Author Topic: May Viper round at Ravenswood cancelled.  (Read 34956 times)

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: May Viper round at Ravenswood cancelled.
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2015, 01:20:55 pm »
Ted, no blame game, just saying if we can establish why the big two didn't support this year we are well on the way to finding a solution.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2015, 01:32:59 pm »
If you weren't on this forum, how would Joe Punter have known the 2015 PCMXNats were on?
What about in 2014?
2013?
2012?

I see a direct correlation between the publicity (amount and quality) and the success of these events.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2015, 01:46:13 pm »
Ok I didn't go because it was too far (3200 klm round trip) and there was only 2 laps practice and 4 then 3 lap races.  FACT

Also there was still doubt about some interpretations of rules.

If someone else I knew was going I may have still gone.

I think the Queensland clubs are successful and Heaven because they run the meetings themselves.  I don't know exactly what Viper does so I won't comment.

Lets look at it.  Lakes and Canberra were to be run by non VMX clubs.  When it became clear there might be a financial loss they weren't willing to risk their club members money.  I didn't consider going to Lakes because the extra cost of accommodation was just too much.

I think it should stay split.  But whoever runs it has to have an interest in Classic or Post Classic.  QVMX made Toowoomba work because they knew if they didn't get sponsorship they would run at a loss.

Also the facts are the majority of riders don't want to race at Championships.  This is probably why the number of Victorians was not what it could have been and Broadford was the week before.

I believe Heaven should run the Post Classics next year at Dargle.  I believe it would be the 20 year anniversary of the first VMX Nats.  It is central to Queensland and Victoria. As for Classic someone put your hand up now.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 02:54:15 pm by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2015, 01:58:29 pm »
Heaven at Dargle would be great for Post Classic if the club is willing. Classic Nats applied for months ago.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2015, 02:03:09 pm »
Ted, no blame game, just saying if we can establish why the big two didn't support this year we are well on the way to finding a solution.

Bit busy now Col but i will elaborate tonight. Cheers
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2015, 02:11:07 pm »
This is my own opinion, doesn't count for much and is not a go at any club or persons who attends or don't nationals

We were told the classic nats would die once split from the post classic as there was so much more support for the post classic events in the Eastern states.  Low and behold the event having problems attracting people seems to be the post Classic, not because the clubs aren't trying it just appears that either due to financial constraints or just a non willingness to travel outside of their state, people don't attend.  Yet the classic is still triving though down slightly on numbers last year was still an excellent event and everyone had a ball and people have been willing to travel.  This year it is going to be held in WA and I still believe though many might not get the chance to attend, those that take the hint from how we in the West work together to get people and bikes to a national, might just have the time of their lives and we still believe we can get 100 riders from WA including sidecars.

Non attendance at any national is not a club fault who have put their hand up I feel it can go back to clubs and riders, whether they want to promote or attend.  Those who attend the Classic nats, no matter what age find it's more about comerarderie and enjoying the era than ego's when it comes to Post Classic which is what I tend to read on the forum.  I think sometimes we forget how old we are and why we ride
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2015, 02:22:04 pm »
Good post Tossa.
It was mostly the "punters" who seemed to be missing at Ravenswood - I went with no delusions of placing on the podium, but was consistently fighting for second last in both classes. Last year (on the same bikes) I was comfortably ahead of the tail end...

I have also seen a trend toward the older bikes being kept for "special occasions" - they're saved for big events. This means there's less of them doing regular duty at club events, but their owners are more likely to be enthused about going to the Nationals.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2015, 02:48:12 pm »
Good post Tossa.
It was mostly the "punters" who seemed to be missing at Ravenswood - I went with no delusions of placing on the podium, but was consistently fighting for second last in both classes. Last year (on the same bikes) I was comfortably ahead of the tail end...

I have also seen a trend toward the older bikes being kept for "special occasions" - they're saved for big events. This means there's less of them doing regular duty at club events, but their owners are more likely to be enthused about going to the Nationals.

