Author Topic: Boyd and Stelling.  (Read 13696 times)

firko

Boyd and Stelling.
« on: July 20, 2008, 12:01:10 am »
Amid the hype surrounding the recent sale of the Cheney TM400, a little gem became available on Mark Holloways site yesterday.
It's an extremely rare Boyd and Stelling TM400 Suzuki that in my opinion is even tricker and more interesting than the Cheney. And now it's mine. The comparison with the Cheney is that both bikes were built by Bob Neilson in Las Vegas. Even better was the $1400 price tag! The bike is pretty trick,with a nickel plated chrome moly frame, aluminium swingarm, trick adjustable steering head with YZ250 A forks, RL back wheel and Yamaha front. The engine is a late model TM400 with all of the usual goodies and a nice pipe. As you can see from the photos, it's in pretty good condition and really only needs a tidy up and assembly. As many of you know, I love aftermarket framed bikes, the more obscure, the better and they don't come any rarer than a B&S. Check out the adjustable steering head! I reckon this is going to be a very cool bike to ride.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:43:45 am by firko »

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Boyd and Stelling.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 09:35:13 am »
almost looks a little Maico i reckon,
top score champ!
"flat bickie"

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 09:43:43 am »
nice looking little Clarke tank on it.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 10:05:35 am »
What class would this bike run in   pre 74 or pre 78 ???   why I ask the swing-arm shock  mounts would class it as pre 78
Trick bit of gear all the same - rear find I must say  BARGAIN  ;D

firko

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 11:03:59 am »
Oldfart, the bike is a '73 model so it fits into pre '75. I'm not sure of your point regarding shock mounting points. As long as it has 4" of travel and the mounting points are in the original B&S position, it's legal. You sure love those plastic tanks Leith! I hate 'em myself but each to his own. It's a Windsor tank BTW. The tank and the wrong period Acerbis mudguards will be the first things to go. I'll fit a steel TM tank and opaque white RH replica guards and sidecover.

It's not rocket science finding these kind of bikes. The odd and unique come up more often than you'd think. In the last month or so my mate Jonesy has picke up an American Eagle roller for $100 or so, a Wassell 125 roller for a similar price and a cherry BSA Weslake Metisse for 9k which is a lot of money for sure, but really cheap considering the rarity of the bike. Last week I bought a cherry Metisse Zundapp frame that will house my DT1 engine for $104. If you add the $1000 Cheney Yamaha, $400 Hindall Kawa roller and $1000 Hindall Ducati frame/engine, neither Alan nor I have spent silly money to own unique bikes. I was content to finish my Duke and then get into the Cheney and Metisse projects, not needing any more bikes but this bike was too good to let go.

Both Alan and I like the idea of building something different to the cookie cutter bikes. It allows us to inject a little of our own ideas and personalities into the bikes and not be tied by the correctness constraints of a concourse style resto or racer. The bikes we had in the Kompound at CD5 relflect the direction our bike building is taking us. It's also bringing bikes into Australia that have never been seen here before, therefore injecting a bit more variety and colour into the usual mix.

I'd love to see more people purchasing and building 'left field' bikes. It's fun, often cheap and adds a bit of colour to our scene.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 11:58:16 pm by firko »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 12:28:28 pm »
Old fart the shocks look like 74/75 Cr 125 or 250 honda shocks, so they are period.

Firko, I know you slammed the tm400 as a dog motor so what are you going to put in it ?

i agree with the bitsa, you dont have to go all concourse on them and you can actually ride em for the fun, not just stare at them in the lounge room.  Things you can paint ecite me ATM, like glass tanks and rears. make it all more interesting and easier than yellow plastic
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 12:51:03 pm »
Freaky I may have bagged the old TM400 over the years but this bike comes with the TM400 engine with it so why would I put anything else in it? Why ruin the nickel plating by welding in new mounts? If I was to put something else in it (hypothetically) it'd have to be a side port engine because of the single front downtube so my pick would be a CZ as B&S were noted for their CZ frames. I wouldn't mind betting that this frame is the same as the CZ version. Jeez Freak,I actually agree with you about painting the bike. Those plastic tanks look positively poxy on a bike like this. I want to bling it up a little bit so paint and polish are the go. This bike may just end up as my dirt track bike for pre '75 with the Cheney for pre '70 and the Cotton for pre '65. Now I can gracefully retire the old Maico after 38 years of racing.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 01:05:30 pm »
firko can you explain the head stem for it looks interesting to say the least

firko

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 01:33:19 pm »
No idea Paul. That's why I can't wait to see it!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 04:34:56 pm »
Excellent find Firko. It's great that some of this rarer stuff is coming to Aust. & most likely be on show at CD#'s etc.
I wasn't aware that B&S made frames, I only knew of their swingarms. They were very advanced for their day. Their alloy swingarms were made from cast alloy sections for the axle pivot & cast alloy sections for the swingarm pivot with extruded tube welded inbetween, not unlike a modern alloy MX frame.

A Boyd & Stelling swingarm from the GMC spy vault...

I was asked to build a replica B & S for a Yamaha many years back, I had to have the axle ends milled from billet to help maintain the look....
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »
thats a nice piece of work there  ;)

firko

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 04:50:34 pm »
That Maico looks very familiar. It looks very much like the one in my shed!  ;D

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 05:35:37 pm »
That Maico looks very familiar. It looks very much like the one in my shed!  ;D

You left it unguarded at Coffs ;D

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

firko

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 06:13:34 pm »
A Boyd and Stellings Kawasaki Bighorn 350

mx250

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 07:39:56 pm »
Congrats Firko ythats a wonderfull pick up. With the amount of exotic and interesting you and Jonesey will be able to charge admission to KKK next CD6.

Ya better get weaving - ya given your self a shit load of work to do between now and CD6, enjoy 8) ;D