Author Topic: OzVMX to close  (Read 23581 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
OzVMX to close
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:37:54 PM »
Dear all,

The time has at last come for me to close OzVMX. I am no longer interested in vintage dirtbikes, and the effort of managing the forum, website and Facebook page are more than I wish to continue with.

The Facebook group is utter shite - I am so regretting ever starting that. It will be closed by the end of September.

The Ning site I never look at and have no idea how it is going, but Ning has now told me that they are increasing the fees for it to well over 2 times as much as I currently pay. Given how hard it was to get support to continue OzVMX this year, it seems unlikely I can raise $1500 in future. The new pricing takes effect from 1 October, so I will close that site at that time.

I should like to close the forum at that time as well, however I have renewed the server account for one more year following the donations received a few weeks ago, so the forum will remain active until July 2017.

Thanks for all the kind comments, support and interest over the 12 years OzVMX has been going. It's been fun most of the time and I had some great times when I was an active competitor in the VMX scene.

Please note I will be out of town over the next week, so will be only looking in intermittently.

All the best to you all.

Graeme M

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
Re: OzVMX to close
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 08:49:51 PM »
All I can say is THANK YOU, for all your hard work, over the years.I have enjoyed & learn't how to opperate a computer just so I can see the forum lol it's a pitty I can't spell any better lol. Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 09:03:38 PM »
huge thanks to you Graeme as aside from all the bs and politicking, an enormous amount of assistance and knowledge sharing has taken place and I hope you are proud of what the "baby" grew into...all the best

Offline Krikey

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 10:41:44 PM »
Thanks heaps for the unseen and uncounted hours you have put into this forum for us all to enjoy Graeme.

I only hope you can pass the torch onto someone else before having to close it.

All the very best
Krikey

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 11:26:09 PM »
Thanks for the top ride Graeme. Your forum is and has been a part of so many peoples lives over the years and has left many memories. Thanks for that!
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 11:53:12 PM »
You've made the ozvmx community a smaller place,with many people connected to new and old friends now united.
Thank you for that.
Alison WA
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:27:30 AM by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 07:18:20 AM »
Thanks greame

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 09:58:10 AM »
Gosh--golly gosh, been my morning & evening Fix for what seems like years now. Thanks Graeme for running the site-- i tend to forget the work & cost involved as just hit it & 'there it is'. Gonna have ta talk to the wifey now!!. Frequent a 'vintage yamaha friends' site in the US which i love but took me a while to get accepted with my Kiwi Methods lol--the old fix it but don't spend any money trick!!. Seem to do the most incredible resto's up there. anyway this isn't a plug for them so much as a thanks from me to you. Cheers Morley. ps, on 'that' site i'm RT325 which is code for my RT2 with a 64mm DT1 crank, just another cock up that worked quite well. Then went the other way with a 250 [DT1MX cylinder come to think] & fitted a 360 70mm stroke crank. Long story going nowhere.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 11:13:21 AM »
A BIG THANX Graeme for all your great work behind the scene, it has been a most valuable and pleasant experience and we are all the better for it, I wish you all the best in the future
cheers pete

Offline xel93

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 11:34:34 AM »
It's been a hell of a ride - much appreciated Graeme!

Offline Gday

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 12:59:27 PM »
huge thanks to you Graeme as aside from all the bs and politicking, an enormous amount of assistance and knowledge sharing has taken place and I hope you are proud of what the "baby" grew into...all the best
Second that- thank you for an invaluable resource for information and entertainment . I hope it will live on with new captain . Glenn

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »
A huge thankyou to you Graeme, l have received so much valuable information from this forum, it was all l had to go to for VMX information when I switched over from roadracing a few years back.  I will still contribute to you financially as l am sure plenty of pennies have come out of your own pocket.

Without this forum to draw on, where do we go now?

Very best regards, John.

PS, if you're not into VMX anymore, what are you into?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 04:02:53 PM »
I was one of the originals on this forum and for years loved mixing on here with many of the great people involved in VMX. I made many friends (and sadly, some enemies) on here and well remember some of the great discussions such as the Suzuki footpeg saga, the never ending American Eagle/Sprite/Alron thread and many more. I loved going in to battle over things I felt needed nutting out and sometimes got a little heady and would have a hissy fit and leave. I always came back, that is until the last time when after me venting my spleen on some long forgotten subject I got a PM telling me that nobody cared about pre 75 any more and that I and my fellow pre 75 enthusiasts were old dinosaurs. I was a bit taken aback and went away to think about it for a while. Unlike before when I'd come back after a cooling off period, this time I never came back. Oh, I did come back for the occasional post or two but unfortunately the mojo was gone. Certain elements in the sport had ruined it for me and had almost destroyed a good friend of mine with their constant barrage of criticisms of his rule decisions which made me realise that the sport I had started in Australia in 1988 and dedicated nearly 30 years of my life to had changed for the worse. I felt a stranger. I'm only back here today after being told of the sites imminent closure, to thank Graeme for the huge effort he put into this forum and the other offshoots of it. At one time it was the best VMX forum in the world but now it's a mere shadow of it's great years. Sadly, OZVMX's time has come.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:05:50 PM by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 05:07:30 PM »

Thanks Graeme  :)

My first steps back into dirt bikes a few years ago was though your forum.

All the best for the future.

kdx Geoff
Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 06:06:34 PM »
Thank You Graeme
This forum has supplied me with many hours of good VMX support. You have made VMX a better place and I thank you for that. Best wishes in what ever your new road takes you. 

Cheers Slake
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle