Author Topic: SNAKE TALES (TAILS?)  (Read 12957 times)

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
SNAKE TALES (TAILS?)
« on: November 21, 2016, 11:50:10 am »
In general dialogue with the great man GMC not 10 minutes ago. He was reposing on the verandah of the GMC Ponderosa rather than slaving in the shed when he let out with a suprised sounding "PHARKKK" straight away I said "Snake" "yes" came the shaky reply and further advised that it was 1 metre long and heading straight for him. I'm gonna kill the phukker he said and with that attacked it with a near bye shovel. This I might add was all being transmitted by mobile phone. All was quiet momentarily and I was suspecting the worst when all of a sudden a clearly shaken GMC advised that he had partially severed the offending creatures tail which had pissed him off mightily as he swung around and struck the head of the shovel. He then made good his escape by buggering off to hide under the BBQ. The snake that is! Who knows where GMC went. Cheers Jerry

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: SNAKE TALES (TAILS?)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 01:09:50 pm »
priceless! nothing like risking your life to sever the last 6 inches of a poor ol snake looking for a feed or a bit of shade.

if gmc had moved at his usual pace, the snake might not have even noticed him... 8)

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 02:27:59 pm »
good thing that joe blake will die after all not much fun when adult snakes hang about your house and sheds. I always have an old rake over my shoulder when I'm walking around my farm which has sorted many of them out before  they get too big. I remember 3 summers ago raking though an old builder sand pile getting out lots of small salt bush snakes when I went for a deep rake though and got the 6 foot long moma coming for me on full s pattern,well with a landing of the rake to jump back got the tail,next jump back the middle and the third jump 6 inches off the head, by that time I was 10 feet tall and bullet proof and decided to call it a day

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 03:38:09 pm »
I remember running over a Tiger snake when I was a young bloke up in the Grampians. Got caught around my back wheel. I jumped off doing about 20kph much to the amusement of a mate riding close behind. Still have nightmares! J

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 08:33:01 pm »
 ;D  GOLD Jerry may have to sykpe GMC next time and get a vid of the action  :)  :P

After 8 rounds in the 22 the neighbour came to investigate and promptly borrowed the long handled shovel. Too easy  ::)
I was feeling guilty after this, as above she/he was probably after a rat in the wood shed,shade or water.
The snake obviously had a history with many old injuries and markings on his/her long 4ft + body.
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 11:37:40 pm »
Yes, production came to a halt again today :o
I had just made a cuppa when young Jerry rang so I went and sat on the verandah to take in the serenity while chatting and bugger me if this bloody brown snake comes slithering toward me.
It rattled me a bit and I'm not sure of the sequence of events so I was a bit worried I may have offended Jerry as it seemed like he had no sooner mentioned he wanted to build some weird Hybrid when I shouted out "what the??? no way Pharrrk off"
Fortunately when I got back to the phone Jerry was still talking to me.

priceless! nothing like risking your life to sever the last 6 inches of a poor ol snake looking for a feed or a bit of shade.

if gmc had moved at his usual pace, the snake might not have even noticed him... 8)

It noticed me I'm sure it was coming straight for me, probably wanted to have a feed on me and then take up shade in our house!

I'm happy to let them alone if I see them in the north pasture but not around the house, had one in the house years ago, seemed to freak the missus out for some reason :o, had one in my workshop too many years back, was never quite sure if it left and had a few nervous days never knowing what was going to greet me whenever I lifted the welding shield up
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 08:19:26 am »
doesn't pay to have them around the house that's for sure. especially as they are up to "operating temp" from 15 to 25 degrees. ie at night! nothing like stepping out for a leak and standing on a cranky joe blake.

Offline jekyll_2000

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 03:38:27 pm »
Must have been all the rain but they are bad this year, ran right over a brown snake while out on the mountain bike two weeks ago. It just slid out of the grass right in front of me and I went over it just behind the head, it pissed off pretty smart after that. Last week out walking the dog I ran into another one luckily saw it before we walked over the top of it and was able to restrain the dog. Both browns, not big but big enough and both really healthy looking.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 03:58:30 pm »
any brown snake is potentially deadly. the venoms do weird stuff to our systems and a strong anaphylactic shock is also possible let alone the loss of skin, muscle mass,  smell, taste ability etc. not worth effort skittle them. if there is one about, the egg in the paint tin is a good method of catching them for disposal (as is a 12 gauge )

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 09:01:33 pm »
We're got red bellied black snakes on our property. I leave them alone as they are generally not aggressive and keep the brown's away.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 09:53:30 pm »
weve got a fleet of black snakes with whom we are delighted to see. the last brown met a sudden and unexpected end.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 11:46:59 pm »

I went for a ride years ago and ended up at the pub in a little town near Newcastle called Minmi.  I ended up talking and having a few beers with an old bloke called Musa and a few of his mates for most of the afternoon.  Now any of the locals will tell you that this pub was home to the biggest story tellers in the whole country.
  Anyway back to the story this old bloke (Musa) was telling me that he had been out rabbiting that morning and he had come across a dead snake,  it was about 2 mtrs long, 60mm round from the head to the middle, 150mm round in the middle and about 20mm round from the middle to the end of his tail.  I said no wonder it was dead.  That's what I thought too he said so he performed an autopsy on it.  He cut it open and found that it had swallowed a syrup tin arse first, it was full of frogs.  Starved to death.  I ended up going back to that pub heaps of times after that and I think it's still my favorite spots to spend a Saturday arvo.
                        Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 07:50:50 am »
many many moons ago. we had graduated to 125 and 250's when ol mate picked up a kwaka 75 for his nephews. he decided to take it out bush. he was 5' 10 ish and bean pole stature. I was waiting for him to catch to me and when he pulled up he was right on top of  a 6'ft angry brown :o. it was thrashing around madly and I was screaming at ol mate to f off quick but he didn't understand why. it hit his legs a few times and then  he looked down..... the adrenaline shot went thru him like electricity. the legs went up round his ears and the throttle was wound on full....he was in neutral ;D ;D ;D. it was priceless. I still giggle thinking about the oh no moment and the look of horror on his face :D

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 11:54:27 am »
We have red belly blacks and King browns on our property and after 26 years only have had to kill 2 browns 1 was stuck in a yabby net and yes the net was in the water, it was at night we pulled the net up our torch was flucked could hardly see, old mate say yep there's some in there grab em, as I put my hand in close to the net it just didn't feel right, old mates going come on hurry up, I'm going nah you do it, so he pulls out his ciggy lighter, shit its a brown snake!
we try to live with them and so far so good, its our choice and I'm glad its illegal to kill them

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 07:17:51 pm »
rake with no8 fencing wire attached to the end works a treat-gives you distance or throw petrol on them ,they will bite where the petrol has hit thm and kills themselves-they are immune to their poison when it swallowed in their prey not when they bite themselves.lost a sheep to a snake last week, a dead brown is a good brown. carpet snakes on the over hand are great