Author Topic: Filling plastic tanks  (Read 8099 times)

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Filling plastic tanks
« on: April 25, 2017, 04:11:30 pm »
I've just picked up a PE400T. The tank is in good shape from the outside but it's dry. I have no idea of how long it's been empty.

Is there any thing to do before I fill it up?

I plan to half fill it and leave it for a few days at least and see what happens
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Filling plastic tanks
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 04:24:21 pm »
pe tanks can split apparently so good plan. the tap may leak as well

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 07:40:03 pm »
Not sure what half filling achieves? I would be concerned about uneven absorption of fuel or uneven drying out. A complete fill would be better surely ????
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 08:16:51 pm »
not so much spills with half a tank ;D

Offline geoff

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:41:44 pm »
Hi....
I had the same problem with a PE 250 tank which had been left empty for years, filled it up with cheap engine oil and stood it for a couple of weeks, then emptied the tank and filled up with two stroke mix at 30.1. No problems.!

I had the same trouble with an empty tank not too long back and just filled it and within a couple of hours it split along the top level of the fuel. You live and learn!!

Offline Oldfart

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 08:41:59 pm »
Brent ... they split on the bottom seam. Fill it up and see what happens.

Offline tymes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 10:08:54 pm »
Geoff might be onto something with that idea. I found once with a TT 350 tank that i had half full for a while then i filled it up and it split. I think if you fill and leave it a little while then empty it an do that a few times it might have time to absorb and swell slowly.  I have had some that have got like crazy craking on the outside sfter they were full for a while as well. Old tanks can be a fickle bit@h.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 12:04:31 pm »
I'd say most important make sure the vent works some times the cap blocks and wont vent and that will cause an issue also some people may over tighten the tank where the bolt goes through at the front down low and that can bow the tank inwards its important to check that the brackets don't have to come in before you put the bolt through if they do get a longer bolt don't force it in it puts pressure on the tank.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 12:56:46 pm »
Wish this had been posted last week.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 01:37:47 pm »
I never considered any of this!

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 07:32:38 pm »
I've got plenty of Australian kdx tanks and have put fuel into old tanks (including one that had been empty for maybe 15 years) with no ill effects.

The pic is of a kdx450 tank that l bought from the UK, l don't know how long it'd been without fuel.
After many hours of polishing, l fuelled the bike and thought nothing more of it because I'd only seen PE and IT tanks fail through splitting etc and had never had an issue with a green tank..

After a couple of weeks of having fuel in it, over a 24 hour period the sides of the tank became concave (as in flexed inward) and began to separate and open up the seam.
I flushed the tank out with hot soapy water, lots of hot soapy water and over a couple of days it all went back into shape with the cracks and crazing closing up.

Very suspicious of old US kdx tanks now and wouldn't use this one for fuel.

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 11:19:25 pm »
I think UV(Light) is the greatest cause of plastic degradation.
Look at the Plastic side of the bike that is stored leaning toward the sun.
Usually the only plastic item that still looks less "Chalked-Up",but still is on the sun side is to a lesser degree is the tank. So Fuel oil must be some sort of Saviour.

Frostype400"s post about not stressing a tank out when mounting it, makes more sense than anything I have heard for a while.

And Geoff,,,,
After a couple of weeks of having fuel in it, over a 24 hour period the sides of the tank became concave (as in flexed inward) and began to separate and open up the seam.

Thanks for sharing your observation with us,,,,
If the tank went concave? It is because the inside of the tank wall "grew" "expanded when wet again.
It may be reasonable to "assume" that a more realistic approach maybe to "immerse" or soak the whole tank in a "vat" so that the inside and outside can expand(and soak up) at the same rate. Maybe pulling it in and out of that "solution" over a period of days weeks or months to give the Tank a chance to normalise slowy,,,rather than Shock and Ore?

I truly believe the best way to store a plastic bike is to keep covers on them(UV protectors).

If the outside sunk and went concave, well then,,,that's a valuable shared observation 

"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 11:23:31 pm »
It would obviously be an expensive one off exercise to create a mould for a rare bike,,,,but "matcho mick" on here could easily use that cracked up sample to make a replica replacement out of fiberglass for that 450 Geoff.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 08:05:09 am »
Russell the clutch cover maker could and has cast a Kawasaki one out of aluminum.
Came up pretty good.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 02:14:34 pm »
I put in about 5L of fuel. A leak started from what looks like a repair on the underside about 30mm from the back.

I'll dry it out and see what can be done. No leaks from the seams.
The older I get, the faster I was