Author Topic: Barrabool for sale  (Read 10739 times)

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Barrabool for sale
« on: August 13, 2016, 04:06:57 pm »
Hi all,

Sadly, McAdam Park Barrabool is now on the market. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-vic-barrabool-201571030

For anyone wanting a great investment, now is the (last ever) chance for someone to keep our hopes for Barrabool alive.  As the Sporting MC club is short of funds to buy it, the other option is for sympathetic buyer(s) to secure it for themselves. The club leased the land for 50 years so it is possible that scenario could continue if the right owner comes on board.

We now know the unresolved legal issues are solvable, plus the unobtainium legal use rights the land (and the club) holds will not extinguish until the end of 2017.  So what everyone wanted is still achievable. 

Buyers need to make an offer - no set prices, but in 2009 all 3 lots sold for just over $3M in total.  Add about 15% on top is my educated guess :).

The club is in a position to assist potential buyers through substantial contribution towards either purchase / lease / value adding to property.   

Sure it may be a longshot, but the solution to saving Barrabool is becoming very simple - we just need ownership (or funds).  The rest will come.  Either way there is no risk for buyers so whats to lose?

MA just want this all behind them and will consider all offers.  Anyone with serious intent to assist please PM me.
Cheers, Peter

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Barrabool for sale
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 06:33:55 pm »
Interesting. Is MA going to refund the money donated to buy the property previously?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 06:43:44 pm »
 ::)

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 07:42:59 pm »
Interesting. Is MA going to refund the money donated to buy the property previously?

Ideally, the money will stay in the property after MA sell. That's what is was for, that will stay the goal.

Either way, it's safe. 

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 07:52:27 pm »
fork you MA !

What a bunch of forksticks.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 08:02:02 pm »
    I thought Any money was to Split 3 ways

G.M.C.C   M.A     and the Victoria Government  who help to pay for it.

the stig

Offline Nebo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 04:44:46 pm »
       One thing that not meany people know.   M.A. is Broke.  They have lost Several Million Dollars in the last 10 Years.

They need every Dollar they can get.   Some time ago MA NSW had Over 4 Million in the bank .  Maybe M.A. could ask for a Loan.

I have more to say on this subject.  Another Day.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 08:56:58 pm »
stuff the banks we need a royal commissh into ma

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 09:36:43 pm »
think that has already happened and some significant changes already occurring.  Check out the annual report - that should be available on the web site and will give you a true indication of available funds.  I checked out the WA ones and was surprised how much it costs to run the state one let alone the National one.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 10:06:58 pm »
Getting a bit side tracked here talking about MA's lack of money, what went where etc.   

This thread is about not losing an icon MC facility.  It is up for sale for the next 4 weeks only and if we all want it to continue then we need to spread the word to find the right buyer if possible. It is going to sell to someone - why let it go to someone who doesn't like bikes?  Who can help?

If the club can get it back, big VMX events will be top priority!

C'mon everyone, time to network.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 07:42:08 am »
who are our big developers who are into bikes..big sponsors etc. we might need a sales pitch outlining its basic $ functions and possible events to bring up some interest. the potential land sales are pretty big and its going to need to be a good financial model to get someone interested unless we can con gina or james to rattle some small change...a crowd fund? if 3 million bike riders chuck in a buck....

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 07:48:31 am »
I know the bloke who runs a big developing mob and would be surprised if he isn't looking at it (or responsible for it coming on the market) but bringing it to his attention may have him snap it up if he doesn't already know about it. he is $ focussed but occasionally philanthropic. its a double edged sword. it could be possible to do a deal with him but it would only be a time deal where he ultimately gets the prize but its a slim possibility he could grab it and sit on it  for   a few years for a fee. pm me if this is of interest and i can see if he is up for it. obviously he has directors etc so its a high risk play.

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 09:44:37 am »
Thanks 80-85 husky, we need more people putting on their thinking caps.

A philanthropic supporter would be the ultimate, maybe a first for motorcycling?  It happens for libraries, public buildings, sporting grounds etc, just wish it could happen in our sport when special opportunities like this come around.  We are beyond any sort of commercial venture, been there and done that - that's why MA got involved in the first place $$ :o.

If Barrabool continues it can only be as a club concern running the occasional special events and smaller scale stuff - which is still extremely important for the sport locally seeing as the Geelong regions 300,000 now have no legal facility whatsoever. If we keep Barrabool, the sport gets paid back bigtime.

On another slant - people actually seek out and buy properties next to golf courses just to get their back yards filled with golf balls, what could be better than owning some of the best real estate in the land right next door to a motorbike track? Awesome! 

Crowd funding could also be a winner if we had time.  What should happen there is MA could sell 2 blocks (to motorcycle friendly buyers), pay its debt and then give the club time to raise more cash.  Would be no skin off MA's nose to do that as the gov funding (which must be given back anyway if sold) would mostly cover the $$$ needed - just sayin'. . .

Barrabool was called the Phillip Island of MX - yet here 'we' are letting it go when the argument for it continuing is solid.  Words fail me . . . . . .

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 01:00:17 pm »
I had the privilege to ride the track a few times , starting in 1981 . Great scenery and nice natural layout . Its a shame to see it go .  It want be easy to find an investor paying for it and then have MA or clubs dictating  how to run the show . I have contemplated a few times to buy property in SA and create my own track , but the involvement of MA, committees  or know all minike parents has always put me off .
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 01:38:34 pm »
Barra - aren't there environmental issues involved as well - ie suburbia and noise?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica