Author Topic: Murphy's Creek Vinduro is on.  (Read 14131 times)

oldfart

Re: Murphy's Creek Vinduro is on.
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 08:05:21 pm »
I have ridden in all The master Games Vinduros  and I would not say they were easy by any manner .
Laurie , I think the weather had a lot to do with your event  this year ( storm season ) plus  winter has not really kicked in yet .
Take for instance last year at Connondale  Vinduro  Saturday was fine and Sunday it pissed down .... numbers were low also.

Offline Eddy#36

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 08:19:16 pm »
I'm a little late in giving this report on our Vinduro which was held last weekend. Saturdays ride was a ripper, there was still heaps of sub soil moisture which kept the tracks perfect for ripping into it. The number of entries for the Saturday was disappointing with only 18 turning up. While having beers on Saturday night the heavens opened up and we had around 30mm plus of rain which effectively put paid to the event starting on Sunday. The Murphy's Creek tracks are great with a bit of moisture, but we unfortunately we had too much rain.

The entry numbers are worrying for the two Clubs that host Vinduros in the south east of Qld. The Sunshine Coast Club run a combined non competitive event on the Saturday and competitive event on the Sunday. My Club the Toowoomba Motorcycle Club are planning on running one more non competitive event in August this year. There are heaps of riders out there with old enduro and MX bikes, but how do we get them to our events?? The Masters Games on the Gold Coast last year attracted approx 50 vinduro riders. The course was very easy and non challenging, but fun to ride. We as a Club are not concerned about making lots of money, if we break even we are happy. Entry for our 2 day event is $50.00, plus an MA license if required. The masters Games was triple this amount. The Toowoomba Club is all about promoting the sport of motorcycling, and I thank our sponsors Toowoomba Honda, Toowoomba Yamaha for supplying arrows and bunting.

Are our events perceived to be too hard, and are they worried about damaging their bikes? My question to you all is, what can be done to increase the numbers to these events? I would love to hear from you all on this.

My Club and I will  continue to run Vinduros in the short term in the hope of attracting more riders to what I believe is a great concept. The only thing that will stop me is the lack of support from the riders. It's up to you. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Yours in motorcycling

Lawrie
Lawrie,

Its a hard one to attract rider numbers in Vinduro, obviously not as popular as VMX - VMX riders rarely venture into the bush on VMX bikes.

Idea only-

run a Vinduro championship for SE Qld / Nth NSW

Murphys Ck
Green Park
maybe other one at Kyogle? NSW
 however still run a practice on Saturday, as some don't like racing old bikes - Race Sunday?

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 08:33:31 pm »
I have ridden in all The master Games Vinduros  and I would not say they were easy by any manner .

That's funny I read Lauries statement as the Murphy's Ck track being easy but I could have been mistaken.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 08:55:47 pm »
I'm a little late in giving this report on our Vinduro which was held last weekend. Saturdays ride was a ripper, there was still heaps of sub soil moisture which kept the tracks perfect for ripping into it. The number of entries for the Saturday was disappointing with only 18 turning up. While having beers on Saturday night the heavens opened up and we had around 30mm plus of rain which effectively put paid to the event starting on Sunday. The Murphy's Creek tracks are great with a bit of moisture, but we unfortunately we had too much rain.

The entry numbers are worrying for the two Clubs that host Vinduros in the south east of Qld. The Sunshine Coast Club run a combined non competitive event on the Saturday and competitive event on the Sunday. My Club the Toowoomba Motorcycle Club are planning on running one more non competitive event in August this year. There are heaps of riders out there with old enduro and MX bikes, but how do we get them to our events?? The Masters Games on the Gold Coast last year attracted approx 50 vinduro riders. The course was very easy and non challenging, but fun to ride. We as a Club are not concerned about making lots of money, if we break even we are happy. Entry for our 2 day event is $50.00, plus an MA license if required. The masters Games was triple this amount. The Toowoomba Club is all about promoting the sport of motorcycling, and I thank our sponsors Toowoomba Honda, Toowoomba Yamaha for supplying arrows and bunting.

Are our events perceived to be too hard, and are they worried about damaging their bikes? My question to you all is, what can be done to increase the numbers to these events? I would love to hear from you all on this.

My Club and I will  continue to run Vinduros in the short term in the hope of attracting more riders to what I believe is a great concept. The only thing that will stop me is the lack of support from the riders. It's up to you. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Yours in motorcycling

Lawrie

Hi Lawrie,
              From our experience in NSW, firstly with HEAVEN and now with vTr, is to make them 2 day non competitive rides. Vinduro in NSW has grown considerably because there is literally hundreds of vintage riders who are just not interested in the racing ( competition ) anymore. vTr will run 7 of these events this year and then there is the Cookardinia ( non competitive ) event to finish off the year, run by a modern club. The distance between our furtherest south to our furtherest north venue is a 10 hour drive and still all of these events will be well patronised.

All the best with whatever direction you take.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 12:08:25 am »
Stu, I think He meant their track not the masters,  But good question why do so many pay a heap to ride the masters?  Promotion maybe? 

Lawrie, The track you laid out was awesome.  Just the right mix for a trail ride.  I contacted maybe 10 guys who were just not able to make it on that Wend and you could add to them other who have would come with them.  But that's just it, it can't be the same guys that must turn up or it fails.   

