Author Topic: Pre 70  (Read 11720 times)

firko

Re: Pre 70
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 07:24:19 pm »
Want to sell one of those '75s Freaky?

Doc

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 11:31:15 am »
there's a '69 motor complete sitting on ebay Aus for $35 at present. If it were closer I'd have a stab but logistics on something I probably don't really need makes me pass on it. Be a good buy for someone as rarely do the '69 bits pop up and a nice vintage motor to slot in a champion or similar dirt track chassis eh Firko ;)
Pokeymeister, I'm just being an argumentitive ass about the barrel as usual. It really doesn't matter either way but as Freaky said it does make for an easy/cheap hop up item that wasn't badly ported from the factory. TM250 powerspread is very flat and very very useable but the weight like the TS250 lets it's down somewhat. Though nowhere near as heavy as the '69 TS ,which was I think the heaviest 250 traily ever, the TM250 still feels a little heavy to ride mx :o a lot of the weight on these '69ers is in the motor as they're more or less a T500 snipped in half. This is why they run 3 main bearings on the crank. All the T500 hop up specs work just dandy I've been told by Muz from the T/TR500 oz site. I've all the specs excepting the pipe as I'd like this to exit on the left ;) I like the '75 TM's Freaky, my pick of them all. If you notice all my TM's and RM/TM hybrid sport the '75 sunburst tank stickers/graphics ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 11:37:02 am by Doc »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 09:24:32 am »
mm i like the 74 stripe but i can see how the rising sunsets ya. :O)

yer firko there a few down there i think one is IN bits whichwas quickies bike he was selling and another from memory was your mate cozzies which i think was complete but i havent paid it much notice since last year when it was dropped off, what condition did you want one in ? or id also send major bits (frame etc) if you want to rebuild ya own so you can use new bits and not broken bars, levers, shocks etc, you kow the stuff you pay for but end up ditchen anyway cause they are dungers after 30 years i think i thow out 7 sets of bend bars last hard rubish even took em off bikes cause they where all bend on one side any way, can stack the bikes better now better anyway and theives would be cursing as they try to walk em out the house :O)

i think this was it but i borrowed the forks to take as spares to tassie and hanvet put it back together but im sure there is a complete bike in there somewhere, i remeber it had metal number plates ?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 09:34:29 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2008, 09:34:32 am »
I really only need an engine for my TM/TS. The bike I built for VMX mag a few years back is getting a rebirth as the Klub Kevlar courtesy bike for our friends without a current running vintage mount. I figured that an update on the TS engine would be a nice thing and seeing that you've aquired a stash of TM stuff, do you want to sell me an engine? I can pick it up in December from Walters if you're OK with it. How much?

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2008, 10:44:40 am »
mmm not sure i want to take a motor out of a bike Firko.     A used 75 frame is about a usefal as well the preverbial.  But i might be able to locate one, i came across a Antig with a TM motor in it last week and im sure it would be a better seller for him without the motor in it.

What do you want to spend ?  im guessing you might be better getting one off ebay if thats all you need.

Wouldnt say i have a stash, im prity ruthless with only buying stuff that breaks or is hard to find when your loking for it, I got cranks and gearset from a 73, a complete 74 bottom end, but i cant say i have a complete running motor thats not sitting in a bike ATM.  although i do have a complet 75 ish TS 250 that i can pull the motor out of or sell the whole thing, but thats not really going to be any upgrade from what you have there.     IS the motor in that one you got a TM bottom end and a TS barrell ?  Whats the story with that motor thats in it ?
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2008, 11:17:49 am »
The motor I've got in the VMX project bike is a '76 TS250 that had been rebuilt prior to us owning it. The oil slinger has been removed and whatever mod is needed to run premix has been done. We used the donor bike as a farm bike but the frame snapped in half at the steering head after some solid jumping in and out of a dry dam one weekend. I'd previously found a couple of TM J frames in a skip bin so decided to combine the lot along with a bunch of donated crap and second hand stuff from our stash to build the original $100 budget vintage racer. Since then it's sat in the garden shed and has only been ridden a couple of times. I bought a Circle F pipe for it last year and when you mentioned that you had a few '75 TMs and bits I figured that as the bike's possibly ilegal for pre '75 racing anyway, why not fit a '75 TM engine. It's not a big deal though as the TS motor goes quite well actually, even with the 36mm Mikuni that's on it because that's all I had when I built her......As I've just bought a few bikes from the US and a new bling mountain bike I'm a little short of readies at the moment so I can't really pay a lot.
I came across a Antig with a TM motor in it last week and im sure it would be a better seller for him without the motor in it.
How much for the Antig, with or without the engine? I recently sold my Elstar Maico and wouldn't mind building another. Also, that ilegal YZB Hagon bloke had better watch out at next years Nats. A fellow Kevlar is building a legal RH250/Godden for the 250 class.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2008, 11:35:57 am »
mark
isnt the godden frames start in 1975 with the development of the weslake.befor that elstar. hagon or antig then all the home made ones.i have a gen pre 70 slider roller home made of corse
cheers
jim

