Author Topic: Open Class XR race development and advise  (Read 40086 times)

Offline Butcher

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Open Class XR race development and advise
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2016, 06:57:50 pm »
ive had and still have xr500/600s. if its hard to start your tecnique is wrong or it needs a tune up

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2016, 09:08:35 pm »
the big husky is simple.... kick thru till the kick starter stops..pop the decomp and kick it a little bit then let the decomp off and give it what for on the lever...99% success

Exzackery.  I used to have a kickstart operated decomp device on my twin shock Husky 510 4T and it was an absolute mongrel to start. Went back to manual decomp operation and it was much better to start. Figure with the kicker operated decomp I was trying to start it in the wrong crank position on the majority of the kicks. With manual Decomp I can feel where the piston is on the stroke.

Strange thing is my 87 510 starts beautifully with the kicker operated decomp. But it has a better gear ratio on the kickstart mechanism.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2016, 01:01:33 pm »
Convicted to this idea. getting excited :) 8)
Some bits and pieces starting to turn up 8) I realise it is going to cost a Zillion x 3  ::) ::) ::) arrh well, as I can patiently afford ::)
Every single thing is readily available, bar nothing 8)

A favourite movie was "On Any Sunday".
 One natural approach that has followed me since is the "Mert Lawwill approach"
Can always see him as plain as day grinding down that Harley cam follower to a "bare minimum"  8) 8)
"light weight, works great" has stuck with me for life 8)

Probably not so much on the 86 XR600 adv/tourer, more concerned with purpose.

But as for the VMX Moto X and Dirt tracker, I will definitely be going "Mert" all over their arses.

Desperate need to commision my new Lathe and Mill. That's going to be fun :D excited as.

I have already removed 8.5 kilos from the equation. by diet, exercise, training etc 8) 8) ;D and these racers will be loosing a hell of a lot more than that :)

Stay tunned ;D
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2016, 05:19:07 pm »
a mate used to race a "turner" historic car. he was always beaten by a whisker by a bloke in some pommy thing. he lost 10 kgs and started beating him.

he said "I knew I couldnt lose with the weight loss plan as the other guy was a whippet and had no where to go...."

your on to some thing Mick ;)

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2016, 08:33:24 pm »
After watching a couple of youngsters punt XR200's around the Mt Kembla track a few yrs ago at a Heaven meeting, in 4stoke or pre 85 class, I came to the belief that they are awesome VMX bikes for most punters. I remember an ADB article back in the 80's where the writer spent the money on Fox forks and Ohlins rear and some engine work etc on an early 80's XR200, trying to get it competitive with the two strokes. Great bike but still not consistent enough to worry the fast guys on two strokes. But for VMX I reckon they are a  very good ride- without wearing or scaring you out too much.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2016, 09:30:10 am »
anything under 250 you can pretty well hold flat strap a lot of the time. just fanging it everywhere is great. xr 200's are the best "hold it flat" bikes around. trying to modify them in any way just seems to loose that xr 200 feeling. great fun bike, will go anywhere. what you loose in straight line power you can usually make up in corner speed.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2016, 01:33:10 pm »
some serious XLs punting around our last meeting - right up at the pointy end to.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline bruce g

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2016, 06:01:15 pm »
Hey Mick
thought you would like to hear the XR200 going
Heres a short vid of it after setting the timing and carby jetting with a 4 gas analyzer still a bit more finer tuning and riding, thats what XRs sound like with plenty of lightened and balanced parts nice and narly
pause the vid at the start and let it load then play otherwise a bit jumpy

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/logistics835/media/xr200%20tuning%20with%204%20gas%20analizer_zpskwyghyqy.mp4.html

Some bits and pieces starting to turn up 8) I realise it is going to cost a Zillion x 3  ::) ::) ::) arrh well, as I can patiently afford ::)

Can always see him as plain as day grinding down that Harley cam follower to a "bare minimum"  8) 8)

But as for the VMX Moto X and Dirt tracker, I will definitely be going "Mert" all over their arses.

Desperate need to commision my new Lathe and Mill. That's going to be fun :D excited as.

I have already removed 8.5 kilos from the equation. by diet, exercise, training etc 8) 8) ;D and these racers will be loosing a hell of a lot more than that :)

Stay tunned ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:03:34 pm by bruce g »

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2016, 06:54:45 pm »
Hey Mick
Heres a short vid of it after setting the timing and carby jetting with a 4 gas analyzer still a bit more finer tuning and riding, thats what XRs sound like with plenty of lightened and balanced parts nice and narly

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/logistics835/media/xr200%20tuning%20with%204%20gas%20analizer_zpskwyghyqy.mp4.html

Stay tunned ;D

That's sounds great Bruce , she's reving quick well done I've never heard a old four banger rev that hard .

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2016, 03:09:18 pm »
"Impressed" is an understatement 8)
I've heard V8's that don't sound that good.

I am highly motivated at the moment, I will feed on your ideas and success to fuel it further.

Cheers for the positive contributions fellas
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2016, 03:54:38 pm »
Hey Mick

Holey snapping duckshit Batman! :P

Stay tunned ;D