Author Topic: Open Class XR race development and advise  (Read 40114 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Open Class XR race development and advise
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2016, 07:45:40 pm »
The TS185 is available in middle east somewhere, i cant remember the exact country
TF 125 available locally

http://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/range/off-road/two-wheel-farm/tf125
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 07:48:02 pm »
Psst mick.. the ER is still available new in some South american countries and northern africa  where the 2 smoke laws havnt found them yet..

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 07:49:38 pm »
I have a 2012  TS185 parts book.

125 here too
http://www.uaesuzuki.com/productdetails.aspx?Cid=1&Sid=0&id=66
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:51:46 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2016, 08:05:04 pm »
Arrrh cool, I like to think my first real bike was a TS125,,, loved it.

I made a rock hard decision not to get caught up in another project when I sold the NEW TS125 seat to William Doe.

I have a real soft spot for them but they ain't got no massive torque that comes on before idle rpm and pulls that torque all the way to screaming revs. That's one thing I like most about the 500RE, in the muddy corner you can short shift it to below idle RPM and chain lug it. After every power hit, it gets a chance to relax and give the rear knobs another bite. Then it comes out sideways and power stands with a massive roost side ways all the way to the next corner. I think it does just over Ninety K's in third, what a buzz as you smack it down to compression slide into the next corner, then short shift it up again to exit.
I am talking about Buladelah Grass track 8)

I have experienced many great things during this awesome privilege and that one is right up there at the top 8)

"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 08:59:39 pm »
The artist who did Ballards welding has long retired.  It was really only the non oil cooled 250's that needed it. Now it's just bling
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2016, 09:19:39 pm »
The artist who did Ballards welding has long retired.  It was really only the non oil cooled 250's that needed it. Now it's just bling

Arrrh yes,, indeed he is/was and artist. I have inspected his work. I am still humbly in awe.

There was another guy on the central coast who did the masts etc for Legenddary Windwood Passage etc.

I have been in his shed in Peats Ridge.
The yacht that was on display at Fanny's Night club.

He was younger than me I reckon, So he may be still kicking :P
One of my best friends is a close friend of his and close friend of owner of Windwood Passage, Rod M***

This guys welding, Mick I think? was consistent like a robot, may even be better than the Ballard heads(if that's possible) Ummh, time to crash out at old mate perhaps ;D

I think maybe the 83 and 84 XR350's  were the hottest running XR engines. A few owners have told me they have heard the oil boiling when stopping after a hard ride on a hot day.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:23:05 pm by Mick D »

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2016, 09:48:13 pm »
at the least Mick, the RE is a much better bike than the rc / d, the balance was a lot better and the motor had a better response. if the rfvc issues are solved, all you need to do is the rear shock. a rear disc would make it sweet

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2016, 09:52:03 pm »
Lots of Xrs had head cracking probs 83 -89
Because some num nut put the spark plug between the exhaust valves
There's a place in Sydney that puts a smaller dia plug in the head so there's more meat between spark plug hole and values to stop cracking .
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 06:42:03 am by mick25 »

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2016, 10:04:28 pm »
beyond my pay grade but did the 500's have these issues?  I thought it was 250 only...

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2016, 11:18:14 pm »
Longevity in third world countries does not inspire me with confidence. They still seem to love Russian made versions of the Fiat 126 and 125 in Russia - this does not stop the Fiats being shitboxes.

-------

Mark W has an 84/85 XR250 with smaller exhaust valves. Apparently it reduces cracking problems AND improves power - both seem likely. Certainly sounds good.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2016, 07:50:48 am »
I think maybe the 83 and 84 XR350's  were the hottest running XR engines. A few owners have told me they have heard the oil boiling when stopping after a hard ride on a hot day.

I had 1984 & 1985 XR250 back in the day and did the Wonthaggi 6hr, about 5 mins after the finish i dumped the oil which was castrol GPS from memory and the stuff was boiling and bubbling on the ground. they sure did run hot the 86 came out with an oil cooler.

they were fast in their day fro a 250 4t and revved hard, blew it up at the 1984 sea lake desert race (dropped valve and all the mess that goes with that) and ended up get it all on warranty as i was trail riding at the time ;) well over $1200 back in 84' sold it straight away and got the next model.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2016, 09:35:25 am »
If your in Sydney take your XR head to PR tech in Brookvale. The guy there knows how to weld. Would not be cheap thou.
Maybe Ill put some on my XR 200 project just because I can , thou I know it will make forkall difference. There is a Honda oil additive that is probably the best thing you can use. Good oil often with a bit of that stuff and the average 50 year old throttle twister will have NP. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2016, 01:52:48 pm »
I suppose the avantage of knowing all about everything is that you never have to acknowledge error after a with blinkers on rant. You are of extraordinary character Nathan. Your a real top bloke.

Offline bruce g

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2016, 03:58:53 pm »

That's a great looking build Bruce G. Amazing, well imagined and expedited 8)

[/quote]
thanks Mick, much appreciated
got 2 of these XRs as basket cases for nothing so thought i would resto one for the viper series
been building engines for many years as i am a auto machinest by trade did some home work on the XR engine and have overcome what i think are its weaknesses
got rid of the massive flywheel and cam trigger cdi to run a inner rotor ignition off the crank
lightened the hell out of the crank and then spent a lot of time balancing it with the rod and piston
bigger barnett clutch set up
re-routed the oil supply thru a cooler and straight to the cam
modified the oil pump flow rate
running a roller cam instead of pissy original one
slightly modified the weak chain tension er set up
running a 32mm flat slide
hooked up to a port flowed head running a 1mm bigger inlet valve
hand made the exhaust myself with a bigger o/d and reverse cone
have had it running but not tuned yet
it sounds like a wrf yamaha, revs very quick
the duel map ignition has the limiter set at 11000 rpm
tuning it with Sunco C14 its a leaded fuel much easier to tune than unleaded crap
Wasp from this forum made the rear shock from scrap for me with all the late model adjustments
I fabricated a set of race tech emulators to fit the inner tubes then got Wasp to set up the springs
so with a bit of luck it should handle good
chomping at the bit to ride it

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2016, 04:12:07 pm »
I imagine you would be chomping at the bit to get it dirty Bruce G.
It certainly shows what can be achieved by a fertile mind.

You have gone and set the bar to a new high,,,dammit, that's going to be hard to impossible to top ;D

Looking forward to your first ride impression and what dialing it needs.