Author Topic: MX250  (Read 5436 times)

TM BILL

Re: MX250
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 08:08:43 am »
Vandy thats a real cool MX  8) well done mate  :)
Just shows you dont have to throw shit loads of money and fit ugly after market bits to have a competitive cool looking pre 75 racer.

If your brother needs a rest at CD 6 would love a ride cheers Bill  ;D

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 08:14:41 am »
cheers Bill,
i think he's really looking forward to throwing his leg over it as he's not riden vintage. watch for the gumby rider! ;D

regarding bike values, it costs 5-6 K including purchase to build up most decent VMXers (add up your costs honestly) so a good clean bike is probably worth that....unless it is something quite exotic.

sounds a bit rich to me.
i didn't keep real acurate records but all up, i'd be surprised if i spent $2500 building my bike, including the purchase price. but then i charge myself zero for labour ;) and have access to some pretty handy tools/workshop :)
"flat bickie"

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 08:44:37 am »
yeah I think I would have a bit less in mine, but if you start with wreck and build the motor, suspension, wheels, tyres, cables etc etc you can run through the bucks pretty quickly....like renovating your kitchen.

Add in NOS or a few ugly after market parts and it really gets expensive.  ;D

formerly Marc.com

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 09:02:34 am »
marc whats the plastic sump guard made from, or where from

not sure, its is kind of back in the day NOS spare I bought on ebay....but you can have it for $800  ;D

regarding bike values, it costs 5-6 K including purchase to build up most decent VMXers (add up your costs honestly) so a good clean bike is probably worth that....unless it is something quite exotic.

So true, if you want it right you need to spend, it's a bottomless pit.  But then again the smile on our faces says it's worth it.  Even if 'She who will be obeyed' doesn't quite agree
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 09:27:44 am »

So true, if you want it right you need to spend, it's a bottomless pit.  But then again the smile on our faces says it's worth it.  Even if 'She who will be obeyed' doesn't quite agree
[/quote]

yeah I think the smart money is buying a nice clean bike that someone else (probably me) has spent 6 grand or more on and wants to sell fast for 3K.

Still doesn't seem to stop me from jumping into a new bike build like a Lemming off a cliff. ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 09:30:54 am »
sounds a bit rich to me.
i didn't keep real acurate records but all up, i'd be surprised if i spent $2500 building my bike, including the purchase price. but then i charge myself zero for labour ;) and have access to some pretty handy tools/workshop :)

Couldn't agree more, although there are some variables:

Race bikes are easy, even if you have to spend more of cool/strong/better performing parts.
Pristine, back to orginal bikes are typically a lot more expensive - chasing the correct handle bars, and then having them rechromed is going to cost a heap more than $90 for a new set of Renthals from your local dealer - and this is just one example... Scott W has told me roughly what his restos owe him, including a component for labour which included his time on the web/phone chasing parts - suffice to say that he'd be very lucky to get his money back on any of the bikes, despite the awesome quality of the restos.

I also think that a lot of people often add costs to their rebuilds simply by replacing bits that don't need replacing. I'm not having a go at anyone who tries to put as much new stuff into their bike as possible, but it comes back to a lesson from years ago when I was right into the rotary Mazda scene.
The short version is that one bloke (Kevin Webb) could build motors a LOT cheaper than anyone else, and his motors were as reliable and powerful as anyone's (and better than many).
The difference was that he knew what needed replacing and what didn't - he could make accurate value judgements on a component's remaining lifespan, whereas the other builders would strictly, blindly adhere to the ultra-conservative Mazda specs, or they'd simply, blindly replace everything on the assumption that all new parts had to be better.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 10:57:39 am »
TT500 belongs to friend of friend, you start building them like this out of NOS parts and dollars clock up faster than an RSL pokie.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 11:01:25 am »
Nathan is spot on (and I know this is slightly off the thread).  My very first resto was a 78 Honda CR250R - knew nothing about restoing and everything was done as best I could do or afford - ended up being a beautiful bike but close to $6K including initial buy without my time.  Fortunately learnt so much form that that my next resto - 1982 RM250Z -ended up being as good but close to half the price because I then knew the best place to overhaul a motor, where to get it powdercoated etc etc etc etc.  I do still think that somewhere around $3.5 to $4K seems to be the average price for bikes.  If they get much more than that then bikes from the States start to look competitive in price???

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 11:32:40 am »
Even for race bike, if you go through engine, new shocks, rebuild forks, new spokes, then make it look presentable with paint and seat cover you have probably run through 3-4K without drawing breath. but I agree having a few guys you know who give you mates rates helps.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 02:17:15 pm »
Looking at selling my MX360A will I recover the cost, never.  But looking to buy a European  up to Pre 85's and 'She who will be obeyed" says there's no money for it.  Surely this cannot be true.  We don't need the new washing machine just yet, and why don't you just go to the barbers like me!!!  The line about the knickers and bra, definitely didn't work!!!  Ah well will still have the MX250A

That's just something we live with spend it on the beauty and then want another.  Cost spent means nothing to fun had, and I'm not even a good rider, but am having too much fun
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 02:40:31 pm »
That's just something we live with spend it on the beauty and then want another. 

Apart from your riding you have to work on your hiding (catchy slogan). A seasoned VMXer always keeps his bikes spread across town, continents,  or claims he is just working on a 'mates to help him out"..... that way you are covered for fire, floods, divorce and your wife taking an unexpected inventory.  ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 02:46:26 pm »
That's just something we live with spend it on the beauty and then want another. 

Apart from your riding you have to work on your hiding (catchy slogan). A seasoned VMXer always keeps his bikes spread across town, continents,  or claims he is just working on a 'mates to help him out"..... that way you are covered for fire, floods, divorce and your wife taking an unexpected inventory.  ;D

I can see you are speaking from experience.  I thought I did a good job before convincing the wife that i had only spent $2000 on both bikes, yeah like thats just the transport over here to the west!!lol.  I know though exactly where you're coming from, problem is the wife has got involved with the club (VMXWA) and is taking the photo's at the meetings as well as assisting with the website.  So is a more wanted comodity than myself, even think i might be disposable.  She's kinda like in the loop of whats going on,  bugger!!! knew I should have left her at home
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 07:45:27 pm »
hey vandy is that the motor in bike
you got from me ;D
follow me to first turn

mx250

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 07:56:31 pm »
(add up your costs honestly)
What, are you trying to take all the fun out of it? ;D

I add prices up roughly in my head ::), round off prices, 'forget' to include the postage......and in no time at all its a $1500 bike 8) :D

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 01:55:36 am »
hey vandy is that the motor in bike
you got from me ;D
some of it is yeah.
i've used the clutch basket,drain plug and a few other little things. after all was said 'n' done, my crank turned out to be the better of the two anyway and the barrel i got from you is actually a 75' DT item but will still make a good spare.
she's all good ;)
"flat bickie"