Author Topic: Not VMX, who does guns???  (Read 20146 times)

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
Re: Not VMX, who does guns???
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 07:26:58 AM »
Interesting to note that firearms manufacture has recently started up again, in Australia, at the Lithgow Small Arms factory with the introduction of the LA 101 Crossover rim-fire range of rifles.
Foss

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 08:41:28 AM »

Yes 211 mine is the Super meteor makes more noise than a 12 g
   shotgun . but not too many sparrows and starlings hear it ah ah

the stig

Offline madmxrestorer

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 09:41:30 AM »
Hi guys anyone know where I can buy a 1850"s ish double trigger Tranters pistol/revolver? my great Auntie handed hers in in a gun amnesty in around the 1950-60's . luckily she kept the wooden case with all the business for making it work , just been waiting for someone  somewhere to show interest in guns . I would really like to find a revolver to complete this set before my dad passes on .
cheers Robin Gregory

Offline LeighW

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 06:33:50 PM »
Hey sky pig I've got the same as you Remington police sniper heavy barrell synthetic stock in 223 weighs a ton on long hunts  223 very flat shooting but lacks punch at long shots on pigs  also shoot        Ispc with gold cup 45 with all the extras  great gun for close quarters in the lignum on pigs. Cheers leigh

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 07:47:18 PM »
geezas,i'm feeling inadequate,got a sluggy (it has a scope 8)),used for flying rats,put about 5000 million slugs into the palm tree in our garden(theres a nest in there somewhere ::))kill rates about 2 per year,by the time i switch glasses,look through the scope,they have fugged off bigtime,have to be sneaky & shoot through the rust holes in the shed wall for best effect , :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 09:03:10 PM »
Interesting to note that firearms manufacture has recently started up again, in Australia, at the Lithgow Small Arms factory with the introduction of the LA 101 Crossover rim-fire range of rifles.
Foss

Yes I've spent a lot of time checking this rifle out and it's getting great reviews, said to be very accurate and well built. I've handled it and the action feels fantastic, crisp and clean. If I can't find a good mod 2 brno .22 for a reasonable price I'll be sinking my pennies into one of these, for a good plinking, vermin rifle that's a sure shot and cheap to run.

Cheers, Brendan

Oh and Nathan, just like all dirt bike riders aren't scumbags despite the general public thinking so....not all gun owners are physically inadequate rednecks either :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 09:26:24 PM by Rookie#1 »
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 09:19:16 PM »
Yeah, Rookie, I read the reviews of the Crossover with interest but I have no need of another rim-fire !! I do have 2 model 2 Brnos BUT my 1948 Stevens Buckhorn .22 will go shot for shot with either of them. I will admit to re-pinning the action/barrel joint which improved the old girl immensely.

Oh yeah, my wife EA, Elaine to those who don't know her, said she thought Nathans statement quite Freudian and that she has never had any reason to question either her's or my sexual adequacy.
Foss and EA
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 09:28:44 PM by JAP 454 »

Offline 211

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 07:30:36 AM »
dictionary.com describes adequate as
1. as good as necessary for the required purpose
this car is adequate for out needs
2. barely sufficient or suitable:
[being adequate is not good enough]

sums it up really

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 08:25:41 AM »
Touche ! BUT  adequacy " Sufficient for a particular purpose "

Foss
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:30:34 AM by JAP 454 »

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2015, 05:33:19 PM »
err,i was referring to gun envy,nothing else ;), :P
ps i did fire a 1900's 303 last year,was impressed with how smooth it's kick was,thumped away like a longstroke ES2 norton
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2015, 06:14:17 PM »
Not referring to your comment, Mick, someone else's !

I had an old 1902 Long Tom 303, still had volley sights  !! a long barreled thing, it sorta pushed instead of  kicked, sold it to a Copper who did Light Horse re-enactment. Turned up a 1894 Magazine Lee Enfield 303 Cavalry Carbine, a mate found it on top of a wardrobe, family wanted it cut up, I found out it was the lad's Grandfather's weapon from the Boer War, researched the bloke, he served with the Third NSW Mounted Rifles, got the rifle into the system, it will go to a museum, eventually.

Offline N22

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2015, 09:06:32 PM »
I wasn't sure about discussing guns on the Forum, but it seems as though there are a few others interested in old guns.As for "modern"it is pretty hard to go past a Remington 700 in 243 with a synthetic stock,very accurate,good all round rifle,I have a Leupold 1-4 with the Pig Plex reticle,fantastic on pigs.Back in the 70's when you could pay off a rifle,or buy a bike in a few cold nights,chasing foxes for the fur trade,a Sako or Tikka with Kahles or Pecar scope,in222 was hard to beat.17 calibres were popular,but were affected by windy nights,and I found using solids in the 222 was better .
Dad used to use a Martini Henry single shot .577/450 .45 calibre (1880s African wars era)when he was a jackaroo,before he joined the RAAF in 1943.He was pretty skinny,and because of the recoil,one day he put the stock against the dray,when he was shooting at a boar,and it slid off the dray and nearly took his shoulder off.We found some of the foil wrapped cartridges at an old gun shop,in the 70's,but stupidly didn't buy them!today they are $5 a round.Dad used to make more from the bounty on pig snouts,then his wage as a jackaroo.The 480gr lead bullet was punched out at1350fps by 85gr of Black Powder,no wonder Dad had a fear of the recoil.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:29:17 PM by N22 »
If you are not living on the Edge,you are taking up to much Space!!

BSA Gold Flash,Triumph Bonnevile,DT250A,YZ250B,PE250a.YZ125D,RM125C,RM125N,RM125X,IT175H,IT250G,03CRF250X,07CRF450X,O8CRF250

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2015, 09:47:47 PM »
N22, I guess interest in older firearms is just as engrossing as an interest in older bikes. I have seen a couple of the 577/450 Martinis with paper patched rounds, but have never fired one. My wife, Elaine, has one of their little cousins, a BSA Martini Cadet in .222 Rimmed Improved  by Don Black. I have a collection of replica muzzle-loaders, which I quite like burning powder with, and do have some other interesting arms, purely used for private target work, older rim-fires mostly. I do reload all our center-fires and find that very absorbing, as one has to be very precise and I am not normally a precise person. I have just been given a Remington 700, stainless barreled, in .17 Rem, which I find a great little thing but I don't really have much use for, at the moment.
One thing, both Elaine and I still have the very first .22s we had in our teenage years.

Foss 

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2015, 10:15:38 PM »

Oh and Nathan, just like all dirt bike riders aren't scumbags despite the general public thinking so....not all gun owners are physically inadequate rednecks either :P

I did a fair bit of shooting as a kid. Enjoyed them all, even if most were testimony to my dad's poor choices in gun buying (from the .22 air rifle that sucked as all .22 air rifles do, to the single barrel 12-gauge that was bought on the premise that it would be light enough for my step-mum to use...).

Also had a (now deceased) family member who had a real-life version of the Terminator2 scene in the desert thanks to Barry Unsworth's proposed ban in the 1980s. Apparently he had a lot of conversations that included the sentence: "Yes, I will be happy to take that off your hands"... So I also got to see a few "unusual" things in action...

Guns are a useful and important tool in certain settings, but I'm not "into" them anymore than I'm into wood planes or combine harvesters or any other tool that I have no use for.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2015, 11:26:32 PM »
dictionary.com describes adequate as
1. as good as necessary for the required purpose
this car is adequate for out needs
2. barely sufficient or suitable:
[being adequate is not good enough]

sums it up really

Just quoting this for future reference. Thank you.[/color]
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.