Author Topic: DC Plastics ????  (Read 31526 times)

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: Garbage Plastics
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 10:31:49 am »
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline oldmxracer

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 11:38:28 am »
I use DC stuff, and will take chances with 2nds if they're available because I'm a tight arse. Beats the heck outa grungy originals on my bikes.

firko

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 11:47:53 am »
I bought a pair of Rickman hubs from DC a few years ago and now every time he comes accross another set he asks me if I need them (which is always). I repeat, his plastic is fine for a racer and cheap. I've been around this sport long enough to remember when there were'nt any aftermarket plastic suppliers at all so we should be thanking these blokes for making our bike building easier, not slagging them. I doubt he's driving a 6 series Beemer on the proceeds of selling vintage fenders!

Offline Paddles

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008, 11:55:35 am »
i've used them on my 465 and yeah they're certainly not perfect, but they dressed up my grubby old shed dweller nicely (it gets ridden). for a garage queen however, anything less than original probably won't be good enough. i would say that as a cost percentage of what it costs to get a good set of nos plastics, dc plastics are damn good value.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008, 07:12:10 pm »
Our products are not meant to be on restored bikes ... Please call or email with any comments or suggestions for our products. As long as the plastic hasn't been drilled, you can return it. If something doesn't fit, let us know and we'll see if we can change it for you.

That's very decent of you and good onya. Having read your explanation I'm more inclined to give it a go.
The two sentences above clear it up - for me at least.
And I think everyone who commented did so honestly; I don't think it was "slagging off" for slagging off sakes.

For me your piece puts it into perspective; you race vintage bikes so you understand; and here's an opportunity to supply our sport with items we wouldn't otherwise source. At least not for a reasonable cost.

Communication. Ya gotta love it! 
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: DC Plastics ????
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 07:24:59 pm »
I see there is a market for DC’s stuff. I would say for the budget conscious or racer. I think the key statement is that DC plastics are 'not ment for or aimed at hi quality restorations or intended to be a OEM copy'. And also i would like to point out that just because someone does a hi quality restoration it does not mean that the bike will not be raced or is only going to be a 'garage queen'

The only part I disagree with is that people will pay $120 for a pair of side covers if they are good quality. If reproduction stuff is damn well close to perfect or OEM/NOS quality then they will pay big dollars because it is what you need to pay to get high quality. There is a low end budget market who want cheap stuff and don’t mind lesser quality but there is also a market where people will pay high dollars for good quality stuff and they do apprieciate the time/dollars/effort etc that can go into making something high quality and close to perfect.

But I think you can not expect to get the best quality parts for a low price.

if all this is clear to people before they buy and they know what to expect then i think there will be less issues and complaints with DC's in the future..

i think a lot of buyers were led to believe that DC's stuff were hi quality NOS OEM equivalents and thats why they have been disapointed
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 07:39:24 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2008, 07:28:33 pm »
Yep, what he said!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline DG 26

• B-Grade
  • 250H 125D it490 looking for pre75bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2008, 07:55:15 pm »
GIDAY
Nathan is right vmx plastics do top stuff ;D
Buy Australian & save  :o ;) ;)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2008, 07:56:49 pm »
do VMX plastics do only yamaha stuff?
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

oldfart

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2008, 08:43:04 pm »
Dc Plastic Guy        Quote    "  The mounting tabs on the side panels are not going to be exact .
                                          Sometimes, you will need to drill the hole one side or the other "

What mounting tabs ..... they are missing all together . And when I sent you a message , the answer was use zip ties ( suzuki RM 250 -400    1979 -1980 )
The point I am making , if the mounting tabs are not moulded with the cover .....tell us

Mick

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2008, 09:10:53 pm »
Thats right oldfart and then there is the headlight surround i got, you can not fit a light to it, i never read anywhere that said you can not fit your light to this surround and there is tabs and holes missing and no matter what you do you will not be able to make the light fit unless you totaly butcher the surround.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 01:12:26 pm by Mick »

cblyx6

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2008, 04:05:03 am »
IMO     I have had good luck with DC plastic, I reskinned a 77 TT500 about a year back and I was quite impressed with the quality, all the plastic, decals, seat cover, and cables came from DC plastic.

So if your doing a TT500 or XT500, you shouldnt have to worry!!!!!!!!! Hope this helps

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2008, 09:55:11 am »
These are pictures of VMX PLastics from Australia that I have here in NZ. They are for Yamaha YZ125/250/400 1977-78-79 model bikes and the IT125/250/400 of the same years.
I can't tell the colour's apart from the genuine orginal items and the shape is exactly the same as genuine, so if you like what you see in the pictures I know you will be more than happy when you have them in your hands.

The smaller rear guard is for the 125cc bike and he is looking at doing other Yamaha models.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2008, 01:47:09 pm »
they look nice in photo.

are they vacume or injected?

are they at the lower or upper end of the price scale?

thants interesting that you (cblyx6 ) like the DC's TT plastics. Some 500 yam owners at the Musters have told me they really dont like the DC plastics. And they are not into or aiming for perfect restorations either.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:51:06 pm by LWC3077 »

Offline jake57

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2008, 04:01:04 pm »