Author Topic: WHY ARE OEM PARTS CHEAPER IN THE US??  (Read 8208 times)

Offline RM Ted

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
WHY ARE OEM PARTS CHEAPER IN THE US??
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:14:55 pm »
WENT DOWN THE LOCAL SUZUKI DEALER TODAY TO GET A PRICE ON SOME PARTS I NEED TO COMPLETE MY RM 125. PARTS REQUIRED COIL,WISECO PISTON KIT,CLUTCH CABLE,SPARK PLUG,SIDE COVERS. TOTAL PRICE FROM THE LOCAL DEALER $441.00. SAMES PARTS FROM A US DEALER DELIVERED TO MY FRONT DOOR $258.37 A DIFFERENCE OFF $182.63 AT THE CURRENT CONVERSION RATE.
NOW YOU TELL ME IF SUZUKI AUSTRALIA AND THE LOCAL DEALER ARE NOT RIPPING US OFF???

1978 rm 125 x 3
1981 rm 125
1987 rm 125

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: WHY ARE OEM PARTS CHEAPER IN THE US??
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 11:38:32 pm »
Yeah, sounds about right.

The simple fact is that most Australian importers/distributors have been very slow to respond to the easy access to international sellers. In fact, most of them still seem to think that its 1972, and that your local retailer will be your only possible source...

For the most part, your local dealer probably isn't ripping you off (unless you live in Canberra, but that's another rant for another time - let's just say that I'm now happier to drive 90minutes to Cowra, than 45 to Canberra...) - the problem is usually the importer.

FWIW, I can buy a Mazda RX-8 gearbox from NZ, freight it over, not calim back the nZ VAT (or whatever its called), pay all applicable import taxes and duties, and the price (in NZ dollars) is still over a thousand dollars less than the 'better than trade price' at my local dealer.

Yamaha's trick of jacking the prices up as stuff gets older shits me too. Esp when dealers who have had the shit on their shelves for 25 years suddenly want the current retail price... If I don't buy this set of second over-size CT1 rings at $130, then who will?
Common business practice says that you discount old shit to make space, save the time and effort of managing it, etc.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Doc

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 04:34:52 am »
90% of my stuff comes from the US, 4% from Thailand, 4% from UK, and 2% from the local market. Way too overpriced in near all aspects and with our dollar travelling so well at present O/S buying is looking more and more lucrative  ;)

lms6201

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 05:49:36 am »
even bike bandit is cheaper than local dalers ! it,s not just bike stuff  , when i was flying 3d heli  the local dealers had the same attitude of disbelief when they were told a certain item could be bought and delivered (most cases quicker ) for 60% of the local price from os , but alas there isn,t enough of us with older bikes (as we probably use mostly aftermarket parts ,wiesco , dc ect )to affect   the system . some of the independent accesory  sellers  aren,t too bad though   

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 07:21:37 am »
Same as everything, I was looking at Tyres for my Dodge, a 285/55/20 goodyear here is $520, in the us?,...$129!

One industrieds David Bailey tribute helmet, here $469. in the US,..$189

I think that it leads right back to the factory, its called Buying Power, the us would consume 10 times as much as us.

Besides that, ever seen a motorcycle parts/accesories distributor go broke?, Hell no! ever see a good trading Bike shop go broke, Hell No!

We just get pooned right down the line,

I have just bought for the family ( ;D) a Toy Hauler (Carravan with a ramp) that sleeps 6 , hauls 3-4 bikes, shower,toilet, nuke, fridge, stove, air con..all that bullshit, priced it here,  $45,000 + on road costs. In the states built to our specs?....we paid $14,500... Go Figure!!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 07:26:29 am by E74 »

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 07:44:09 am »
In the states built to our specs?....we paid $14,500.
How much was shipping to Australia?
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 07:48:36 am »
About $5000 all up + $1500 GST

firko

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 07:53:42 am »
Except for oil and tyres, I haven't spent one penny in a bike shop for five years and I no longer give a damn about supporting my local battling bikeshop. Bugger 'em, I'm out for the best deal for my self funded retiree dollar, no matter where that money ends up. I even buy my shoes and clothes from the US and much of my electronics straight out of China.
It won't be long before someone comes on here to give us a spray about supporting the little Aussie battler and the socio economic repercussions of our overseas shopping but I'm way past caring.  