firko

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2008, 12:41:19 pm »
Not sure when Goddens came out Jim. Not really my problem ::). It appears to be a vey early 2 stroker version though. I'm sure this frame could morph into a home made one if need be.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2008, 02:17:49 pm »
Pattons motor was a MXB 75/76 looing at the serial number not a YZ, either way it and no PRe 75 unit, specially as its a major component and aint no follow on.    Not sure why he dont use a 74 mx it will fit strainght in the frame anyway.......actually come to think of it i know why id be trying to get a B motor through..............
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2008, 04:10:36 pm »
cliff has parked the hagon yamaha
riding his jap and later mod jawa
as you know 75 modles were around in 1974 but deemed as 1975.
hagon & paul spoonner from sydney sold the latest motor in frames avalable.kevin (cliffs dad) raced the bike in 1974 and won state and national titles on it.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2008, 06:03:09 pm »
Getting back to the pre70 Suz, the early barrels had the oil injection point on RHS of barrel while later ones are on left I believe. Same stud pattern (as another has said).

What Lozza maybe getting at wrt being better off w TS barrell over TM to start w is that TS barrel had unbridged Ex port which flows better (when enlarged) than bridged one.

Wrt pre70 RHs & TMs, I'm no Suzi guru but I tho't it was only the 67 TM that was also called the RH66 - exact same bike. As far as I knew, it was the only pre70 'RH' available to the public.

The RH69-70 is VERY diff to any TS/TM pre or post 70.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2008, 10:56:26 pm »
Pattons motor was a MXB 75/76 looing at the serial number not a YZ, either way it and no PRe 75 unit, specially as its a major component and aint no follow on.    Not sure why he dont use a 74 mx it will fit strainght in the frame anyway.......

Is it possible that a MX-B motor is a 'follow-on' version of the YZ-B motor?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2008, 10:59:16 pm »
Pattons motor was a MXB 75/76 looing at the serial number not a YZ, either way it and no PRe 75 unit, specially as its a major component and aint no follow on.    Not sure why he dont use a 74 mx it will fit strainght in the frame anyway.......

Is it possible that a MX-B motor is a 'follow-on' version of the YZ-B motor?

NO, they use the 509 prefix which can be fitted out with YZ250C parts very easily. Definitely not pre '75 kosher.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2008, 12:53:17 am »
Of course. Which is why you shouldn't drink and post...

Then again, maybe the MX-B engine is arguably a carry-over for the MX-A or DT-A engine?
Radially finned head is not OK, but the rest is?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2008, 09:02:47 am »
Pattons motor was a MXB 75/76 looing at the serial number not a YZ
Ooops, I made a Freudian slip, I knew it was an MX B but kept calling it a YZ B, the first is ilegal, the second legal.
No matter what slant is put on it, the MX B engine is not eligible for pre '75. While it's certainly based on the earlier MX/DT A engine, it is its own entity and not a flow on. The rules are the rules and the MX 250B is not, and never has been legal for pre '75. John Langfield had no right to overrule Dave Tanner, the official eligibility steward on his decision to not allow Pattons bike to race. The fact that Kevin Patton may have ridden the bike in 1974 means two fifths of fork all as the MX250 B is the factory designated 1975 model. The fact that it may have been available in late '74 is irrelevent.
If I had come second to that bike at the Canberra Nats I'd feel cheated and let down by the system.