Author Topic: How to case harden mild steel?  (Read 9261 times)

Offline djr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: How to case harden mild steel?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 03:46:21 am »
thanks Fred, I knew  I was doing something wrong

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 08:28:12 pm »
No gears are not from mild steel, they are made from special steels designed for case hardening.
Getting gears re-hardened is a very risky process. The case hardening make the metal grow and distort and in a lot of cases I've seen they do not fit onto the shafts anymore making them useless..
[/quote]
I regularly make a couple of types of automotive trans and diff gears amd respline others. They are all from 8620 and machined frm bar supplied soft or if existing gears, annealed. They are always sent out with a close fitting mandrel for the bore which is
fitted to prevent shrinkage during quenching and left in for the subsequent tempering.  I learnt the hard way years ago when some very short order Ford 9" lsd gears I resplined and sent to a bloke running in the Targa Tasmania where too tight. The epensive heat treater had quenched from too high a temperature and shrunk them a few thou.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:31:15 pm by Momus »
If you love it, lube it.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 08:59:02 pm »
I think trying to case harden footpegs is a bit overkill, as stated carbon is the magic ingredient that is needed in steel to make it hardenable, from memory once the carbon content is greater than 0.2 percent it can be hardened.
The greater the carbon content the harder the steel can become, the trade off being the harder it becomes the more brittle it becomes.
Using a steel that can be hardened may make the pegs brittle which would not be desirable for a peg, the best option would be to lay some hard facing rod onto the tips, I have a couple of rods here you can have if you want to go down that path.
If you do you will probably find the peg face will outlive the hole elongation problems of old pegs!

I don’t believe hardening gears after undercutting is the way to go either, it’s my understanding that hardening nearly always distorts the original size and so gears are machined slightly oversize, then heat treated for hardness and then ground to size.

Also I am of the opinion that dogs aren’t that hard and are not meant to be. The gear dogs come into contact quite harshly but only every time you change gears.
Teeth on the other hand come into contact with each other several thousand times a minute.
Worn gear dogs usually have the corners rounded off, teeth usually chip, I believe that if the dogs were truly hard like the teeth then they would most likely chip instead of rounding their corners
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 11:38:42 pm »
Gear teeth loads are shared on 3 teeth  as are the point load on the dogs and slots of the gear. The same hardness is all over the gear. A gear is  "soft as butter" on the inside to absorb the shock. A great FEA video of loads on a gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HIJ0nvYF44&ytbChannel=thilak+raj
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 09:17:50 pm »
Purchase old suitcase from local tip shop, open and half fill with wet concrete (a thick slump mix is preferred) place peg or cog on top of concrete then add remainder till full .Close lid ,reopen a week later, Job done.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:04:10 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 09:42:09 pm »
Purchase old suitcase from local top shop, open and half fill with wet concrete (a thick slump mix is preferred) place cog on top of concrete then add remainder till full .Close lid ,reopen a week later, Job done.

:-)
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.