Author Topic: 2009 qvmx sunshine coast mcc vintage nationals update  (Read 103932 times)

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 qvmx sunshine coast mcc vintage nationals update
« Reply #450 on: August 13, 2009, 01:59:53 PM »
hey guys i let out the original 1977 air from my tyres when i put new rubber on for the qld titles coming up. i want to keep it legal. has anyone got an old air compressor that shit itself in 1977 that may have some air in the tank?

only joking! i have changed my swingarm and cant wait for proserpine this weekend and then the qld titles. i reckon we should all contact QMA and nominate the aussie titles as the best meet of the year. as a way to thank every one for the work they did to allow all of us to ride. they do give out awards like that i think.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 13, 2009, 02:06:22 PM »
ive got a wheel and tyre here from a studiebaker champion that still has air in it from when i bought it home 200 years ago  if you can transfer the co2 and pay postage its all yours

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #452 on: August 13, 2009, 02:09:55 PM »
ive got a wheel and tyre here from a studiebaker champion that still has air in it from when i bought it home 200 years ago  if you can transfer the co2 and pay postage its all yours

You just can't let it go eh?  ::)

firko

« Reply #453 on: August 13, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »
Brook Lawson on his father Peters controversial pre 65 Beeza.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 13, 2009, 02:29:11 PM »
I have just been speaking to a past Pro MX rider and he told me that back in the day some Honda riders would install Honda 1988 USD forks to their older four stroke Honda mechines.
Where are our Honda/Simon's fork experts.
Were the USD forks on Glen's bike Simon's or later model Honda?
Just because the forks had a Simon's sticker on them does not mean that they are in fact Simon's.
After all how hard would it be to find 1984 Simon's USD forks, front hub, disc brakes and triple clamps to set up a CR500 1984?

I am not attacking any one I would just like to know,
Are they
a) Honda or
b) Simon's forks ?

Ji

I am unsure who is the owner of this image but I would like to use it for educational purposes.
First off Honda didnt have USD until 89 and believe they were bad.Better off with a pair of 86/87/88 conventionals.
Belly's forks are Simons- BILLET ENDS, BILLET CLAMPS ETC
GOOD LUCK WITH FINDING A PAIR FOR ANY MODEL BIKE

kaw440

« Reply #455 on: August 13, 2009, 02:37:36 PM »
To clear up the cr500 simons forks on the bike that glen rode i had 2 sets of them. They are simons forks on the cr and are pre85 legal as i raced in that class the only thing that was suspect was the wave disc and the year of the front brakes but who gives a he would have won on a bike with standard brake or even twin leading shoes maybe i should have protested then i would have got 3rd overall but i dont want something i didnt earn

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 13, 2009, 02:38:14 PM »
hey guys i let out the original 1977 air from my tyres when i put new rubber on for the qld titles coming up. i want to keep it legal. has anyone got an old air compressor that shit itself in 1977 that may have some air in the tank?

only joking! i have changed my swingarm and cant wait for proserpine this weekend and then the qld titles. i reckon we should all contact QMA and nominate the aussie titles as the best meet of the year. as a way to thank every one for the work they did to allow all of us to ride. they do give out awards like that i think.
After the swingarm you need to change the forks - different springrates and dampening , and also the triples - rubber mounts , and take those aircaps off!!

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 13, 2009, 02:38:42 PM »
I have just been speaking to a past Pro MX rider and he told me that back in the day some Honda riders would install Honda 1988 USD forks to their older four stroke Honda mechines.
Where are our Honda/Simon's fork experts.
Were the USD forks on Glen's bike Simon's or later model Honda?
Just because the forks had a Simon's sticker on them does not mean that they are in fact Simon's.
After all how hard would it be to find 1984 Simon's USD forks, front hub, disc brakes and triple clamps to set up a CR500 1984?

I am not attacking any one I would just like to know,
Are they
a) Honda or
b) Simon's forks ?

Ji

I am unsure who is the owner of this image but I would like to use it for educational purposes.

There SIMONS goodluck finding a pair and when you take a look at the Honda/Showa USD you will see the difference

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 13, 2009, 02:47:26 PM »

After the swingarm you need to change the forks - different springrates and dampening , and also the triples - rubber mounts , and take those aircaps off!!
And reduce the travel by 40mm !or did someone say that the travel is actually the same???

Ji Gantor

« Reply #459 on: August 13, 2009, 02:47:51 PM »
Okay thanks chaps we can now put the forks to bed.

Kawa 440,
I feel the same as you (after all I was in the Pre 85 263 class as well).
I did not ask these questions to smear Glen nor Jeff I asked so I could learn.
The wave disc is irrelevant to me a disc is a disc. If they are in the class Cool who cares what they look like.
Are the triple clamps and brake connection legal?
Were they made pre 85 or are they after market 2009?

If I can find a pair for my bike will fit them knowing they are legal.

Ji
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 02:52:44 PM by Ji Gantor »

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #460 on: August 13, 2009, 02:52:14 PM »
And reduce the travel by 40mm !or did someone say that the travel is actually the same???

???   ??? 

Feeling better?   ::)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 13, 2009, 03:00:07 PM »
Okay thanks chaps we can now put the forks to bed.

Kawa 440,
I feel the same as you (after all I was in the Pre 85 263 class as well).
I did not ask these questions to smear Glen nor Jeff I asked so I could learn.
The wave disc is irrelevant to me a disc is a disc. If they are in the class Cool who cares what they look like.
Are the triple clamps and brake connection legal?
Were they made pre 85 or are they after market 2009?

If I can find a pair for my bike will fit them knowing they are legal.

Ji

The clamps come with the forks, IMO the brake caliper bracket was custom made .Simons weren't used that much in 84 as WP kits were available as a retro fit and were on par or better than simons.
MY OPINION ONLY. Simon might have another view

Ji Gantor

« Reply #462 on: August 13, 2009, 03:04:33 PM »
So there may have been a WP kit that would fit the YZ490's
Triple clamps, brakes and so on.

Cool

Are there many WP's around today and do they go for the same money as the Simon's?

Ji

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 13, 2009, 03:08:44 PM »
So there may have been a WP kit that would fit the YZ490's
Triple clamps, brakes and so on.

Cool

Are there many WP's around today and do they go for the same money as the Simon's?

Ji

WP kit as in internals - with comp/reb and preload adjusters. they are around

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 13, 2009, 03:11:10 PM »

???   ??? 

Feeling better?   ::) Don't worry about me AJAY.im always feeling good. Time you got some TenYear after tunes down I reckon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSkUhw2H57k&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwajCOzcNDY&feature=PlayList&p=D084A5E4856DA2C5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcp66hYmLzg&feature=PlayList&p=D084A5E4856DA2C5&index=4
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 03:13:41 PM by motomaniac »