Author Topic: CASTELLA VINDURO (JUZ’ PLACE) SEPT 28TH  (Read 8930 times)

mx250

Re: CASTELLA VINDURO (JUZ’ PLACE) SEPT 28TH
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 09:37:44 AM »
I thought I saw you take a bit of a spill at one stage Geoff, no injuries like that time at Barabool I hope.
Cheers,
K

Fortunately I survived this one unscathed, stepped sideways as you went by, a log rolled under my foot & down I went, thought I might have something good for the bloopers scenes but it just ended up more footage of the sky & ground ;D

Pit crews & photographers have much riskier lives than racers ;D
All this excitement happened on the fire breathing DT Geoff? ::)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 10:00:36 AM »
Err, there was no bike involved in Geoffs "crash"!
Cheers,
K

Mick

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 12:35:36 PM »
There was 2 people that got most laps for the day, but i never heard how many it was, i did 7 laps on my very under powered and next to nil shock travel due to my 125kg on the DT 175 and i was thinking of doing more laps, but the leg cramps kicked in bad for 2 laps,  so that was it for the day, i got to meet a lot of blokes at my first event in 20years and was made welcome and given help on carby prob's i had which worked a gem - Thanks Drakie, me and the misses had a ball at the Saturday night camp, not many there but we all laughed and laughed, bring on easter at Broadford and with a little luck i'll be riding on something better next time around.

Sue my other half, those that were there Saturday night would remember her as Granny Sue ;D  was not happy about not finishing the first lap at Castella and looks forward to having another go at Broadford, got to love the misses spirit, go Granny Sue  :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:52:20 AM by Mick »

Offline jimbo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 08:42:45 PM »
Came home high as a kite  Juz had reconfigured the course -what a blast ! the ferntree section just got better as the day went on ,my big black Husky 390 got a serious workout[the airfilter is beyond salvaging.]The event was a great day out ,thanks for the efforts of Drakie, Juz and all the other people  [good on ya Ray]who surported the day.Finished riding @ 3.45pm -rode the arvo after the presentations with MY MATE FITZY -we just cruised and soaked -up the fantastic layout . 80 RIDERS -SORRY IF YOU MISSED IT .REGARDS JIMBO.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 09:02:13 PM »
Ride Report from Drakie.

"Hi all, we were pretty pleased with the response to the event.

The weather was too perfect (...no rain!) and the sunshine made us all pretty laid back. I had to bring the awards forward to 2pm as the guys were content loafing around talking; softies! We had 85 paid up entries including 35 slackers who rolled up on the day. Oh well, peace and love reined so we let them in.

Big Mick Williams (DT) and Mick Hughes (8 laps) did themselves proud and both would be feeling the pain today. But they sure looked puffed at the end. Sean Hamilton punished his 1980 Yam 50 (...that's no typo) water-cooled ‘dinky-toy’ screamer around, but a lot of the screaming was him at slow punters in front blocking his momentum. Sean’s friend Kristen rode it too and had a ball, even waving over a punter behind him who told him to keep going as the little thing was so fast between the trees. I took a turn and have to say it was a challenge, it's more bike than I can handle. I really don’t know how they got it up those hills.

Other rare stuff came out.

Steve Bysouth arrived with a NOS 1977 Hodaka SL175 that had all the road doo dads on it. An amazing bit of history from Hodaka’s last hurrah. Only 600 sold.  Geoff Lewis has been sitting on a totally original Monty 360 H8 for years and was finally tooting its horn on every lap to his Oakleigh MCC buddies. Prez of OMCC Ryan Nothard got serious the week before, transforming a Honda XR 200 into a worthy mount with new paint and engine internals; running it in (and falling off it) during the event.

Someone who missed out badly in the awards was James Aked. My fault entirely as brain fade had me forgetting to write him down. But every time he passed on his 1971 SL 100 on full noise in flannel shirt, jeans, old Rossi’s and peakless open face helmet made me laugh. This is how we all started and James really was the ‘ghost of Christmases past’. Since I’ve mentioned the awards I might as well let you know who got them.

