Author Topic: QVMX go Pre '90  (Read 33755 times)

STW996

Re: QVMX go Pre '90
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 04:14:35 pm »
Yamaboy,

Pre 85 will be just that pre 85 as pre 78 is pre 78 and pre 75 is pre 75 not that most can tell the difference in these classes (talking more so for myself there ;D), As I said earlier in this thread I don't care either way I do have a pre 90 bike and will be in no rush to ride it as I enjoy my pre 85 bikes and as I also said I enjoy all vintage bikes and have great joy in discussing them with other like minded people and not just those who think the sport was made for them only!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:23:58 pm by STW996 »

Yamaboy

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 04:19:16 pm »
My apologies to QVMX for mixing my clubs up. I've deleted the paragraph.

STW996

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 04:22:30 pm »
Well I will do the same Yamaboy all good ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 04:42:52 pm »
... you've yet to address what we are to do with all of these classes. I fully understand the reasons for moving the goal posts but now we've got three classes covering a ten year time span.

Fair point.

There's three classes for 1970s bikes, and nobody gets upset about that?

In any case, you could easily combined capacity classes the pre-90 era - as a newly introduced class, nobody can possibly argue that they've had the rug yanked from under them.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

worms

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 05:12:37 pm »
well. all club members will get till the 31st March, as agreed at the AGM, to lodge objections to the proposal, as i felt all should have the oportunity to have a say even if they didnt come to the AGM, so lets not assume anything until then. its was voted in as a demo class till then. the debate about the old bikes staying in the shed is unfounded as the Classic showed with nearly full grids in all pre 75 classes which was a real blast, but i do think the number of events means fewer bikes at each, so i still think overall they are still out there, just not all at the same time. anyway i am sure we all have views, but our memmbers will be the ones who make the decision just like pre 85.

Cheers Trev

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2008, 05:15:50 pm »
I reckon Nathan has a lot of good points (such a shame he's faster than me, otherwise I'd offer to roost him for all you guys he's offended...). Is Pre 90 too soon? I can't say, let's see how QVMX get on with it. But they run great race days and if they can fit in the extra races and boost their numbers, good on em.

As for me, I say bring on Vinduros...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 05:17:23 pm by Graeme M »

magoo

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2008, 05:44:25 pm »
I'm off to the pub to debate this matter with Firko and '67 Husky right now, Should be an interesting night. I'll do a posting when I get back, I make more sense when I've had a few.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2008, 05:48:44 pm »
 Race them if that is what your club voted for. Just do a lot of Vintage Owners and Racers, a favour and take the "V" out of your clubs name, Call yourselves Queensland everything or anything motocross racing club or whatever. In all honesty... the words Vintage or Classic do not spring to mind for "pre90 pre95" really do they.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2008, 07:22:14 pm »
VIPER run a Pre90 class in their annual series.
Of the 15 or so, (usually less) bikes that front the grid, 3 (at a stretch 5) are Pre 90 bikes, the rest are Pre 85 bikes.

Pre 85 has just made it into the GCR's. In realistic terms, this should mean that Pre90 should be 4 to 5 years away from being considered for inclusion into the GCR's.

Given the radical factory 500GP bikes that appeared around 88/89/90 god held anyone when it comes to sorting out the eligibility items.

Having an item passed at a general meeting does not mean that the majority of the clubs population agree with the decision. What is means is that the of the majority of the people that were in attendance were in agreeance with the inclusion of the item and voted to accept and pass the item, as long as they had a quorum according to their clubs constitution.

Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2008, 07:29:38 pm »
As a member of QVMX I voted for the proposal.My understanding is that it is to be a demo class all powers as Worms said.It is not about degrading the classes that are already represented but about laying some groundwork for the future.Natural terrain tracks favouring the older bikes will remain because thats what we want.I ride pre 78 and pre 85 bikes and have no desire to go out and race prep a pre 90.The reverse is true and I am planning to get hold of a pre75 bike hopefully this year.I understand both sides of the argument and some good points have been raised but ultimately each club has to do what its members think is in the best interests of that clubs' continued success.We'll see what happens.

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2008, 07:37:29 pm »
The only thing I would be concerned about is time if the class went into full swing with 3 pre 90 classess ( 125 250 and 500) it would mean an extra 9 races in a day, I don't think that would fit into the already busy schedule unless we got rid of some other classes and that would be a shame as the current race day format is excellent. I realise that it would take a couple of years to get there but when it happens this fact must be looked at. ::)
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

worms

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 07:58:40 pm »
its a good point Tony and all memmbers must consider what direction they would like to see the club head, i think the right decision was made to give all memmbers a chance even though we had a quorum at the AGM. where it goes from here is up to the memmbers.

Trev

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2008, 07:58:53 pm »
Well I had my little 'bitch' early on in the thread, so now its time to address some of the points raised so far, which have been mostly thought out and well written, but I was on the understanding that VMX (Vintage Motocross) was about aircooled, twinshocked, drum braked bikes and to a lesser degree (but nothing taken away from them) the evolution, from the start of motocross/scrambles to how they became the modern bike with Linkages', water cooling and disc brakes. Now with that said, the perfect cut-off to show case Vintage Motocross is classes' going from the early years up to pre85 or pre86 (as we have in NZ). This is what Vintage Motocross is about, not a "moving era of time" for people to pick and choose what class(es) they would like to race a motocross bike in. Yes, the VMX scene is full of great people, but lets not forget that "we as people move on", our bikes remain the same, therefore so should VMX. Before you start to argue that numbers will decrease, that is only if we allow it to happen. Through promotion, dedication and a willingness to allow younger riders the chance to race these older bikes I believe there isnt a need to move the (VMX) era. Most of us have already stated we just want to ride dirtbikes (any dirtbikes), so why do you think the younger guys feel any different?? If they are given the opportunity, most have a blast because its still racing. I believe VMX isnt a commodity that should move with the times but more a "state of presence" and have the people move into the time of VMX. West Oz don't seem to have a problem with filling start gates with pre75 bikes. If VMX is an era in time, then lets keep it that way. Otherwise the sport of vmx may as well be called "Twenty-year old Motocross" for tight-ass cheapskates that wont buy new bikes.
No matter what you or anyone else says, VMX is still one of the cheapest forms of motorsport so that arguement about the cost is irrelevant, and as for a pre86 bikes not being able to match a modern bike, I know of a few good riders who have taken honours on them right up to national level here in TT races, to the point of prefering to ride a '85 CR500 than a new 450 4 stroke. I except that on a modern man-made motocross track a pre85/6 bike would be left wanting but when all things are equal these bikes are as modern as Vintage Motocross need be.

Are we, as Vintage Motocrossers' preserving bikes in an era in time or preserving the racing of old bikes??

If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

oldfart

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2008, 08:50:04 pm »
If the club is happy to have pre 90 races and is voted in by the members, this is democracy at its best .

VINTAGE    noun            the year in which it was produced
                adjective      refers to something from the past of high quality           

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2008, 09:08:25 pm »
But in reality the true vintage air cooled drum braked era has been over stepped in your case DJ via '86 cut off and even in Oz with pre 85. An '84 cr250 in a purists eyes is not vintage with its linkage, disc brake and water cooling. All the ingredients of a modern. They could be run together as a class (pre 85 and 90). I am for it but not in any hurry to run it.