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 08:03:37 am »
i agree the deals are out there if you take the time to look for instance  ted cameras for a special flash for the canon camera  like 400  bucks ,over seas 240 includeing delervery warranty etc 

Tony T

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 08:31:26 am »
I don't have an opinion either way. I do deals both locally and O.S. depending on circumstances.
As long as you accept the trade off for the cheaper price. i.e. difficulty getting back up service/warranty etc
I once bought a 'cheap' fuel OEM fuel pump for one of my cars from the U.S. It failed shortly after and getting warranty was extremely difficult/impossible.
So that pump ended up costing 50% more than if I had bought locally in the first place.
9 times out of 10 it works out great and it's worth the risk, but if it doesn't...............
I actually found Ted's Cameras pricing very close to the international price on the items I bought.
e.g A lens at one dealer was $3499.00, I bought from Ted's in Adelaide for $2800.00. Australian warranty and all.  ;D

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 11:52:38 am »
This subject has been widely debated on many bike forums recently.

The reason stuff is cheap in the USA is due to our dollar catching up to theirs, and the fact they have the massive population to shift product in huge quantities.  They don't need to sting everyone to make a decent buck out of their stock.

However, I do believe there has been some absolute blatant profiteering in this country over the past few years.  I bet Monza Imports are paying through the arse now for ripping off all the kiddies for overpriced Fox gear.

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 11:54:54 am »
I don't have an opinion either way. I do deals both locally and O.S. depending on circumstances.
As long as you accept the trade off for the cheaper price. i.e. difficulty getting back up service/warranty etc
I once bought a 'cheap' fuel OEM fuel pump for one of my cars from the U.S. It failed shortly after and getting warranty was extremely difficult/impossible.
So that pump ended up costing 50% more than if I had bought locally in the first place.
9 times out of 10 it works out great and it's worth the risk, but if it doesn't...............
I actually found Ted's Cameras pricing very close to the international price on the items I bought.
e.g A lens at one dealer was $3499.00, I bought from Ted's in Adelaide for $2800.00. Australian warranty and all.  ;D

Fuel pumps are notorious on eBay .  A few guys I know with worked cars have been done with counterfeit Walbro pumps out of China.  They are a very good fake.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 12:56:33 pm »
DG pipe for my 250 in OZ between $500 and $750 - through Dirt Overstock delivered to the door in 8 days including delivery $300!!  Also tried to buy the jersey I wanted from a local dealer - FOX brand - sorry not bringing those into OZ - straight off the shelf at Dennis Kirk.  I support the local "engineering" shops Ray Easson, GMC etc but retail certainly doesn't do much for me.  And when I work away from home internet is internet dont really care where it comes from.  Serco wanted somewhere around $400 for a sleeve for my 360 and I would have to wait 2 months until the order was placed (not delivered) - from the States through LA Sleeves through a friend $150?

Cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 01:11:51 pm »
Services are where it's at now.  You can get product from anywhere.

If you're good at fixing/tuning bikes, you'll always be in business (especially since the advent of the new generation four strokes).

Doc

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 01:37:30 pm »
I've been jumped on before for not supporting the local industry but like Firko I'm beyond giving a damn about them as they do little for us. The pricing is crazy and the service is shit compared to what I get from the US. The oz dollar levelling with the US dollar does help but even before that with the 70cent conversion rate the parts were still cheaper! It's been a long time since I have found any comparable price locally on any part or accessory compared with what is available from the US. Tyres and chains excluded.