Ray Scott, cool, calm and collected, and Bendigo Mick both got ‘Most laps done’ (at least at 2pm), 2c and 15a were always flying through the controls.

‘Oldest rider and bike’ went to Ron Mathews 71, and his ’73 model Ossa explorer (it’s a long time since I’ve heard the fart of a compression release on a downhill) on his first ride in the dirt! Ron is heavily involved in roadracing and thought he’d give this a go. Champion.

‘Best period riding gear’ went to Jimbo Laidler. His authentic Husky jacket and top, teamed with old leathers and a smallish open faced helmet that may explain why his face was pulled into a constant grin. And the grin might be related to the fact he had the throttle wire pulled tight all day.

‘Most original Jap bike’ went to the obscure Honda MR 175 lovingly built from scrap by John McClean. And clean it was, as were the other little goodies he brought for his kids to tootle around on.

‘Most original Euro bike’ went to the afore mentioned Geoff and Monty. “The guy I bought it off got so scared on a downhill by it he just parked it.”

‘Rarest bike’ to the Hody 175 Thingyumy. (Only one in the country)

‘Longest distance travelled’ went to the master of the casual pace, Ken Creighton from Mildura and his Bultaco Matador.

‘Best MX to Enduro conversion’ went to Paul Kalika; on the Bicentenial Rokon with ‘No, it’s NOT Drakies’ lettered on the rear guard. Ok, once I get my ignition repaired I’ll show you all the difference.

‘Quietest bike’ went to a stock and original Monty Cota, so it was a bit easy. But, Martin Lewis ran it and deserved it. Now the rest of you ‘cosmetic muffler only’ crowd take heed.

‘Working headlight, taillight, stoplight and horn’ went to Dave Hammonds DT 360. The stock as a rock Yam even had working blinkers, tacho and speedo. No contest. We wait with baited breath to see when the rubber footpegs combined with rock hard original trials tyres spit him into a tree. At the pace he pushed that thing along someone needs to find him an IT really quickly.

My personal award was a loose attempt at humour (dog=owner) when I noted Finn (David Phair) looked as rough as his old fat tanked DT Yam. While he has a nice ’83 250 IT he likes the old dog as he can touch the ground easily in the tight stuff.

Other awards went to Ryan for best crash, although next time we’ll have to have a witness as a crash isn’t a crash unless someone witnessed it. (Zen philosophic question; If a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it, did it happen?) Ryan has to be thanked for the big turnout of trials bikes or maybe word just got out on the closeness of the trees to one another.

Rochelle Wikinson is a pro photographer and we were so grateful for her expertise. Watch the www.classicscramble.org.au next week for upcoming pics. When her wrist heals we hope she will ride an event. Mick’s Sue tried the hills but as they don’t have them in Shepp she struggled. No complaints though and she gave a big thanks to Junior Sweep Shaun for helping her out. Both got goodies. 

Journalism legend Derek Pickard (Trail & Track) got an exhaust plug as a gift and a promise to have it inserted if he grizzles about the tight track again. Son Jamie commandeered his bike and wouldn’t give it back. All this booty (in the old sense of the word) was donated by the generous lads at Mitas Tyres, Stacker Motorcycles, COL-JEN Gearcutting  (a happy wedding coming up soon for the Wood-Stackers) and Riders Edge.

