Author Topic: WHY ARE OEM PARTS CHEAPER IN THE US??  (Read 8200 times)

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
Re: WHY ARE OEM PARTS CHEAPER IN THE US??
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 01:46:32 pm »
when i was working in suzuki dealership and was geting parts at cost it was cheaper to buy from the shop new owners came in and it went from cost to cost plus 10% the it became cheaper to buy most things on ebay now that im not working for suzuki dealership its so much cheaper on ebay and i also save on fuel costs to pick parts up

oldfart

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 06:24:36 pm »
Just got off the phone for a price check on a Suzuki Tm 250 carb intake pipe ( Alpha sport  $37-98 usd plus postage $10-00 )   same item  has to be paid for in advance and is 2 weeks away at local dealer $ 62-35 . no thanks I'll buy overseas cheaper and arrives in a week .

Price up a set of RM side covers , and make sure your seated when your get a reply  :o

Offline 2 shocks

• A-Grade
  • Gods Country !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 08:07:37 pm »
On my 5th Maico Restoration, I have given up completely on Aussie suppliers, quite often, after delays, its the wrong part. One phone call to the US, problem solved, much cheaper delivered to the door & good communication. Would love to buy in Australia, but whats the point.

Tony T

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 08:20:17 pm »
Fuel pumps are notorious on eBay .  A few guys I know with worked cars have been done with counterfeit Walbro pumps out of China.  They are a very good fake.

If the one I got was fake, it was a beauty. Identical to the one that came out down to the numbers stamped into the case. Either way, I did my dough.  :D

Offline AJ

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 08:48:15 pm »
E74,

I know it's not VMX but I won't sleep tonight after seeing the price for the van you ordered.

Can you give me more detail. Are you happy with the quality.

How did you go with Australian compliance?

I'm due to take delivery of a Jayco Swan Outback that sleeps 7 any day now.

No shower, no toilet, No Bikes!!!!!!!!!!! & I'm paying more than you have.  :'(

AJ

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 01:04:02 pm »
Actually E74 I wouldn't mind some more details if possible?

thanks

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 02:01:23 pm »
and it should also be noted that not all parts are cheaper from the States (I think somebody already mentioned about prices going up as parts get older) - 1974 YZ360B seat $600USD, YZ series tank rubbers (the ones that protect the tank from the strap) $400USD and the little rubber flap that mounts under the seat to keep mud off the back of the shock $99USD (Repros $15).  I wish I had lots of money when I was a young fella coz I could make a killing now if I had this stuff - see the restored CR250 73/74 for over $8000USD!!!

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

YSS

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 02:45:41 pm »
Have you also considered that Yamaha or any other manufacturer has taken the VMX trend seriosly and made another small run of hard to get parts to keep their customers happy ? That could also be a reason for higher pricing  ??? In the end , the market will regulate itself. If they are to dear , then sombody will (and can) make some aftermarket parts, but that involves a big risk. I know the problem with the VMX forksprings , we can make one special set for $1000  , 10 set for $280  or 100 set for $120 per set. Its hard to win in a niche market.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 04:17:13 pm »
Hey E74,
You should rent out the empty space in the back of your camper. Fill it with bikes/parts for OzVMX members and subsidise your import/shipping costs. No point shipping American 'air' to Australia.

Let me know if that sounds like a good idea, and I will hunt down a bike to add to the list.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 06:16:32 pm »
Have you also considered that Yamaha or any other manufacturer has taken the VMX trend seriosly and made another small run of hard to get parts to keep their customers happy ? That could also be a reason for higher pricing  ???

They haven't - well at least not for the stuff I've looked at. This is stock that's been sitting on dealer's shelves for 30+ years, and hasn't sold. So nobody bought it for $9.95 in 1975, nobody bought it for $9.95 in 1985, nobody bought it for $9.95 in 1995, nobody bought it for $9.95 in 2005, but now they expect me to pay $140 for it in 2008?
I don't think so.

Datsun... erm, Nissan Australia have warehouse clearances ever so often. They just off-load excess shit that has been sitting around - and while they make it hard (only making the clearance item lists available to dealers, and only listing part numbers) it means that the parts go out to people who will actually use them, and the distributor can free up dead space in their warehouse.
And yes they keep some stock on hand, so if someone wants to buy a set of 14" Bluebird alloys in 2023, they'll have a set to sell.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 11:01:00 am »
G`day  population will keep prices down all the time ie a mate of mine makes fibreglass bits for bikes high volume stuff is cheaper than an odd thing he may only sell 1or2 off. i own a smaal shop ,i do look after vmx,mx, trials,motardand road racers - they do put 1 of my shop stickers on tho.mate you try and stock a shop and try to cater for everyone like we do and still maintain a profit margin to keep going.its like when someone whinges about the price for fitting a tyre when they dont even buy it off you - buy it off us and we fit it fir for free. yes i want a deposit for ordered parts - i would have  aleast 1000.00 worth of bits and not been picked up!!!!!! and you cant send special orders back.i have seen customers buy stuff from os and end up costing more because the parts are wrong or can be different spec to ours. also not to mention the free advice we give out or not charging because some dicks bike wont go because the kill switch is turned off  thanks robin 

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »
you could never stock all the spare parts that people want, when i worked in spare parts guys would full on get the shits cause you didnt have their part in stock .then it would get worse when you told them it had to come from japan and that they had to pay for it before you would order it they think you should have every part for their bike in stock at all times . bike shops have to pay to have thing delivered to so you have to add some of the cost onto the buyer or you wouldnt make any money  and we had  lots of parts that guys would order and  never come and pick up some had paid deposits on them but still didnt come get them. thats why i became a mechanic to get away from spare parts before i hit some one
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 12:58:42 pm by crs-and-rms »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 01:15:37 pm »
We purchased a front sprocket the other day(06 bike) ,got it home and it was the wrong size  ::) after taking it back to the shop, they wanted a deposit to order the right toothed sprocket,even though we had the other sprocket. >:(  ???  >:(  ??? 
Shorelinemc we had never heard of this before this week.
I do understand the ordered gear that bike shops must have in stock that has not been picked up.
After shopping for bikes for the past 20 odd years I was very peed off by the (honda too much red maybe) shops attitude and non vmx vibs.
Our 14 year old even commented that he would like to purchase a new 09 Suzuki in Perth :o and not at the local shop,oops they just lost a big customer.
Bad news travels fast
Oh well should of stayed at me local Kawa shop  ::)
ps why are some things cheaper os = more people

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:20:35 pm by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

YSS

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 01:56:59 pm »
 ???  Must be hard to run a business like that, with such a lovely clientele
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:43:58 pm by YSS »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 02:02:52 pm »
???  Must be hard to run a business like that.

Thats what amazed us(me & my brother-in-law),just never heard of the deposit stuff before this week.
Oh and another thing there was only me in the shop and 8 staff,(on a tuesday)don't know how they afford it???

maybe they knew I was comin and put all the staff on,,,heres the bitch from hell  ;)  :D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:06:21 pm by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!