Author Topic: Removing dents with ice ???  (Read 6317 times)

Doc

Re: Removing dents with ice ???
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2008, 06:50:27 pm »
and not to mention by far more abrasive than most care to realize ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2010, 05:03:38 pm »
Ice, too smaller freezer and coke,bourbon aside.....
GMC how do we get the dents out of the TM pipe ?? Need a 11 day cure fast  :P
cheers TM west crew
same technique  ?
quote:Avoid pressureising tanks to remove dents as it can destroy a good tank.
The pressure will spread the sides outwards, & at the same time the underneath will close in making it hard to fit back over the frame, & every slightly flat part of the tank will become rounded. This sort of damage is hard to reverse.
Best thing is to cut a small hole underneath to get some dolly bars in then weld the hole up later. The size of the hole depends on the size of the dent & how many dents. Sometimes a 1 1/8" holesaw is enough, sometimes a slot 3"-4" long will let you get at lots of small dents all over. Cut the hole in the underneath part where it won't be seen easily & usually, depending on the tank & how carefull you are at filling welding the hole back up it can be smoothed over so as not to be seen at all. If you have dents both sides then you will have to cut holes both sides of the tank.

I do however use a very low pressure to test the tank. Fit the fuel tap to the tank & turn it off, then fit the cap with the vent hose & fit an air blower to the vent hose, turn your regulator right down to 3-4 PSI (5PSI max.) & then spray with "spray & wipe"  or similar & look for bubbles. Test the tank all over as I have had some tanks that have had cracks away from the dented/ repaired area
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:07:24 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2010, 05:15:51 pm »
be aware also that a dent actually stretches the metal so will not come back into exactly the same possie again - or at least the paintless dent removal man told me!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 06:27:38 pm »
The best way I know is to de-gas the tank ,take it a panel beater who [after you can convince him that it IS degassed] can pull out the dent with a system called an easy beat. This can also be done by self by 1] degas the tank, 2[ bend a flat washer "ell" shaped, bronze-weld it in the middle of the dent, and pull it out with a slide hammer. On a larger dent obviously you need to do this several times. Then putty it up with a quality body filler. The easy beat kit does this very fast with a series of spot welds. personally I just fill 'em up with splonk ready for the next one myself!.cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 09:28:47 pm »

Pipe repairs behave differently to tank repairs.

Pipes you can pressurize as they are round so the pressure won’t transform the general shape where as  tanks are odd shapes and the pressure will push out in the weakest spots changing the general shape of the tank.

An 11 day cure? Well if you’ve not played with pressure and heat before and you don’t know anyone on your side of the world then Express post it over and I will sort it out.
General questions are…
Has the pipe been repaired before, as in large lumps of welds or, gasp, bronze?
Does it still fit the bike okay, engine spigot still at the right angle to fit etc?
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 11:33:40 pm »
Pipe repairs behave differently to tank repairs.
Pipes you can pressurize as they are round so the pressure won’t transform the general shape where as  tanks are odd shapes and the pressure will push out in the weakest spots changing the general shape of the tank.
An 11 day cure? Well if you’ve not played with pressure and heat before and you don’t know anyone on your side of the world then Express post it over and I will sort it out.
General questions are…
Has the pipe been repaired before, as in large lumps of welds or, gasp, bronze?
Does it still fit the bike okay, engine spigot still at the right angle to fit etc?

Hi GMC - Steven here. I have played before with heat but not so much the pressure. The dents are not major and the pipe still fits fine, It was more of a case of tidying up. I will exercise my patience a little tomorrow and make up a better plug for the air inlet and have another go. Thanks for the offer of repair service anyway
Why is a bike sits idle for 12 months then we get a mad rush of poo to the head and decide to try and get not one but three bikes going in two weeks and all with there own issues.
Best is in the West !!

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 11:54:31 pm »
Steve - don't panic - as long as they are a goer for Wandering you'll be right  ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica