Author Topic: Spooky Elsinore.  (Read 4709 times)

Quicksilver

Spooky Elsinore.
« on: August 10, 2008, 05:18:12 pm »
Spooky Elsinore. This going to sound really strange, unbelievable even spooky. I tell you all now its 100% true. Not a joke, not bullshit. I have 3 other people beside myself who witnessed this.

Today my son and I took out one of CR250M's for a spin. We got to the reserve, unloaded and I set off for a fang. I spend about 20 mins on the bike then pulled over next to ute to hand over to my son Derek. I jumped off bike and Derek climbed on. Derek popped the clutch and bike stalled. No problem Derek kicked her and she fired right up again only now the bike was doing about 4000rpm. My son let go of the throttle as you would expect but the bike kept revving. I hit the kill switch but nothing, the bike just kept on revving I raced around to right side to check for jammed throttle but it was fully closed? Derek couldn't let clutch out for fear it just flip over or take off. So in desperation I reached down and unplugged the wire from the stator to the coil "THE F^*KEN BIKE KEPT" revving. No power from stator to the coil and bike is still going? I was completely shocked. Dumfounded. This cant be right. Now what can I do.....thinking, thinking, thinking fearing my bike was gunna pop any second it dawned on the put choke on which in about 5 seconds killed the bike.

All shocked we sat and looked at the bike for about 10 mins and discussed what had happened debating if we should call it day, bugger it I thought I'll give it other go, stuck the bike in forth gear so I could pop the clutch and stall the bike if it happened again. I kicked the bike up and it ran fine. Tried the kill switch and it stopped dead. Kicked her up again and handed it to Derek who rode it for another 20 mins with no problem. I rode it again no problem. Took my daughter for a double, again no problem. Bike behaved completely normal for next 2 hours till we loaded up and came home.

Now I am no engine expert but it seems logical to me that if the stator is unplugged then the bike has no power to the coil. Can someone please explain to me how this bike kept running with that wire completely disconnected for at least 20 to 25 seconds after it was unplugged.?
Has this happened to anyone else? Where did coil draw power from to keep firing the plug? As amazed as I am this happened its also of great concern. Whats going on with the bike. Why or how did it react that way.? Will it happen again. The whole thing is just plan strange.

Offline dirttracker

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Spooky Elsinore.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 05:48:27 pm »
hot spot in the head combined with an air leak

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 05:49:36 pm »
Had it happen a couple of times and the first time is a bit spooky. The bike starts "dieseling" and just keeps going. Stalling is the best way to stop them. Whatever you do , DON'T turn the fuel off and wait for it to run out. The one I did that to grabbed the piston when it finally ran out of fuel at about 15000 rpm! I learnt an expensive lesson that day.
Cheers,
M.H

Quicksilver

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 05:59:54 pm »
Had it happen a couple of times and the first time is a bit spooky. The bike starts "dieseling" and just keeps going. Stalling is the best way to stop them. Whatever you do , DON'T turn the fuel off and wait for it to run out. The one I did that to grabbed the piston when it finally ran out of fuel at about 15000 rpm! I learnt an expensive lesson that day.
Cheers,
M.H

M.H
Whats the cause of dieseling and can it be prevented from happening again? Oh, and yes turning fuel off was one thing I did do about 15 seconds before I choked it ::) ::). Spose im up for rebuild now?

Tony T

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 07:31:31 pm »
I remember the first time it happened to me........ an apprentice rebuilt this TS250 fired it up and it went straight to 100000rpm.
He freaked out, so I cruised over, all calm, and flicked the plug lead off and it made no difference.........  :o :o :o

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 09:00:33 pm »
That usually means there is a poltergeist living inside your engine. Contact a Holy man before your next ride :o

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 09:04:37 pm »
Priest is booked and will be at your door for 10am tomorrow. ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 09:24:27 pm »
Pulling the coil and getting zapped big time is bad enough and it dont fookin stop  does tend you make you do the double take. Last time was on a 750 water bottle and your head doesnt think choke it as its in WTF mode.

If its running on for a while on revs with the throttle body seated id be checkin out the bottom end seals

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 09:55:54 pm »
Quicky, the cause of mine was the throttle cable kinked and holding it open after a crash. I don't know how to prevent it, but I'd imagine you have an underlying problem somewhere. Happy hunting.
Cheers,
K

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 11:42:45 pm »
Dirttracker above, has the one to follow up Quicky. Look for that air leak, and pop the top end off inspecting for Chernobyl effects.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Doc

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 07:14:39 am »
had a similar situation with a blown base gasket on the rm400 in the forestry. It took off while I was riding. Killswitch failed, yanked plug lead, it zapped me bigtime and then simply arced back across to the plug and kept revving it's tits off. Only way I could stop it was dump the clutch in 5th with the brakes fully locked. It still tried to pull away under full brakes and I was really shitting myself. Thankfully it either ran out of fuel or simply 'gave up the ghost' but whatever it put the fear of god into me for the next few rides after replacing the gasket. so much so I had a string from the plug cap that I could yank if the need arrose again :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:17:23 am by Doc »

Offline dirttracker

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 08:06:01 am »
the best way to stall it is to put it in gear and let the clutch out as it will be all revs but it wont be making any power.

Quicksilver

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 08:17:17 am »
the best way to stall it is to put it in gear and let the clutch out as it will be all revs but it wont be making any power.

After thinking about their could of few ways we could of stopped the bike. At the time confusion ruled. After disconecting the stator and bike was still going did my head in big time. Couldnt think clearly after that.  :o No one thought to pull on both brakes and pop the clutch ::). Panic had set in.  ;)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 10:40:29 am »
drew
my it400 did that once and i pull the plug lead off still ran so i just dumped the clutch with both brakes on and it stoped.sticky cable.back at the car lubed the cable never happened again.at home i retensioned the head as well.
cheers

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 01:33:51 pm »
Quickie - couple of things - the bike running on is not unusual - have heard of that before where they basically become perpetual energy but I am not good enough technically to explain the whys and wherefores.  However I did have my 250M lock WFO recently - was all traced back (hopefully as still to take out) to either a piece of the stranded throttle cable or a piece of the inlet "nozzle" on top of the carby had come adrift and went inside and jammed the slide in the body.  Replaced cable, nozzle and cleaned everything and it seems OK - I think I would be worried about what caused it intially rather than the running on.  Mine did it at the end of the long straight - when you back throttle off and bike doesn't slow things get messy!

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica