Author Topic: TM 400  (Read 18590 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: TM 400
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2010, 08:09:27 pm »
I just hope you find a pipe for it so we can hear how good you break it in and tame it, or maybe it will be how good it breaks & tames you  :D ;D
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2010, 08:11:55 pm »

I have a pipe Lozza special but I don't know if it will fit because it was made on a ts frame and the original owner of the bike Ray very nice bloke had a cheney framed bike he wanted the pipe for and he thought the pipe would work on it but it didn't fit the same as ts400 maybe on stock tm frame it will work something i need to look at but I like the look of the original unmuffled pipe. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2010, 08:34:22 pm »
I just hope you find a pipe for it so we can hear how good you break it in and tame it, or maybe it will be how good it breaks & tames you  :D ;D

I think there will be only one way to ride this bike no stuffing around on it just as fast I can go on it I will have to sign up to CSC and get to some of the events on it, I don't think I will be able to ride it like I can my PE where you can go any speed or revs the tm will be fun,
1971 tm400 and PE's

oldfart

« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2010, 07:09:45 pm »
Should look a million bucks when finished ..... Ride it like it's stolen  ;D

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2010, 10:10:12 pm »
I hope so but I still want to race it I have taken note of what Firko says re wheels being a major point of a restoration not just polishing them I will get the spokes zinc coated and have the akront rims rechromed.

I will have to get some 400 stickers etc etc it is pretty much a complete bike though, does anyone have any engine recomendations re what to look for I will replace as much as possible any way don't want to be pulling the motor out again.

Not to much needs doing saying that everything needs doing I can't see it taking anywhere near as long as the gt80 though I hope to have it done by the end of the year. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2010, 11:37:39 pm »
I found an old pic of the Cheney and my TS together. With the benfit of hindsight the Cheney swingarm looks to be at least 50mm shorter, the front rake kicked out and the engine carried higher.The differences are subtle and not realy visable without a TM/TS for comparison.Would explain why the pipe fitted on the TS had no hope of fitting on the Cheney. Would love to hear Eric's thoeries and ideas on the frame design.

There is a trick to getting the cases back together(and apart) there is a spring that goes from 1 case half to another. I just forget what it is now,maybe Zorroz/Doc can remind me. I think it is assemble the crank and gearbox in the left case half???? Replace the crank main bearings and that's about it. Gearbox is bullet proof so is tha rod/crank assembly.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2010, 11:46:13 pm »
Mine is stock 71 frame so that pipe may just fit nicely providing that ts and tm400 frames are close. Mine also looks like it has different shocks I will have to keep a look out on us ebay for a stock pipe too if the one I have works I will use it though, thanks Michael.
1971 tm400 and PE's