Author Topic: Not VMX, who does guns???  (Read 20144 times)

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
Re: Not VMX, who does guns???
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2015, 07:06:36 AM »
I was taught respect for and care of my weapon by my late Father who served in Normandy in WW 2, he also taught me hunting and stalking skills which I am endeavoring to pass on to our Grandsons, one of whom has already done his Firearms Training course and has his Minors Firearms permit. The other grandson, well, I think I'll wait a bit and see how he turns out !!

Oh, and by the way, because we have lot of room to fish, hunt and ride motor-bikes and only one neighbor out here, I have re-furbished a bike each for our grandsons, they love coming to see Fossil and EA

Foss
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:29:40 AM by JAP 454 »

Offline 211

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2015, 09:03:12 AM »
dictionary.com describes adequate as
1. as good as necessary for the required purpose
this car is adequate for out needs
2. barely sufficient or suitable:
[being adequate is not good enough]

sums it up really

Just quoting this for future reference. Thank you.[/color]
your welcome

Offline 211

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2015, 09:11:57 AM »
I wasn't sure about discussing guns on the Forum, but it seems as though there are a few others interested in old guns.As for "modern"it is pretty hard to go past a Remington 700 in 243 with a synthetic stock,very accurate,good all round rifle,I have a Leupold 1-4 with the Pig Plex reticle,fantastic on pigs.Back in the 70's when you could pay off a rifle,or buy a bike in a few cold nights,chasing foxes for the fur trade,a Sako or Tikka with Kahles or Pecar scope,in222 was hard to beat.17 calibres were popular,but were affected by windy nights,and I found using solids in the 222 was better .
Dad used to use a Martini Henry single shot .577/450 .45 calibre (1880s African wars era)when he was a jackaroo,before he joined the RAAF in 1943.He was pretty skinny,and because of the recoil,one day he put the stock against the dray,when he was shooting at a boar,and it slid off the dray and nearly took his shoulder off.We found some of the foil wrapped cartridges at an old gun shop,in the 70's,but stupidly didn't buy them!today they are $5 a round.Dad used to make more from the bounty on pig snouts,then his wage as a jackaroo.The 480gr lead bullet was punched out at1350fps by 85gr of Black Powder,no wonder Dad had a fear of the recoil.
It's a trip down memory lane - I had a .17 in the 70's when I was living between Cooma and Canberra and use to supplement the income with the fox furs. Used to really hate pegging them out on a bit of ply. Brings back memories of nearly shooting Bo the dog (red healer) - had her in the scope at about 100mt until I realised foxes weren't that fat; loved that dog.
takes me back to a simpler time - Mum was a horse woman, bred Clydesdales and rode dressage on retired race horses. When I first learned to drive I would take her to the shows, Temora, Wagga, Sydney - all over in an old J3 Bedford truck pulling a car trailer with her bakers cart on board. Bought my first Velocette from the guy who sold her the bakers cart up Gosford way.
Happy times

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2015, 09:52:02 AM »
Simpler time, for sure, 211, nice yarn about your Mum. I guess, no, I know, it is the simplicity of life, here at The River that got us away from the now Canberra suburb of Narooma, with all the suburban angst that goes with that, too bloody " civilised "!! Ahh well, back to cleaning up the DS80's plastic tank !!

Foss

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2015, 09:19:50 PM »
Well this got more traction than I'd expected, good to see some like minded souls around the place  ;) great reading some of the stuff here
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2015, 09:35:28 PM »
Yes, quite an interesting subject and as you say, Rookie, the number of responses surprised me ! I'm gunna see how things feel, early tomorrow morning, and probably take the 6.5 for another walk in the hills.
Foss

