Dirt track is a good stepping stone for Road racing, Speedway and motorX etc )
WHY CANT THERE BE A FUTURE IN DIRT TACK, like in USA or Europe.

???????????????????

Dave

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2009, 06:14:38 pm »
http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/search/label/dirt%20track

heres something to cheer you up,  ;D the days of Horse track.
Best is in the West !!

no.13

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2009, 09:03:58 am »
Bo y I havnt posted anything for a while and this wasnt what I was going to post but cant help myself, not sure about the survey as some of the questions where already following a direction but I filled it out anyway. Interestingly the Coffs track was designed and built to give equal opportunity to both sliders and chook chasers and has lead to some of the best racing seen in NSW between both types of bikes.Our current club has some of the best people running it at the moment and the dirt track numbers are growing again with a lot of mxs giving it a go.The biggest cost incurred for them is having to buy a new rear wheel to be able to fit an 18" tyre. If a good 19" tyre was available more would try this form of racing.Forget any of the proposed limitations to machinery to level the playing field.I have had and ridden some very fast bikes sofar in my short career (that just means there is more to come) and still can only finish near the pointy end and if I was offered  one thing to help me win I would take a lot more ability any day.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 12:30:31 pm »
Paul Caslick made this comment on his website after the recent Dirt Track forum at Port Macquarie

Port Macquarie, The Dirt Track Forum.
 Sun 16 Nov 2008
… travelled to Port Macquarie for the long over due, Dirt track forum, conducted and hosted by MA CEO David White. I believe it went very well and the host put together a well orchestrated forum.

Firstly we introduced ourselves, then we discussed and agreed upon a purpose statement. From here we spoke of what is good about dirt track racing, what is not good about dirt track racing and what can be done to improve it, what obstacles we face to make these improvements.

This part I loved as everybodies positive points for improvement all motioned towards the Revival Plan, so it showed after this that all of the negatives were based upon personal choices that effected someone and prevented the sport from going forward.

May I congratulate David White, not sure wether this was the plan to expose the personal issues and show that the Revival is a REAL step forward, thats how I seen it, fantastic job well done.

Wayne Gardner was then introduced and he went on to explain how he became involved again with his kids and how the Revival Plan came into effect from an accident that Remy was involved in at Somersby. He had spoken with myself and a number of parents over safety issues, then he discovered how much money needed to be spent to make a CRF 80 competitive. One thing lead to another and the Revival Plan came into reality.

From all the rumours I heard before we arrived how this one was gunna do this and this one was gunna do that because they didnt agree with what was put forward, they were certainly quiet. Some did put their views forward which lead to productive discussions, that is what a forum is all about, not the farce we experienced earlier in the year down at Temora and still waiting for changes from that.

One thing, nothing has been put forward like this Revival Plan to rebuild Dirt Track, ever. By 2010 dirt track will become a new entertainment attraction for all disciplines to enjoy and may the best man win. That will be Dirt Track.

If you require a copy of the Revival plan submitted by Wayne Gardner and Tony Hatton please send me your details and you will have it instantly.

So who has the copy of this plan ? and im assunming its all based around moderns and Manufactuers ? ?? Firko ???
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 12:39:36 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff