Author Topic: 2021 MoMS  (Read 17195 times)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 MoMS
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 05:31:10 PM »
Plenty of people ride/race bikes which aren't the latest in the period they choose to compete in (they're not all 1984 models in the pre'85 classes), most have some sort of personal connection to their machine of choice & I can't see P20 being any different. For example, my first Husaberg was a 2001 model which is what I now have for P20, it's pure coincidence that it's the latest allowed for P20 in 2021, but that wasn't even a consideration & I would not have considered getting one without the advent of a class to ride it in. I think the opposite as far as values go, any model in the P20 class (1995-2001 for 2021 season) might now be considered something more than a paddock basher & worth saving. The new classes open up avenues for new bikes & riders which can only be a good thing for the future of the sport.
K

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2020, 10:59:57 PM »
These new classes have enabled any Evo bike to now use 2001 components.
Welcome to SEXMAX , 6 years in the making
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 07:35:08 AM »
How do get that Ted? How many 2001 bikes are air cooled, drum brake  no linkage?
K

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 08:46:16 PM »
Probably not many but that’s beside the point.
Take your pick from the available legal components for Evolution Class 2021

AIR COOLED MOTORS
CR 450, 480, 500
YZ 400, 465, 490, 500
RM 400, 465, 500
KX 500
XR 500, 600, 630
TT 600
TC 510
ATK 605
MC 490
KTM 500

DRUM BRAKES
any DUAL Twin leading brakes set up
any SINGLE leading brake set up

NON LINKAGE
2001 Husaberg FC frame, seat, tank, fork, PDS shock
KTM SX / EXC frame, seat , tank, fork, PDS shock

In 2002 it advances forward again, 03,04,05 etc etc.

A reasonable thinking person should have jerried  to the fact that when Evo was moved backwards to the Classic Era all reference of Post Classic component availability should also have been removed.

Offline 211

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 09:41:13 PM »
so glad that I dont give a F%$^ anymore and my 2001 KX is legal next year

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 06:59:47 AM »
Ted, while technically a PDS frame is now legal for Evolution being a non linkage frame from the period & yes you could probably get an air cooled engine & drum front end on it within the rules, please explain how you can get a drum brake rear wheel to work without modifications to either the frame or swingarm, which is outside the rules?
I'll re-issue my challenge from a few years ago: Build the "Sexmax" if you're so inclined & present it for scrutineering. If I'm the scrutineer & it's correct as per the rule book, I'll have no issues allowing it. If on the other hand it's not rule correct, you guys have to cop it on the chin & put this nonsense to bed.
K

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2020, 10:58:14 AM »

Period 20 is a rolling 20 year old class which self perpetuates as the years go by. For the 2021 season it allows up to 2001 model bikes to compete. It is an Australian title class & 3 inaugural Period 20 Australian champions will be crowned in their relevant capacities at Nowra, 2021.
K

20 Champions, 60 Trophies, a lot of shiny hardware and a long presentation. ;)
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2020, 01:19:51 PM »
Still a lot less classes than Classic, and that works well.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2020, 08:34:58 PM »
Ted, while technically a PDS frame is now legal for Evolution being a non linkage frame from the period & yes you could probably get an air cooled engine & drum front end on it within the rules, please explain how you can get a drum brake rear wheel to work without modifications to either the frame or swingarm, which is outside the rules?
I'll re-issue my challenge from a few years ago: Build the "Sexmax" if you're so inclined & present it for scrutineering. If I'm the scrutineer & it's correct as per the rule book, I'll have no issues allowing it. If on the other hand it's not rule correct, you guys have to cop it on the chin & put this nonsense to bed.
K

Modifying a frame or swingarm is not “outside the rules” as long as what you are modifying is made up of componetry from a model that fits entirely within the cutoff year of manufacture, which, now, happens to be 2001. What you are actually modifying is a “era legal model” and componetry which is permissible.

The rules clearly state “ Modifying LATER equipment to comply will not be allowed “

There is not one piece of equipment on a 2001 machine that falls into the “ later equipment “ barrow and is free to modify how one pleases.

Fitting the wheel is too easy????????

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2020, 06:52:02 AM »
The fact in your example is that you'd be modifying a disc brake swingarm to accept drum brakes which is outside the rules, just like you can't modify a set of disc brake forks to accept drum brakes. Go, ahead & build the Sexmax & let's see where it goes.
K

Offline Dungar Pilot

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2020, 08:29:51 AM »
Hi All,
The fact in your example is that you'd be modifying a disc brake swingarm to accept drum brakes which is outside the rules, just like you can't modify a set of disc brake forks to accept drum brakes. Go, ahead & build the Sexmax & let's see where it goes.
K
After following this thread since the start as I find rule interpretation fascinating, I just want to say that I am sitting on the fence and have no agenda at all. However curiosity gets the better of me and I am now wondering what exactly is a SEXMAX?

Is it a Myth?

Is it something that only comes up around campfires?

Has anyone actually seen one?

Is it an acronym?

Is it a pseudinym?

Is it something that has existed before?

Will they go into production?

Is it going to be readily available?

Is anyone else getting one?

Just asking because I think I want one?

Do we get a choice of colours?

Will I look good on one?

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2020, 10:36:24 AM »
K

Modifying a frame or swingarm is not “outside the rules” as long as what you are modifying is made up of componetry from a model that fits entirely within the cutoff year of manufacture, which, now, happens to be 2001. What you are actually modifying is a “era legal model” and componetry which is permissible.

The rules clearly state “ Modifying LATER equipment to comply will not be allowed “

There is not one piece of equipment on a 2001 machine that falls into the “ later equipment “ barrow and is free to modify how one pleases.

Fitting the wheel is too easy????????

In the case of EVO bikes anything that is Disc brake, water cooled or mono is later equipment as the class is technology based and not year model based. That means that everything on almost all 2001 models is later equipment as the definition of later is that it comes after something and in Evo the something is the technology and not a point in time.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2020, 09:00:42 PM »
K

Is it just your opinion that modifying a disc equipped fork or swingarm is illegal because that’s not what the rules state. There is not one reference to disc brake conversions whatsoever being legal or illegal in the rule book for Evolution class.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2020, 06:47:12 AM »
No Ted, it's your opinion that you can modify non drum brake, air cooled or no linkage components to comply with the Evolution rules which is incorrect on all counts.
K

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2020, 08:37:49 AM »
Dungar Pilot's questions got me intrigued, so I did some research.

From the Oxford dictionary: Sexmax: A fable worthy of Aesop or a tale from the brothers Grimm. Catergorised with the Yetti, Loch Ness Monster & El Chupacabra.

From the latest edition of Roget's Theasaurus: Sexmax: Fake news.
K