Author Topic: Steve McQueen  (Read 15232 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Steve McQueen
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2009, 09:42:57 pm »
i started to watch the great escape and decided stuff this put on my dvd of on any sunday instead.much better
cheers
jim

Offline Drakie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 12:50:41 pm »
Hey, I heard Tim Gibbes did 'the jump' in the Great Escape not Bud Ekins. Tim was employed doing stunt work on the film and if you look at the 'jumper' he looks too short for Bud. Tim is reported to have said he did it and Bud didn't comment. Is there any more info you have Firko?

firko

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 03:46:51 pm »
Back in the 70s I went to a fundraiser for some desert racer/stunt man who'd fallen on hard times and one of the guest speakers was Bud Ekins. During the Q&A after his entertaining but self congratulatory talk, the subject of the Great Escape came up. One member of the audience, I think it was British USGP promoter Gavin Trippe (if it wasn't him, it was one of his Brit mates) asked "What part did Aussie rider Tim Gibbes have in the filming of the jump"? Old Buds eyes nearly popped out of his head and said that Tim had done much of the preliminary riding leading up to the jump but that he (Ekins) had actually done the jump.  Bud wasn't impressed at all by the question and you could see that he was shaken by this attempt at denting his legend. He quickly changed the subject back to how brilliant he was and it wasn't long before he ended his part of the show and exited, stage right. Later over a beer I was amongst a group of Checkers club members who were taking about 'the jump' and one bloke, coincidentally another pom, stated that he'd been told by McQueen himself that Gibbes had actually done the jump but as he wasn't a member of the Stuntsmens Union the credit went to Bud Ekins who was the official lead stuntsman on the film and McQueens best mate.

This explanation seems pretty logical considering the strength of the stunt community and their union. A few years ago I read in a British magazine, possibly Classic Bike that Tim Gibbes had done the jump and I remember Roy East saying to me that the rider in the photo of the jump looks very much like Gibbes who had a passing resemblence to McQueen, including blonde hair. Ekins looked nothing like McQueen and would have had to have undergone some solid disquise work. Roy reckoned that the Gibbes theory was spot on. As Gibbes and Easty were mates, I reckon Roy knew the real story. He didn't exactly say that Tim had done the jump but you could tell that he knew.

Below is Bud Ekins "official" explanation of the jump
Well that was shot on a Monday and on Sunday, Steve, myself, an Australian motor-cross racer and Tim Gibbs, an excellent rider, we all went out to where they were going to do that scene and the effects man put a piece of string across at all these different heights. The first time I'd take a run at it and jump maybe two feet off the ground and then we would take a shovel and dig this natural ramp, changing the angles on it. And I'd jump 4, 6, 8 feet and then when we reached 10 feet we said that's it--we had the ramp and the speed. Nobody knew we were up there so when it comes to Monday nobody said we'd already done it. Finally when I went ahead and did it we did it in one take. It seemed I was up in air forever--10 or 12 feet high and 120 feet distance jumped. When I was in the air it was dead silent."

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 03:51:22 pm by firko »

Offline Drakie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 07:52:35 pm »
Thanks Firko, excellent research!, Drakie.

firko

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009, 11:38:44 pm »
It'd be nice if the Gibbes theory is true Pete. This rumour has been doing the rounds for years and many old timers back the Gibbes theory. I'd like to know what old riders who rode in the UK and the Continent with Gibbes like Ray Fisher and Kelvin Franks, and Tim Gibbes himself have to say on the matter. It'd be nice to put an Aussie slant on the most famous jump in history but I doubt we'll ever know the real story.

maicoman

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2009, 11:50:55 pm »
What a legend. A natural at anything especially of the 2 wheeled variety. My 5 year old watches On Any Sunday at least 4 times a week. He knows it better than me. Actually there was a doco about Steve a couple of weeks ago. It show ed the classic footage of him aboard the Elsinore for the Honda promo and also they stated that during the making of The Great Escape Steve wanted to do the jump but the film studio and insurance would not cover him.
  But after the shoot was done Steve went and jumped the wire fence anyway, not to prove to himself but to others that he could do it which he knew he could do anyway. An interesting read Firko.

Offline farmpro

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 03:32:06 pm »
Bill Davis from the US here,I've raced in WA a couple of times so I thought I'd let you know the Steve I knew.While I was going to College I managed the local Husky/CZ/Penton shop.Steve was in town filming "The Getaway ".He stopped by the shop one day and asked about riding areas.I advised him there was a great Motocross track about 17 miles away.I closed the shop and off we went to ride.Let me tell you he could ride and for long periods.His Ford van even had a built in tank w/nozzle for pre-mix.He rode CZ's and could have been competitive at any race.He smoked and drank his share of Budweiswer but was still in great shape.We went out riding a couple of times a week while he was there.He was the real deal and a class act.He bankrolled the filming of " On Any Sunday ",rode many desert races in California,The ISDT and maybe the Tropy Des Nations I've heard.It was during this movie that he met Ali McGraw whom he later would marry.Ali was nice looking back then but to a 21 year old college student,I always hoped that Sally Struthers would drop by the shop with him too as she was in the movie and was really a Babe.
Oh,yeah,Firko.Steve said that all 3 riders did the jump at various times but the one they used was Bud.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2009, 07:58:59 pm »
...He was the real deal and a class act...
Thanks for the info farmpro; your quote interests me.

I've long believed our judgement of celebrities/public figures can so often be wrong.
None of us have sat in the same room with these people we either love or hate - we can be so opinionated and biased and vocal as to who they are and what they're like.

Anyhoos, my point is that Steve McQ seemed (to me at least) exactly how you've described him.
'Movie Star' is what he did for a living - not who he was.
It was/is the opinion I formed from the interviews, press clippings and movies.
Now he's gone I'm glad to hear positive comments like yours. Good onya!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2009, 08:42:32 pm »
Gotta say, being brought up in NZ as a youngster, we were always taught that Tim Gibbes did the jump, and that in spite of PR, press and hype to the contrary, that was the case. I've never met Tim, amazing considering the amount of common ground we have covered, but I'd hafta say, looking at the jump that made it into the film, it does look like Bud with a blonde hair rinse.... will we ever know ? Steve and Bud are gone, and Tim's very shy..... ???
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

maicopunk

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2009, 10:50:14 pm »
OK get the forensics kit out and see if you can figure it out.

Steve McQueen...

The jump...  this guy looks taller than Steve McQueen but otherwise not much to go on.

Tim Gibbes (left) and Bud Ekins (right) in 1964... 

Buggered if I know.

mx250

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2009, 07:45:31 am »
...He was the real deal and a class act...
Thanks for the info farmpro; your quote interests me.

I've long believed our judgement of celebrities/public figures can so often be wrong.
None of us have sat in the same room with these people we either love or hate - we can be so opinionated and biased and vocal as to who they are and what they're like.

Anyhoos, my point is that Steve McQ seemed (to me at least) exactly how you've described him.
'Movie Star' is what he did for a living - not who he was.
It was/is the opinion I formed from the interviews, press clippings and movies.
Now he's gone I'm glad to hear positive comments like yours. Good onya!

Ditto on all accounts for me, well put Wombie. And thanks thanks also Farmpro, thanks for sharing that privilleged insight on Steve.

Now, who gonna do the Steve McQueen T-shirts? I want a black T with that colour altered shot of 'Harvey' at the ISDT ;D>

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Best is in the West !!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 11:41:39 pm »
Here's your Metisse to live out those McQueens dreams for you firko(one pg1) replica's now made. ;D

http://www.metisse-motorcycles.com/

A link still remains to the good old days with my favorite actor James Garner who starred in the late 50's early 60's movie 'Grand Prix' did most of his own driving raced an Indy car and did just about all of the driving in every chase in the semilal "Rockford Files' TV series.

On another note the gun totin Sarah Palin pic is a fake.
Jesus only loves two strokes

firko

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009, 11:54:44 pm »
Clints still with us too. I saw Grand Torino today and the old fellas still got it.

211kawasaki

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 05:28:16 pm »
Take a read of his Bio, one of the better books you will read with little reference to On Any Sunday

Interesting Trivia

His production company was called Solar Productions, it funded On Any Sunday. Steve lived on Solar Drive in the Hollywood Hills, went there for a look last year. One of his big ambitions was to be just like everyone else but could never be, he just wasnt like anyone else, how he got to where he was and did so well took some real gritt, he cam from shit and made a name for himself; he did what he wanted to do on the way - my kind of guy.