Back to the fun, Team CZ were in strength but only Peter Barrett punted his sidepiper around. Tim and Eric gave Tim’s ’79 IT 175 (with KTM 125 pipe-does it fly!) a real workout and couldn’t stop raving how good the little sucker was. Des Heaney was impressed and bought it. Lets hope he parks that loud XL/XR. Trevor and Chris got in a rhythm with the ATK, IT and anything else lying around and enjoyed themselves no end. I suspect more CZs will be appearing soon.  Another convert was longhair James Kent, putting the late 60s BSA through the trees. Although the bike didn’t want to do it and fouled it’s first plug in it’s history. Tom Hogan’s ’79 CR 250 was hardly kosher but he was radiating enthusiasm so we will see him back on a real enduro bike I recon.  Travis, Terry and Darren (Elvis), the ‘Paky Wackas’ threw their KLX’s around and they sure weren’t stock. Elvis’ roost out of corners was noted. From the same neck of the woods was Garry White, Combat Wombat mounted with that huge fatty pipe. It goes well now it’s sorted and Garry rides it hard. Heaps of ITs were there, with an equal number of PEs. Alex does a good job getting the PE guys along to these events and Kurt is almost the patron saint of the IT crowd. While I’m a fan of the short travel stuff, you can’t compete with comfort at times. Understandably we will always get lots turning up as heaps were sold in their day.  Still, there were nice Huskys, a very original unmolested ’81 KTM 250, Andy and Jason’s very tidy Alpinas and Franks orig KDX 250.

God, I could go on, and if you want a mention next time grab my ear, as I only write what I hear. Steve Juz had a line of bikes fail under different riders during the day but nothing fazed him as he buzzed around the course he alone designed and chatted to all in sight. Actually the amount of chat was in proportion to the strength of the sun. As it got hotter the pit stops got longer, but minute 20 always had the team present as one, as did Hilly and minute 16. Notable team names were; the Tip Chooks, Slob Race Team,  Dare-2-Be-Different, the Misfits, the Kirkdale Krew, the Waterhouse 3,  Team Bent Forks and of course the Paky Wackas. Inventive lot eh?

Well folks, I’m resting and working on other bike projects for the next event; the Honda Broadford Bike Bonanza at Easter next year. We will run a maximum of four Vinduro events in 2009 so stay tuned. As I’m coordinating the HBBB give me a ring if you want any further info.

See ya,
Drakie."

Mick

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 09:11:20 PM »
G'day all, our sons were doing some filming at Castella Vinduro and they have one of you blokes hitting a tree and coming a gutser, it also has about 10 other riders in the clip riding by, but i cant seem to get it to download fast on to utube it is a 99mb clip, im thinking our server speed is to slow, i tried downloading it last night for 8 hours and it only got 40% done, if anyone would like the 1.55sec film sent to them, let me know, it will give you a laugh and best of all he did not get hurt and had a laugh with the boys.

Cheers Mick & Sue.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 09:20:03 PM by Mick »

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 09:33:44 PM »
Yeah Mick i'm up for it . It's not me is it i did tackle a few of the local shrubs. thanks
yzhilly@y7mail.com
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Mick

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 09:44:35 PM »
I,ll have a go at sending it to you now hilly, give me a few mins :)

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 10:24:37 PM »
Still waiting for it Mick i will post on u tube tomorrow if you want .?
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Mick

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 10:28:54 PM »
Ok thanks Hilly.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 09:54:29 PM »
A couple of pics...

Bruce next to Norm Watts Husky

GMC and Tim

Ryan and a fresh XR

The dam Maico lives...

The early numbers

huskyrider78

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 08:07:54 PM »
Literally hundreds of photos from the day are up on the Classic Scramble website.
Get there from either the Pictures (http://www.classicscramble.org.au/CSC_Pictures.htm) or Reports (http://www.classicscramble.org.au/CSC_Reports.htm) pages and follow the links.
Enjoy!

Offline jimbo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 10:29:40 PM »
What a blast! lots of great acton shots ,sorry that I have forgotten the photographer name but she has done a fantasic job and she also rides top job - just a hoot of a time -can'nt wait for another crack. Regards JIMBO.

Mick

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 11:05:03 PM »
Top photos on a great dry track, glad it did not pour with rain though, as it might of made for some real interesting riding, thankyou to Steve and sorry i have forgotten wifes name for letting us ride on your property, i hope we can do it all again next year.

Cheers Mick & Granny Sue.

huskyrider78

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 09:06:04 AM »
The photographer was Rachelle Wilkinson. Agree - great job! Well done and thanks Rachelle!