Author Topic: Taupo meet on Nov 1&2-The Man making an appearance?  (Read 5009 times)

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Taupo meet on Nov 1&2-The Man making an appearance?
« on: October 10, 2008, 08:46:13 pm »
I heard a rumour that the International meeting for both moderns and vintage bikes to be held in Taupo on the !st & 2nd of Nov, might have Roger D appearing in person. I have booked my ticket and packed the camera, so I will hopefully get some tidbits and photos up after I get home. Tm Bill, DJ and Suzuki43 Taylor will be helping with the event and hospitality-no more need be said there;should be a cracker.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Taupo meet on Nov 1&2-The Man making an appearance?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 09:17:24 pm »

is there such thing as a NZ vmx title event ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

magoo

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 09:41:47 pm »
Sounds like a Gay Pride meeting with TM, DJ and my old mate Mr Taylor involved. I'm sure someone with the fine reputation of Roger D would steer well clear of that rabble.

suzuki43

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 05:56:39 pm »
Calling the King of the village people Mr Magoose and his posse of Honda riding girlfriends: i.e. his 'mate' from Paddo and the Roger Rogerson of the South Coast Marty,its time to get over to Taupo Nov 1st & 2nd because the rumours are true; the man is coming to good old NZ to soak up some prime VMX action and raise some funds for a good cause.
See press release attached below:
Roger DeCoster is coming to NEW ZEALAND.

The greatest Motocross legend of all time is to visit Taupo for the International MX event 1-2 November.

Roger DeCoster is synonymous with the sport of motocross. His crowning achievements earned him legendary status with the nickname 'The Man'.

Roger DeCoster with Ricky Carmichael's #4.  Photo: DeCoster's Kids  - www.decosterskids.com/

Roger is universally known as the best racer in the first fifty years of the sport. His exploits are perhaps only eclipsed by Ricky Carmichael, affectionally known as the G.O.A.T. (Greatest Of All Times). Roger is currently the team manager at American Suzuki and was instrumental in Ricky winning the 2005 and 2006 AMA Supercross and Motocross Championships.

His own racing accomplishments are truly remarkable. Over the period 1972 to 1981 he won five 500cc Motocross World Championships, tallied a record 36 x 500cc Motocross Grand Prix victories, was a member of six winning Belgium Motocross des Nation teams, earned four Trans-AMA Motocross Championships, was a Gold Medallist in the International Six Day Trial (Enduro) and earned numerous national championships in his native Belgium. Did you know he even won the Belgian National Trials title? 

Roger DeCoster - 1979:  Photo: Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum

Roger is attending the special Vintage Motocross Meeting at Taupo on Saturday 01 November. Vintage enthusiasts coming to Taupo can meet 'The Man' on the Saturday and also to attend the International Motocross meeting on Sunday and see current stars like Josh Coppins, Billy Mackenzie, Mike Brown and Gareth Swanepoel.

"I am very excited about coming to New Zealand for the first time. There are so many great things to enjoy in your beautiful country. I can't wait to see the classic machines in the Kiwi Vintage motocross scene and meet the guys who restored them. See you soon in Taupo" said Roger.

The weekend's activities include an informal get together on Friday night, the VMX meeting on Saturday, a special charity auction/social on Saturday night to raise funds for the Felton family from Auckland and then watching the modern boys (and girls) on Sunday.

This opportunity has come about by the generous support and help from Steve Sweeney of Galvin Construction in Australia and Russell Burling from SsangYong here in New Zealand. A small group of enthusiasts have been working away behind the scenes to make sure it would happen.

Roger's place in history was assured when he was inducted into the American Motorcycling Hall of Fame in 1999. He was also named to the Motorsports Hall of Fame in Novi, Michigan in 1994 becoming only the seventh motorcyclist and the first rider born outside the USA to be inducted. Cycle News magazine named him Motocrosser of the Century. Roger lives in Southern California and travels the USA managing the Suzuki MX factory racing team. He also writes a monthly column for Dirt Bike magazine.   

More recently Roger was Manager of Team USA who won the 2008 Motocross of Nations.

ENDS.

For regular updates and more information on the meeting go to:   www.vmx.livewire.gen.nz

Or contact:  Lloyd McKenzie (macka)      021-305-620    [email protected]

Bill doe (TM Bill)                0275-413327   [email protected]

Don Jamison (DJ Racing)   021-348-854    [email protected]

TM BILL

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 07:00:35 pm »
Just to Clarify, yes we are running a low key vmx meeting and charity fund raiser on the 1st of nov at Taupo 3hrs south of Auckland.
We ran a simillar event last year to fund raise funding for the Felton family witch was very sucsesfull.

The VMX event is on Saturday with the charity auction on Saturday night . On Sunday is the Taupo motorcycle club international MX so it makes for a good weekend.

Yes we are lucky enough this year to have Roger De Coster coming for the weekend due to the generosity of Steve Sweeney & Russell Burling.

This is not NZ championship round , it will be entry on the day and classes decied on the day when we know numbers. No lap scoring or points , its a fun day only.

Brad 090 and Suzuki 27 are coming over to ride so its a true International fun Day

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 08:07:11 pm »

is there such thing as a NZ vmx title event ?

Yes Freaky there is a NZ VMX Championship and it is run over 5 rounds of racing, 3 races per round. If you are the points leader at the end of the series in your class, you are the title holder. The Champ.

http://vmx.livewire.gen.nz/MrVMX/MrVMXrules.htm

http://vmx.livewire.gen.nz/MrVMX/MrVMX0809/points/125points.htm

http://vmx.livewire.gen.nz/photoalbums/photoindex.htm
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Devilman

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 08:16:41 pm »
Bill contact my ass i've been so worried...... but now I just want a ride for me & my bro at Taupo...... They dont even need to be good. Its just that if we come to watch we end up rather being out there... so I dunnno what Ya got that goes???? LOL

Devilman

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 04:23:14 pm »
Bill !!!!! talk to me anyway..... like I said I'vebeenso worried ... I tried to cal.... no I didn't but I did email love your form ever since last taupo international....

TM BILL

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 12:06:58 pm »
Nick mate are you and your Bro coming over  :) Mate we can find you both a ride wont be flash (cos it will probably be one of mine LOL )
Do you need a place to stay ? Email me at [email protected] when do you fly in ? look forward to catching up Bill.

Devilman

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 06:32:04 pm »
we're going to taupo ... to thrash yellow bikes in front of Roger!!!!!!!!! Slap me please ...... Woo hoo!!!!! I'm allowed to thrash it right???...... ha ha U can pick one of my (dads) red devils to whack at Oci here next year... if you need some pay back... ha

Offline 2 shocks

• A-Grade
  • Gods Country !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 08:58:34 pm »
Hi Nick,

Hope you get over the ditch, just show those kiwis what a couple of crazy Victorians can do. Shaun would love to get over there, but baby due real soon. We had a big conversation with Roger D at Glen Helen a couple of years ago, he is a real good man to talk to & very approachable. Dont know if he will make any sense out of you two tho  ;D ;D Good Luck & have fun, see you at Wonthaggi Nov 9th for the Viper meeting.

Devilman

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 10:29:29 pm »
Haha Its not a sealed deal yet 2shocks we gotta get air fares at the right price at late notice ..... times are tight .... blah blah.......  so we still have some fingers crossed & continue to battle the old ' once in a life time experience ' thing against the ' where do we get the money '  bros been in Taz, he'll be back tomorrow & then we see...

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 04:59:10 pm »
SSangYong/Galvin Construction Classic VMX Meeting and Charity Auction

Featuring;  The Man “Roger Decoster” five times  500cc MX World Champion

Broadlands Rd,  Taupo    1st  November  2008

Check in ; 9am      $40.00   Enter on the day (no additional fee for extra bikes)

Charity Auction to be held Saturday evening venue to be advised at meeting.

Please donate something for the charity auction whether attending or not as the proceeds go to a very worthy cause in helping a little girl (Megan) and her family (keen VMX people) cope with the medical/treatment expenses.
Auctioneers will be the infamous duo Bill “you’ve bought it” Doe and side-kick Geraldo “He’s Bidding” Parker

Practice order   (and we mean practice)
SmallBore
MidBore
BigBore

Taupo Charity VMX Meeting Race order
Round 1
Pre65 all in
Pre70 all in
Pre75 all in
Pre78 all in
Pre81 all in
Pre86 all in
Over 50yrs
Age group 40-49yrs
Age group 30-39yrs
Age group up to 29yrs
BEARS Racing
Unders Twinshock
Overs Twinshock
Unders Linkage
Overs Linkage
Smallbore
Midbore
Bigbore

Legends & Invitation (Classic Dirt style free riding)

Round 2
Rec
Amateur
Clubman
Experts
Pros
State of Origin and Regions Races (Northern, Central, Southern, World)

State of Origin/Regions
        Northern = New Plymouth-Taupo-Hawkes Bay and north
        Central    = below Northern down to Wellington
        Southern  = South Island
        World      = Those other Bastards

Unders           = up to 200cc 2 stroke & 350cc 4 stroke
Overs              = over 201cc 2 stroke & 351 4 stroke
SmallBore     = up to 125cc 2 stroke & 200cc 4 stroke
MidBore        = Between 126cc & 300cc 2 stroke & Between 201cc & 400cc 4 stroke
BigBore         = over 301cc 2 stroke & 401cc 4 stroke.
1985 and older bike only.
Please ride/race in the appropriate classes
Please bring extra bikes for display.
Race classes could change depending on entries.

Following the meeting there will be beers and spot prizes.

Don’t forget the Taupo International Motocross the following day.

Thanks to Steve Sweeney and Russell Burling for helping to bring Roger Decoster to Taupo New Zealand.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 09:08:15 pm »
Last call for the shuttle from Auckland to Taupo leaving 5pm Thursday, 2 spots left, come and meet Roger and have a ride in NZ.

Devilman

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 03:44:59 pm »
sorry boys you'll have to race without the smith brothers.... *sniff....... we've gone over the books then gone over them again & the team just can't foot the bill. Would have been sweet.....

VCM round 6 at Boagys is going to fill the gap nicely however, so we all get to race.....

Nice aye...