Author Topic: Murphy's Creek Vinduro is on.  (Read 14130 times)

Offline vintage815

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Murphy's Creek Vinduro is on.
« on: February 24, 2015, 11:48:43 am »
G'day all, it was a sad day :-[ :-[ when we had to postpone our Vinduro at the weekend, but with all the heavy rain and the cyclone coming our way we had little choice. I'm sorry to all who were preparing to come to the ride and were disappointed with the postponement.

That said, I've just confirmed the 21st and 22nd of March with MQ for our Vinduro ;D ;D I look forward to catching up with you all then.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact Mick on 0421 276 875 or myself on 0421 510 897 any time.

Lawrie

Offline Husqvarnavillle

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy's Creek Vinduro is on.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 09:45:07 pm »

Bummer, I'm out for that week-end as it is my daughter's 21st Birthday. Hope the weather is kind and everyone still attends.

Enjoy. 

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:04:24 pm »
I'll be there, got the 175 back together.  Bit of testing and right to go.
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline Gibbit

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 08:46:31 am »
Should be there at this stage.
1990 YZ490A

Offline Ozadvntr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 10:49:57 am »
Things should be perfect this time around, the ground is nice and moist and the temperature shouldn't be too hot. The grounds look a treat and we look forward to seeing you all come along for the weekend.

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 11:58:46 am »
im comen

Offline Sweep Rider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 09:31:59 pm »
I'm in... can't wait.
Have a 88 Husky (Cagiva) new to the stable I'm hang'n to try out. ;D
Hopefully will be there Friday night.
1974 TM 250, 1974 XL 250 Moto Sport, 1976 RM 370A, 1976 RM 125A, 1977 IT 250D, 1978 SP 370, 1984 XR 200R

Offline vintage815

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 05:24:25 pm »
It's good to see that you are all keen to come over and ride our Vinduro this weekend.  The camp area has just been mowed and is looking a treat. Mick and I are going down on Friday to finish the track marking, and I reckon the tracks should be in great condition after recent rains.

See you all at the weekend. 

Offline Gibbit

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 10:55:14 am »
Looks like they are talking the rain up a bit more now.  Should be Sweet!
1990 YZ490A

Offline vintage815

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 05:49:37 pm »
We just finished off the track marking this afternoon and  I reckon it's the best track we have done to date. There is still a few wet areas to enjoy and a few little hills to rip up. One of the boys had a working trip meter and it read 17 Klms, how long it takes to get around will be up to you. With the moisture still in the ground it should make for a great ride, plus iIt should be a perfect day with the weather forecast indicating that it should be around 28 degrees, with a possible shower, bring it on...

See you all tomorrow. 8) 8) 8)   

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 08:04:57 pm »
Nice

Offline Daryl Jones

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Old Bike World
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 08:59:23 pm »
Bugger!!@!

I arrived on Sat. afternoon, just in time to wait for the "Significant Weather Event".

A Ship Load of rain fell Sat evening, rendering the course practically un-rideable on Sunday. (Some tried).

I took Lawrie's advise and didn't turn a wheel.

Thank-you Lawrie & TMCC for all the work done (twice now), to set the loop & promote this event.

Don't give up, Huey will shine on Murphy's Creek, eventually.

It is a bit disappointing to see the numbers of attendees falling.
If we want these events in SE QLD, we must support them.

The venue is excellent and the loops are more than manageable by reasonably competent riders,
even on Pre-75 trailbikes, (if appropriately prepared, mechanically & tyres, mostly).

They also provide ample challenge for 'older' riders on newer..ish enduro bikes.

The people who attend are a really great bunch, friendly, funny and well worth spending a weekend with,
even if you don't get a ride.

I am eagerly awaiting the next event. I am also joining TMCC, for more access to this great facility.

Thanks again Lawrie & TMCC,

Regards, Daryl jones.

Life's too short not to try to do Everything.

"First they tell you you're wrong, and they can prove it.
Then they tell you you're right, but it's not important.
Then they tell you it is important, but they knew it all along."
Charles Kettering.

Offline Gibbit

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 11:04:01 am »
It was a good ride.  Shame about the rain, but we all need it.

I got there before lunch on Saturday and got set up.  I was one of the first to go out on the loop, so it was a bit hard to pick lines and find where to go but the second lap was much better.

I had a bit of an 'off' on the first lap trying to get up a rocky section.  I bent the bars, broke the clutch leaver and the gear shifter punched a hole in the magneto cover.  All easy fixes.  I must have landed hard on my hand as it really blew up yesterday afternoon and last night.

We saw the storm coming on the radar Saturday evening, so decided to pull the shade tent down and headed to the Murphy's Creek tavern for dinner until the storm blew over. One of the best pub dinners I've had in a while.  When we got back to camp, we set up the tent again and had a few more grogs before bed.

I decided I wouldn't be riding Sunday morning, I couldn't work the clutch because of my hand, but it was too wet anyway.

Well done to the organisers.  Its a shame numbers were down, but hopefully there will be more at the August one.

Sorry I didn't take more photos.

1990 YZ490A

Offline vintage815

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 06:57:57 pm »
I'm a little late in giving this report on our Vinduro which was held last weekend. Saturdays ride was a ripper, there was still heaps of sub soil moisture which kept the tracks perfect for ripping into it. The number of entries for the Saturday was disappointing with only 18 turning up. While having beers on Saturday night the heavens opened up and we had around 30mm plus of rain which effectively put paid to the event starting on Sunday. The Murphy's Creek tracks are great with a bit of moisture, but we unfortunately we had too much rain.

The entry numbers are worrying for the two Clubs that host Vinduros in the south east of Qld. The Sunshine Coast Club run a combined non competitive event on the Saturday and competitive event on the Sunday. My Club the Toowoomba Motorcycle Club are planning on running one more non competitive event in August this year. There are heaps of riders out there with old enduro and MX bikes, but how do we get them to our events?? The Masters Games on the Gold Coast last year attracted approx 50 vinduro riders. The course was very easy and non challenging, but fun to ride. We as a Club are not concerned about making lots of money, if we break even we are happy. Entry for our 2 day event is $50.00, plus an MA license if required. The masters Games was triple this amount. The Toowoomba Club is all about promoting the sport of motorcycling, and I thank our sponsors Toowoomba Honda, Toowoomba Yamaha for supplying arrows and bunting.

Are our events perceived to be too hard, and are they worried about damaging their bikes? My question to you all is, what can be done to increase the numbers to these events? I would love to hear from you all on this.

My Club and I will  continue to run Vinduros in the short term in the hope of attracting more riders to what I believe is a great concept. The only thing that will stop me is the lack of support from the riders. It's up to you. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Yours in motorcycling

Lawrie

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 07:27:38 pm »
Laurie my thoughts are
  • dont run an event in summer as its likely to be too hot and people won't commit.  March through November is good. You can't help bad luck with the weather  :o
  • If it's a club race weekend, guys who ride VMX will want to race Sunday so a full day riding Vinduro Saturday might help attract people who currently chose between vinduro or racing. Let them do both  ;D
  • consider a joint vinduro Saturday and VMX race day Sunday at Echo Valley.  Invite QVMX and BMCC to join together for this
  • allow moderns to ride (juniors and partners) with an adult VMX entrant. Make it more family orientated.
  • have a competitive event where people get to do as many loops as they can in a specified time period with small prizes .

I think publicity in QVMX and BMCC and SCMCC email lists would help if those clubs would be prepared to share the vinduro word. Having flyers at their race days would help also.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:48:02 pm by PEZBerq »
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE