Author Topic: Spooky Elsinore.  (Read 4705 times)

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Spooky Elsinore.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 07:34:14 pm »
my first experience with a full revving bike was in 1974 when I bump started a Can-Am and it started revving,lucky I pulled the clutch in but that just increased the revs so i pulled the plug cap,no effect,so i turned the fuel off and let the clutch out(I was up against a hedge by this time)and let the thing buck and jump whilst digging a huge hole until it ran out of fuel.
I know from that experience that when something is making that much noise and is out of your control,then your train of logical thought is somewhat scattered ;)

the next episode was when a complete motor fell off a twin engined competition kart and tumbled into the infield revving flatout untill it self destructed due to excessive revs and a diet of dirt and gravel.
The officials stood back in fear and when it stopped they walked up to it and prodded it carefully with a flag.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 08:59:51 pm »
Spooky? How's about a bike running backwards? Is this common?
No...common is the wrong word but has it happened to anyone else?
I was 16 so it was spooky to me at the time.
My YZ125C ran backwards but it only did it on one afternoon. I'd dropped it in 'Dead Horse Creek' and when I kicked it back into life it travelled backwards.
Each and every time it started for the next half hour it did the same thing.
I eventually gave up and started pushing it home along the road.

This resulted in being chased and caught by Sgt Peterson from the Woodridge Police Station... but that's another story (you try outrunning a Cop car whilst pushing a YZ). 

"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 02:12:19 pm »
Used to do it is a fun trick on our old RT360 outfit. Looks you got in the pits when you let out the clutch and started going through the gears in reverse............ :D Caution you always eased the clutch out after starting her just to see.... And NEVER rolled backwards on a hill!!!!!!!!! Lost that fun when we removed the points and fitted a DT360 Electronic set up. :P
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 06:55:28 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

mx250

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 02:23:42 pm »
When I was a young boy I was coming home on my AT1, just about stalled it as i stopped at the traffic lights but managed to whip in the clutch lever and saved the situation. The bike sat there and idle for the 2-3 minutes but when I went to do the normal 'drag bike like' 125 take off the bike moved backwards :o, at a good rate of knots :o. Again I whipped the clutch in without damaged to me, the bike or the car behind. I sat there in disbelief as I tried the clutch  3 or 4 more times - same result. Eventually turned it off and kick started the beast without a prob.

Two strokes, especially those of mild tune that fire near TDC, run happily in both directions. I believe BSA Bantams were particular proned to it - they would just hestiate while idleing and end up running backwards.

Offline d veda

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 03:18:47 pm »
I had a ts400 do it at the levin vmx meeting 3 or 4 years back.Just about ate the bars.When i was a kid the local gun use 2 crash start his old suz backwards
and ride the whole school feild that way.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 05:29:27 pm »
Sgt Peterson asked me why I was pushing the bike so I told him.
He didn't believe me... and neither did Springwood Suzuki when I gave it to them to 'exorcise'.

"Mate, we rode it for an hour and couldn't get it to go backwards!"

I thanked them for trying and coughed up the dollars for one hours riding on my bike.
I'd always assumed it was something to do with dropping it in the water.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"