Author Topic: VMX and other sports.  (Read 7192 times)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: VMX and other sports.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 07:20:15 am »
     Haven't any of you guys ever tried stand-up Jetskis ? (Sit down Jetskis suck ). It is one of the most fun things to do ( with your clothes on ), other than bikes & is sort of like a mix of MX, waterski-ing & surfing . Jetski-ing in surf is like riding motocross , where they move the jumps every lap . Some advantages over bikes are : no dust ( so you don't have to clean air filters ) & you don't have to change tyres , chains , sprockets or gearbox oil . You also don't have to worry about setting up your suspension & you usually don't get gravel rash when you come off.
Some disadvantages are : you can get very itchy repairing fibreglass & you usually can't push your Jetski back to your car / toolbox , when it breaks down .
     I have always owned a MX bike, from when I was about 15, though & I have been accumulating them ever since . I have also played a bit of hockey , windsurfed , waterskied & done a bit of snow ski-ing as well .

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 07:26:22 am »
I was into judo for most of my high school years. Competed in seveal state championships, but always beaten in the final by a fellow club member (and training partner) though, as he knew all my moves so well. Was up too black belt and coached juniors, however it all ended on May 9th 1975. Crashed my brothers 1974 DT100A into a Ford Falcon station wagon (on the road unlicenced). Broke both legs, the right one in 3 places which resulted in it being 1" shorter than the left one and had five month off work. Never went back to judo after recovering, bought my first bike, a Kawasaki KT250 and started competition trials riding in 1976. Rode trials (solo and sidecar)and enduro, plus the ocassional MX event through too 1986 when I joined the navy. Always kept my bike collection at my mum's place in Broken Hill while in the navy and got back into the dirt scene when I restored my TT500C for CD2.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Doc

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 07:53:15 am »
Wombat, I agree with you whole heartedly that MX, surfing and snow skiing have much in common when it comes weight transfer and stuff. I've never done any of those other than MX but I forgot to mention another of my fav pastimes at highschool before bikes really took off was skate boarding. We had some great downhill runs locally, plenty of bruises and skin off but nothing ever broke. Ironically we petrolheads (re: flano's or Bevan's or tappetheads) didn't like surfer's (re: skegs or sharkphuckers) but my oldest best friend is indeed a full on skeg converted over to MX when there were no waves to be had. I see his surfing come into play quite often on the 'whippy' bits and I know exactly what he's trying to do ;) problem is it usually works and he whips out in front of me!!  >:( :D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 07:55:10 am by Doc »

firko

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 08:12:11 am »
Started racing in drag racing in 1967 continued drag racing but also started motocross in 1969. Also played local Rugby League. Retired from drag racing in 1973 (money pit) and motocross in 1975 and moved to the USA. Played Rugby Union for the legendary Belmont Shore in California and competition volley ball as well as the occasional desert race on my Husky Auto or VB360 and occasionally drag raced my hotty '64 Chevy Nova. Returned to Oz in '81 continued playing Rugby for the next twelve years and rode enduros but eventually forced to retire because of a major ankle injury from my 490 Maico in an enduro which is still giving me shit today. Rode Vintage motocross and dirt track from 1988-1999 but had to retire when the pain got too much.
Today I'm a fat old cripple whose main sport is surfing eBay, although I'm getting fitter by the day and may soon start a little mountain biking on my Marin monocoque and may possibly get amongst this Vinduro caper.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 08:27:53 am by firko »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 04:50:12 pm »
Whole life of trying valiantly to perfect the ALT Spectrum* sport practice and theory.  :)                                               * Advanced Lazy Turd ...
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Tony T

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 06:40:52 pm »
Started racing in drag racing in 1967

Can't imagine you dressed as a woman, Mark.........  :D
Or at least I try not to...........  :-\

worms

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 08:39:04 pm »
interesting topic

been in motorbikes since i was six, not very good at it but it's in my blood, mainly road and enduro.
played football( soccer) since i was 9 and still playing competitive and also over 45 at Masters.
snow skied most of my life, havn't missed a session in 25 years, just love it as a family holiday, off too japan again this year.love it. would like to become a moutain guide one day when the kids leave home, now that would be cool.if the knees hold up.

Cheers Trev

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 08:48:42 pm »
Whole life of trying valiantly to perfect the ALT Spectrum* sport practice and theory.  :)                                               * Advanced Lazy Turd ...

YOU LIE.
now come on  :o  you been going hard and fast for the last 20 odd years. :-X
what about before that  ???
Best is in the West !!

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 08:50:48 pm »
Tilt............ Training in lazy turd ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

eno

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 01:16:41 pm »
Hey good question DJ, mainly motorsport has been the only thing that spun my wheels. However there was something else...screaming electric guitars, I worked quite hard at this one from mid 80's for about five years but true to my form burnt out of it.
I always thought to myself at the start of all this as I spent all those hours in the shed rebuilding my CZ & discovering VMX..."Hmmm wonder when the 'lectric guitar bugs gonna bite again". Well that bug has bit again & instead of building bikes in the cold of winter, you'll find me & my ol' pal bourbon working on my guitar licks.
Guess thats why I'm a little quiet here lately. Look out for the "moto blues band"...now I just gotta build it....might take a whole lot longer than building a CZ  8)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 04:29:46 pm »
Dirt bikes since about six, spent a couple of years playing rugby in Europe in the mid '90's (I paved the way for Sonny Bill)
Other than that it's been all bikes, bikes, bikes!

Doc

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 04:59:46 pm »
I root around a little on the guitar as well Eno, self taught, not much good but enough to keep me amused when alone. Ironically my fav is the Yamaha 12 string but the 3/4 size Zooki has the better action being as my hands aren't big. To keep my reflexes happening between rides I play Grand Prix Legends on the computer. With the little amount of riding I do one would think I'd be a legend at the legends by now but I'm still flat out holding it together for more then a few laps at the speed Clarke, Brabham and co. ran back in the 60's! :o 10th is the best I've ever qualified but like I said, it passes the time between rides and mentally if your mind isn't ready you won't even be able to launch from the start line without causing major carnage :D might have another go at it right now ;D sorry, please continue with desired topic  :P
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 05:01:22 pm by Doc »

firko

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 05:13:48 pm »
Now why doesn't it surprise me that you've got a Suzuki guitar Doc?   and a Yamaha!  I've got a Yamaha FP-310 6 string. Maico didn't make guitars unfortunately.
I want one of these, a National steel. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SNcOyMLJ1xI
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 05:15:46 pm by firko »

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 05:54:07 pm »
Footy, go karts , NZ off road racing champ, TM bills on to it beaver hunting or VMX what else is there ;
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

YSS

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 06:07:46 pm »
VMX side cars and of course benchracing at the sportsbar  ;D