Maybe that's the thing for those of us that want these events get on the phone and tell people about them.  When you see it on forums or Facebook comment and share.
Tell people how good they are.  Build a gang who meet up at the rides.  I think this is even more important when it is a trail ride.   

I am starting to promote the Vinduro Sprint and I admit I'm useless at it, because every time I run it I have people tell me they didn't know it was on.  This year has been hard because of other commitments I have not been able to make it to the VMX events to explain their MX bike wont fall apart if they ride them for more than 10mins they didn't in their day and they won't now.  Add to that I don't really like annoying people about it all the time.  Anyone want a job?

I still believe there is a place for competition Classic enduros and we sell our sport short by not having them.  Well, by not having competitions it's not a sport at all.       

In SEQLD we have a great trail ride series so I would rather trail ride my modern and race my old bike.

The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 01:31:53 pm »
Noel, I think the Masters games wins out because you pay an extra $100 and get a medallion or something so everyone has that warm fuzzy feeling....lol....it's funny that in SEQ they [Vinduro's or whatever the correct name is] haven't taken off....down south they work. Maybe there are to many "modern" trailrides to compete in/on?....SEQ is a very busy area for all kinds of motosport. In reality SEQ has about 3 million people, there are only 300? approax that do VMX, Vinduro is about 1/6th of that....there's probably 50 bike shops in this area, most people don't know about VMX so how are they going to find out about Vinduro?.....you need to market your product better.....3 mill for a TV add campaign should get you another 50 riders maybe?....lol... ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

oldfart

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 05:32:25 pm »
Master games is also limited by age ;) 
Joan.... most of them ride at Woodenbong- Ray has a meeting there each year and It's packed.

Offline vintage815

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 07:05:38 pm »
G'day to Davey good to hear from you, The only reason I went to the masters games last year was because someone kindly donated two entries to a friend and I'm still waiting for my warm :) :) fuzzy feeling in the shape of a medallion from the ride. Everyone has valid points on why we don't attract riders, to me it's a mystery as we send out info every where, Clubby has even promoted it Trailzone. Yes it gets hot in Queensland, that said it doesn't stop VMX/MX, enduros or Sprint events taking place. Our Vinduro's are NON Competitive, and you can ride the loop as many times as you like and as slow or as fast as your skills will allow you.   

I'm all ready planning our next Vinduro which will be held at the Toowoomba Motorcycle Clubs property at Murphy's Creek around the 22nd 23rd of August, but it's up to YOU the riders to either support vinduro's or not. If you don't turn up it's your loss not mine. Enough said  :D :D 

Offline Graham

• A-Grade
  • Fast TT meets Drunks Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 07:24:13 pm »
Maybe contact QVMX and BMCC and get members mailing list you can notify all members with one e mail
Gosh its a shame a slow 4 stroke trail bike can go so Fast !!

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 01:01:48 pm »
Please note.  Most motocross riders simply do not want to ride their bikes on Enduro trails.  Back in the day I had a trail bike and enjoyed going trail riding.  If I get a chance I will buy a bike for Vinduro.

Laurie

Has the club got enough land for a 2nd loop.  Maybe if you included Juniors (on any bike) you may get more riders fathers and sons etc.

Also as Vinduro is non competitive maybe consider opening it up to Pre 2000. 

Something someone can trail ride on any other time.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline ducati

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 10:11:10 pm »
G'day Lawrie

Firstly, I rode the Saturday and although I only managed one lap of the track on Saturday (many reasons) it was a ripper of a track and a great venue. I've never been out there before buy will certainly make it back for the August ride.
I have only been into the vintage scene for the last 3 years but have ridden with QVMX for 3 years, did the Masters Games and the Conondale Sprint for the last 2 years. The comment that I have heard from many people involved in the organisation of these clubs and events seems to be the lack of good rider numbers. I agree with what a few others hear are saying and there needs to be better sharing of upcoming events between clubs or maybe a email list of people who are interested in Vinduro. Ultimately it would have to benefit all clubs and surely that can't do any harm.
I know with the Murphy's Creek Rides, I only found the info via this forum. I admit I'm a long way from being overly savvy with the various forums but both myself and my friend had trouble getting definite details as to where, when and what times.
I had only been at a QVMX meet a week before and there was no mention of the Vinduro at all. Somehow we need to get all the SE Qld clubs to support each other better and spread the info more as it will only help to encourage the old boys with old bikes out to these types of events. It would be great to see more vinduros in SE Qld and surely there must be more people wishing the same.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 08:18:22 am »
Ducati. You have hit the nail on the head. We need to get all the Vintage/Classic clubs (MX, DT, Enduro, etc) working together.

Riders don't care who is No 1 or whatever they just want to ride.

Motocross is Queensland was at it's strongest when the MX sub committee oversaw everything.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline foxy999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 08:43:48 am »
Maybe contact QVMX and BMCC and get members mailing list you can notify all members with one e mail

Clubs would not hand out members mailing lists as per the privacy act, but Clubs are more than welcome to send out information to any club and ask if they can forward on to members . QVMX has been advertising Noel's events( The Sunshine Coast Club )at riders briefing,  Facebook page ect. So much on over the year its hard to keep up...   :)

My fastest lap is the first one :)