Author Topic: GST on sub $1000 imports .................  (Read 13502 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
GST on sub $1000 imports .................
« on: April 19, 2017, 10:25:14 pm »
Whats the story on the "Gerry Harvey" law ? Is it going to be implemented on July 31? Will there be a $20 or $50 threshold? Discuss......
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: GST on sub $1000 imports .................
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 12:42:29 am »
One affect of "Gerry Harvey's law", is already in place: I will never spend a cent in Harvey Norman, Joyce Mayne, or Domayne stores, ever again.

Already, my experience is the GST on importing $1000 items is 20%.
$100 gst + $100 gst "fee".
Plus an unbelievable amount of paperwork, and hassle.

My friend sent me a few miscellaneous parts from the US. I had to clam separate codes for brake parts, as opposed to wheel parts, etc. I was directed to a 1000 odd page document with 10s of thousands of codes. These were some sort of "import codes".

It was quite surreal, and not an experience I'd like to repeat. 

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 08:03:44 am »
Please tell me this isn't happening now. I just ordered some stuff from the US, that I am hoping will be here in a week.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 08:38:33 am »
I am still confused with whats happening. I have heard....

Customs regulations have NOT been changed. The $1000 exemption threshold still remains and you can still import goods up to AU$1k value without any interference from customs (unless prohibited/restricted items sent) and no payment required. So you'll still pay no air/sea import charge, no AQIS, no duty or GST to your freight company or AusPost.
The only part that will change after July 1 is that some overseas sellers/operators MAY charge GST at the time of payment.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/BudgetReview201516/Digital

https://www.ato.gov.au/general/new-legislation/in-detail/indirect-taxes/gst/gst---applying-to-digital-products-and-services-imported-by-consumers/

Ebay may be going to block Australian buyers?

I don't know how the heck buying some rare special one off hard to find vintage bike part that you cant get in Australia is going to 'hurt the economy' Its just crap. We don't make anything here anymore. We are just an island.We have to source stuff from over seas. I have to source many odd supplies from overseas that no stocks here anymore because, nothing gets repaired on a large scale and its all throw away.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 08:47:42 am by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:41:36 am »
One affect of "Gerry Harvey's law", is already in place: I will never spend a cent in Harvey Norman, Joyce Mayne, or Domayne stores, ever again.

Already, my experience is the GST on importing $1000 items is 20%.
$100 gst + $100 gst "fee".
Plus an unbelievable amount of paperwork, and hassle.

My friend sent me a few miscellaneous parts from the US. I had to clam separate codes for brake parts, as opposed to wheel parts, etc. I was directed to a 1000 odd page document with 10s of thousands of codes. These were some sort of "import codes".

It was quite surreal, and not an experience I'd like to repeat.

We have to do this for every seafreight , airfreight , no matter if its $100 or 10000 $ of value . This change will ad to the cost for grey imports and bring them up to the same level as legally imported goods . It had to happen sooner or later . Once they will stamp out cash (very soon as well) it will all be fully transparent and easy for big brother to manage any transaction local and globally . Its not so long ago when Firko made fun of me when I started to build the "arch of Noah " ;)
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:49:24 am »
Funny thing is that Harvey Norman does not sell 86 WR400 Husky bits.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 08:58:35 am »

I don't know how the heck buying some rare special one off hard to find vintage bike part that you cant get in Australia is going to 'hurt the economy' Its just crap. We don't make anything here anymore. We are just an island.We have to source stuff from over seas. I have to source many odd supplies from overseas that no stocks here anymore, nothing gets repaired on a large scale and its all throw away.

We have to distinguish between commercial sellers of new goods with a VAT (GST ) content or private people just selling used unwanted items .  Sellers of new goods can only claim their VAT back if they declare the goods at the time of export . They will have the choice to suppress the value (in the interest of the buyer) but they will loose their VAT  and that can mean up to 20%difference to the price of goods . But if the paypal transaction or bank transfer does not match the customs declaration , you are in the poo . Sales of vintage used parts from private sellers want be affected as much or not at all .
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 09:39:47 am »
As I understand it (and happy to be corrected), the GST will be added by your "payment provider" so if you buy something off eBay and use PayPal then the 10% will be added by PayPal.  And that will apply to all purchases, something for two dollars or something for $200, Not sure what's going to happen with the current arrangement for items over $1000 where they get stopped "at the border" and they contact you and ask you to pay GST on the "stated value" which is what has happened to me in the past.
So – as I understand it if Billy Brown from Utah sells you some Husky parts and you pay by PayPal then you will be paying 10% extra but if you put money into his bank account or pay him some other way (which can all cost in added fees) Then you will probably not have to pay him the extra 10%.

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 09:45:11 am »
Question – this is a Related banking question - Perhaps someone knows the answer – – –

If you have somebody's credit card numbers can you go into any bank and pay money into their credit card? 

(Assuming it's a credit card we have here in Australia like Visa or MasterCard)

And of course An overseas seller might not want to give you their credit card number but if that works then you could pay an overseas seller as simple as walking into your local bank branch.

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 10:23:30 am »
Right now you could do that . For how much longer , we dont know . There is soo much stuff coming from all directions .  Basically when it all has been implemented , it would only leave bartering , BITCOIN or metals .  The first sign will be when they call in the $100 notes and then it will go very quick . Its not all doom , perhaps Donald und Kim could throw a spanner in the works  soon .
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:26:01 am by Wasp »

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 01:48:46 pm »
If we only have to pay GST on cost of item, than it is not that bad. Have some parts shipped to Slovakia thinking that I can save some money on shipping and end up paing import tax+ GST. Looked in to it and up to 150 euros only GST is pay. Over 150 Euros import tax+GST. Also charges are calculated from cost of item+ cost of shipping. You pay at the Post office when you collect your parcel. It is pretty simple. So 10% is not too bad. Goverment must get money to pay all the dole blugers somehow :) since mining boom is over and most major manufactures left or leaving Stralia. Never purchased anything from Harvey Norman and never will. Still cheaper to order form foreing seller even with 10 extra :)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 02:13:53 pm »
I laugh when I hear the comment the mining boom is over - maybe construction side of things but production, across a huge number of commodities, is running at huge record levels.  Gold is running at recent highs and the number of gold mines opening or reopening is very high.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 02:42:29 pm »
Was refering to time when gold was trading at 1500-1700 per troy ounce and iron ore was trading around 120-140 per ton also called Mining Boom. I dont see foreing companies rushing to this country and being keen to invest much Ross. WA as a state is in realy bad state since it has been counting on iron ore for too long and apart from that has nothing else but some income from turism left. But keep your pink glasses on :)
Anyways. If we have to pay 10%gst on items we get from ebay it will still be cheaper to buy from overseas than from some local sellers :)
Hopefully :)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 05:03:21 pm »
$1000 & 10%, you guys are lucky.
Try $400 including shipping & 15% plus a heap of fees to be paid before customs will release to continue on it's way after they've had it for a week
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:04:01 pm by tony27 »

Offline Oldfart

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 05:48:18 pm »
Tony your on the wrong side of the ditch Bro