Offline N22

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2015, 11:14:52 PM »
When I was a bit younger(and faster),going bike riding,hunting,and fishing all went together(it still does)We went out to the Maquarie Marshes,in 1981,when they had the last"100year drought",35 years later they are having another one.The other blokes went a day earlier,and I went the next afternoon,and had used my 2 spare tyres by the time I got to Walgett,just before the servo shut,so I got a couple of new tyres.I then headed south in the dark,and managed to only hit 2 roos,out of the hundreds,that lined the road trying to get a feed.
When I got onto the property,there were mobs of pigs everywhere,so I knew I was close to the Marshes,I shot a few,but soon realised that I would run out of 30/30 ammo if I kept shooting.Somehow I found the Boys around midnight,they had bogged the Hilux trying to cross a creek,and spent all day hand winching it out.
At daylight,I unloaded the RM125,and went for a look around,away from the Marsh,it was a barren wasteland,and thousands of acres of the reedy marshland had been burnt,to get some new growth when the marsh flooded.It looked like the surface of the moon,with creeks meandering across the blackened,incredibly rough expanse.The only way to cross the burn't marshland,was flat out,bouncing across the tussocks,similar to riding sand,look ahead,and don't worry about where your front wheel is pointing.
The many creeks were lined with a few metres of green reeds,and were loaded with pigs,as all of the cover was burnt,and once they left the reeds they were hard to see in the black tussocks,any way we got heaps,and had a ball racing across the endless marsh,chasing the pigs.A trick for shooting off a bike is to sling your gun, barrel down,across your chest,so that you just lift it up to shoot,and wear an open face helmet,because you can't aim with a full face.
The creeks were full of European carp,and the best fishing method was to herd the carp towards a couple of blokes armed with 12g pump actions,we tried eating a carp,nothing like yellow belly!
If you are not living on the Edge,you are taking up to much Space!!

BSA Gold Flash,Triumph Bonnevile,DT250A,YZ250B,PE250a.YZ125D,RM125C,RM125N,RM125X,IT175H,IT250G,03CRF250X,07CRF450X,O8CRF250

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2015, 06:56:56 PM »
cant beat carp shooting with a .45 magnum from the back of a ute. they put on a turn of speed if you miss...

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2015, 07:50:29 PM »
cant beat carp shooting with a .45 magnum from the back of a ute. they put on a turn of speed if you miss

you can
was out the cont/shelf tuna fishing with a mate our burly trail got bombarded by mutton birds he pulled out his 44 man fully licenced for his work and blasted a few away after about 10 dead floating around they didnt come back. then the dead floating birds started to disappear.we had burlied up a large tiger shark it was as big as the 5.2 mter boat we were in he nudged us a few times then went on his way
also on a 28 berty i was part of a game fishing crew we used to shoot them with a mosburg pump shotgun mutton birds will take all your burly (pilchard cubes) if you dont get rid of them.
all of this happend at least  14 miles out to sea in about 600 to 800 feet depth and further out
dont do this any more how things change as you get much older still fish though

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »
but that stuff is "required" or your burly disappears...I didn't need to shoot the carp but I couldn't leave em sunning themselves in 12 inches of clear water could i? ;D ;D

that would be a good shot if the boat was going up and down .....its hard to hit anything with a magnum..specially someone elses!

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2015, 09:21:05 PM »
the birds came within 2 feet of the back of the boat only go out that far when itis a good day more fun with the shotgun some times the shark balloon flot would get hit as well have to re rig again.then suntimes you get a shool of tuna aroung your boat and the guns go away way too busy catching 30kg tuna on 10 and 6 kg line
jim

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2015, 09:24:27 PM »
and yes i agee you cant let them sit in 12 in of clear water
i had a crazy mate who used to jelly the fish around cowra
 he was not good to go out drinking in sydney with we allways got int some sort of trouble

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2015, 07:58:26 AM »
ha ha ..much unhappiness when the shark float goes down! ;D

Offline Photomike666

• Novice
  • I've got serious thrill issues, dude!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2015, 09:28:29 PM »
No guns here (yet), but plan to get both riffle and hand gun at some point.

For now I have a compound bow and do field archery with a club twice a month.  Haven't hunted yet, but plan to at some point later in the year
V8 SS Ute, ZX10R (x2 road & track), '87 Honda CR250

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2015, 08:20:15 AM »
Dad had a 44-440 magnum rifle with the lever action and its now mine after he saw the vic gun licence renewal form. it sends a bowling ball out the end of the barrel.....after a lot of noise. not sure what to do with it. probably flog it as no one hunts pigs anymore and im too old to chase deer