Author Topic: 86-95 XR250 chain tensioner release??  (Read 3327 times)

Offline 1983_Enduro_YAMI

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
86-95 XR250 chain tensioner release??
« on: January 12, 2017, 08:22:08 pm »
G'day all,
This is my first four stroke and i'm rebuilding the top end at the moment....She needs heaps of stuff cam chain, rocker arms etc. everything was going fine but now i'm stuck on the chain tensioner....The service manual says that i should pull up the tip/wedge of the chain tensioner and put  a pin through it to stop it from going back down. But the tip/wedge of the chain tensioner in my bike is sitting below where i can't get anything in...anyone knows what other ways to get it out??

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: 86-95 XR250 chain tensioner release??
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:24:50 pm »
long screwdriver down between the chain,& tensioner blade,try & gently lever the tensioner blade flat,depressing (if you can) the wedge closest to the chain downward,it's probably jammed,so wiggle everything,hopefully the outer wedge will rise up allowing your 3rd hand (lol) to grab it,good luck, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline 1983_Enduro_YAMI

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:54:40 pm »
The outer wedge should just pop up when i depress the inner wedge right??? well i tried but no luck...i also tried to jam the screwdriver between the wedges and still no luck.....i really don't have any idea how to get it to pop up now  ??? ???

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 11:29:36 pm »
The outer wedge should just pop up when i depress the inner wedge right??? well i tried but no luck...i also tried to jam the screwdriver between the wedges and still no luck.....i really don't have any idea how to get it to pop up now  ??? ???

noooo!!,you cant force the wedges apart,pharrkkk,inner has to go back down so the outer can come back up,the chains obviously streched to F**k!!,did you try to push the blade back flat, (halfway down the barrell) that releases (or should) the wedges ,you can't sneak the cam sprocket off?,

Offline 1983_Enduro_YAMI

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 08:45:36 am »
I didn't really force it..like you said the chain must of worn to a point where needs to be replace immediately. I guess i'm not gonna worry about it and just take the cam sprocket and cam shaft off...

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 10:49:40 am »
not only the cam sprocket,whip the side cover off,&  remove the lower tensioner pivot bolt,extract the tensioner blade complete,it's in the road anyway??,being not too familiar with later motors,has it still got the small oilway feed pipe in the middle ,if so you need to remove it to get the cam chain out,(think i'll look up CSM's parts for a refresh), :P
ok no feed pipe,disreguard that bit  ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:01:27 am by matcho mick »

Offline 1983_Enduro_YAMI

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 11:22:54 am »
Yeah i'll get to the bottom for sure to replace the chain(but not now, got to take the head off first) I'm pretty sure it still got the oil feed pipe that pumps oil up to the oil pump...well anyway i guess i will be fine to remove the camshaft and sprocket even though i'm not touching the chain tensioner??

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 11:31:40 am »
oh yes you r  :D,heads not coming off with tensioner still attach to lower crankcase  :o,

Offline 1983_Enduro_YAMI

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 12:14:24 pm »
It's alright, i will just take it off from the bottom.. ;)