Does anyone think that Broadford the week before had an effect on riders fronting up two weeks in a row.  I think older riders don't necessarily want to ride/race every weekend.  Also costs for two weekends in a row.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2015, 03:05:55 pm »
It also could be a case of some of the riders are getting a little older and maybe wiser, and they are slowly backing out of racing and are happy with a couple of meetings a year with a classic dirt or broadford bonanza thrown in.
This could be affecting the numbers.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:09:34 pm by Viper79 »
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2015, 03:12:48 pm »

Does anyone think that Broadford the week before had an effect on riders fronting up two weeks in a row.  I think older riders don't necessarily want to ride/race every weekend.  Also costs for two weekends in a row.

That probably is quite true and could be a point about planning of the event.  I also find that the forum is also detrimental especially the discussions regarding bike eligibility, length of races  at nationals etc and I believe that the common punter reading these threads can easily decided not to attend due to the believe it won't be fun, just a bun fight.  Only to find out later that quite a few of these people don't actually attend these events..  Quite often on here the discussions actually drag the sport down continually finding fault in it instead of reasons why we do it
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2015, 03:25:28 pm »
I have said it before and been shot down - not an issue - but I believe our "Nats" are not like other "Nats" and the majority of guys want to come for a ride and catch up - not sheep stations.  I don't want to ride 15 min  motos and yes do like 3 lap "sprints' - remember accommodate the "A" graders and "A" graders will come - accommodate everybody.....................

And this is not a go at Bendigo either as I know nothing about what happened there it is just a continuation of where this thread is going.

Some small percentage of us can still race - the rest like to ride - I also said before with an attitude like this maybe no more Nats for me????

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2015, 03:26:06 pm »
Kev no one should criticise anyone for not attending for financial reasons,as that is a personal choice and valid.
I did 6 laps Sat practice and 2 Sunday. Had time to do more but not the energy.
No doubts about rules, 2015 rules and interpretation applied. No eligibility issues at scrutineering. Your 490 would have passed.
Six trailers or vans travelled down from Qld, did you ask anyone?
Victoria supplied 63% of the entry, not too shabby.
Nathan, I went one better than you, last every race.
It is a given that it is an expensive exercise to travel, and some people just can't afford the money or the time and that reason is totally valid.
The cost of camping excuse for The Lakes is a bit thin, about $15 a day close to the track.
Broadford a week before could have been a minor factor, but can also work in favour of both events.
I also, without starting another storm, think Tossa is right in that the negativity on the forum doesn't help and is largely generated by people who don't ride at these events anyway.
We are holding the Qld Classic/Post Classic titles the weekend after CD11, and expect it will benefit both.
There seem to be a different culture between Classic and Post Classic as Tossa alludes to, and I think that is a factor.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2015, 03:30:35 pm »
For anyone new to the sport considering going to a Nats, do it. I've done nearly every one since 1994, and enjoyed every one of them.

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2015, 03:40:31 pm »
I have said it before and been shot down - not an issue - but I believe our "Nats" are not like other "Nats" and the majority of guys want to come for a ride and catch up - not sheep stations.  I don't want to ride 15 min  motos and yes do like 3 lap "sprints' - remember accommodate the "A" graders and "A" graders will come - accommodate everybody.....................

And this is not a go at Bendigo either as I know nothing about what happened there it is just a continuation of where this thread is going.

Some small percentage of us can still race - the rest like to ride - I also said before with an attitude like this maybe no more Nats for me????

Rossco

So right Rossco
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Digga

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2015, 04:56:26 pm »
Some very good positive comments/input here with the objective being to understand why the 2015 numbers were below what would be considered healthy for a viable event & then establish the reasons why, followed by a plan to address & correct it for the future.

Out of interest, I went over both the Echo Valley & Ravenswood programs/entry lists to see who came & from where. No particular order, bias, other than looking at the data FYI:

Damian Foley NSW
Jason Ladson Vic
Steve Magnusson SA
Justin McMahon Qld
Dale Newman SA
Sean Allanson Qld
Wayne Skyring Qld
Jacob Dank Qld
Brad Van Barrelo Qld
Carl Blecher NSW
Dave Tanner Qld
Gary Armstrong Qld
Larry Robertson SA
Craig Lancaster NSW
Colin Metcher Qld
John Kemp Qld
Henry Leatham Vic
Nathan Senior NSW

Apologies to anyone I left out or mispelling etc  ::)
1977 Yamaha YZ250D, 1977 Yamaha YZ400D, 1980 Yamaha YZ125G