Author Topic: DC Plastics ????  (Read 31523 times)

Mick

DC Plastics ????
« on: November 01, 2008, 05:51:18 pm »
I just spent $200.00 on a couple of DC Plastics for my IT 175 G and what total crap they are, no were near like DC claims they are, headlight will not fit in to surround, holes missing and ones that are there dont match up good and there is plenty of other bits that are missing or even new things molded in that look nothing like the real thing,,,but i guess most of you here already know this and now i do to   :-\ ,,,
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:38:56 pm by Mick »

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Garbage Plastics
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 06:00:32 pm »
welcome to the complants about dc club >:(
MUGEN power

Mick

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 06:22:14 pm »
Yes i figgered there would be plenty disapointed with what they got,  which is nothing like what the DC site states they are,,,,im wondering if it would be worth writing to the Yamaha, Suzuki,s etc, etc companys and see if they would start making these plastics they have stopped,,,,i mean you can still buy some plastics for some bikes, but just not all the plastics for that year,,,,im guessing they would still have the molds and now with so many people around the world wanting these,,,,i would pay good money for these atleast then i would get quality plastics.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 05:49:09 pm by Mick »

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 06:50:00 pm »
I've heard a lot of complaints about DC Plastics, but have never tried them myself. I need a rear guard for my IT175G, did you get one of those at all? How well did it fit? Cos I am happy to buy one if it's at all close. It only has to be good enough to bolt on as it's a vinduro bike.

I am right for sidecovers and front guard as the originals are fine, but clearly the owner has discovered just how far back the wheelie balance point is on these things...

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 07:53:21 pm »
im very sorry you had to find out this for your self. you are certainly not the only who has been dissapointed with their stuff
i dont know why they have gone to all this trouble and effort to make vintage plastics but are producing sub standard quality.
some of the parts they do dont have proper mounting tabs and when you ask why they just brush you off and say 'just use zip ties'  ::)
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 07:53:59 pm »
Sure, what DC plastics makes is never going to match what a large Japanese corporation can manufacture but do you have any idea what it costs for him to make just ONE mold for a set of side covers (about $5000!) and when you look at the full inventory of what he is reproducing it represents a HUGE investment. Instead of bad mouthing the guy ('cause it is just ONE guy) how about giving back some constructive critisism, he completely abandoned a whole run of YZ465/250 side covers because of fitting issues (500 sets) and remade them much better. I have bought plastics for several different makes and models and have found they were all strong and durable yet not concourse or museum quality, which for a RACER doesn't mean squat. My MX250 has a full set of DC plastics and looks quite good for a race bike.For your IT I suggest buying Xtreme YZ Vacuum formed YZ125G side covers and fenders in white and a white Clarke tank and a white TT250G headlight and it would look sweet.

Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 08:00:48 pm »
its only vacume formed stuff which is cheaper and easier than injection moulding. if it was $5000 a mould we would be paying more for the pieces. the cheap prices tell the story. or they are selling at a loss (unlikley for a big company). thats just what i think. i know how much it cost to set up injection moulding to reproduce the PE headlight shells, and it wasnt cheap and the shells them selves are quite expensive and are still being sold for little or no profit because the guy is a good bloke and is making money on other stuff.

i just hope others see this topic as a warning, to avoid being as disapointed as Mick
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 08:04:10 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 08:09:28 pm »
ive a few thing from  dc  and some is good and some is a bit iffy .im waiting  on some side cover for the franken bike  maico and i asked them (dc)  if there red 78/79  plastics are the same red as the 81 ,which he said it was so time will tell
the reason i say this is because i painted the frame and tank a deeper red , colour matched from old  parts on the 79 frame and the  earlier bikes were a bit darker red and the dc plastics for that model were a bit more on the orangey red than darker earlier red  colour  
makes sence  to me any way  

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 08:27:17 pm »
its only vacume formed stuff which is cheaper and easier than injection moulding. if it was $5000 a mould we would be paying more for the pieces. the cheap prices tell the story.

$5000 for the mold, produce 500 sets with a material cost per set of $10 plus $10 for molding and double = $40 per set which makes them quite profitable,
IF YOU SELL ALL OF THEM which is why he charges an average of $60-$70 per set. Still cheap especially if no other viable choice is available.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 08:41:11 pm »
i've only ever bought one front mudguard and for a race bike, it was good enough but not for show.
a few others i've seen have had that classic "orange peel" finish to them.
however, i did see an orange XT500 fitted with DC plastics and i couldn't believe they were from the same place as they were perfect.
luck of the draw perhaps.
at least he's attempting to fill a need...
"flat bickie"

oldfart

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 09:35:19 pm »
Cyclegod ..... I not going to bad mouth the guy, It's the salt mixed up with the pepper that gives me the shits ( Rm 1980 side covers arn't even close) . As stated by LWC3077 to make them fit you have to use cable ties, there is no mention of this on there site.
Quote       "they are a reproduction - it is great quality and has an excellent finish " ::) ::) ::)

" our products are vacum-formed replica pieces of original equipment "    (  zip ties ?????? )

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 10:09:12 pm »
www.vmxplastics.com

;)

OK, so the range isn't huge ATM, but its getting there - and nobody ever complains about the quality.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Mick

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 10:10:30 pm »
I was thinking of the right words to reply to cyclegod,,,but oldfart pretty much said it for me.

In answering Graeme M mate i only brought side covers and headlight surround which the light will not fit in, so i can not let you know about the rear guard, if you do get one please let me know as im not looking forward to cleaning up mine, i guess i might have to look at the UK for one.

Cyclegod nice clean IT in photo, mine will never look that clean,, im just trying to get mine as close to the way they were when they came out, tail light, seat cover, tool bag, front guard, tank, side covers, and colours all the same.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 06:24:30 pm by Mick »

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 10:48:50 pm »
Nathan, the vmxplastics stuff looks perfect alright. But when's the 250G stuff coming do you know? I need a front guard cos the one on mine has turned out to be from a D/E/F and it's been butchered to fit... Mind you I need sidecovers too and I note DC have just done a new run of 250G sidecovers that look to be a whole lot better than the old batch.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 11:18:58 pm »
Haven't spoken to Scott for a while, but he was sounding keen on the YZ-G/H type stuff.
I was trying to talk him into getting stuck into A~C guards, but I have a vested interest. :)

The more of the existing stock he sells, the sooner he'll start making the other stuff.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.