Author Topic: ProX Rod specifically for my model is wrong width  (Read 11549 times)

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: ProX Rod specifically for my model is wrong width
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 03:16:41 pm »
Will you still have enough thread left? 10mm of thread doesn't sound like much. $130!! I better start charging more.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 05:20:12 pm »
Sleepy, i inserted the PVL rotor on the shaft before i cut it and it went past the good threads and only needs a small nip to tighten it on the taper. After that, i dont think you would even need the nut as you have to use a puller to get the rotor back off.  Saying that, i will use a good quality nut and some loctite and it will be perfect.  I worked it out that the end of the nut and the end of the shaft will be flush.  When i get to that part of the rebuild, i will put some pix up in the Yamaha section.
Not sure how you charge sleepy, but if i was close to you i would bring it over, but i have 3 bike shops only 5 minutes away and they just charge by the hour so usually it can differ a bit depending on how stubborn the crank is to pull apart and press back together.  Do you just have a flat rate for a crank rebuild?
Cheers,
Alex

oldfart

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 05:33:45 pm »
Alex ..Serco up here in sunny Qld are under  $100-00. and it's normally a 24 hr turn around.   

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 05:48:37 pm »
Oldfart... i am in WA... with the mining boom, labour prices are through the roof.  I was quoted $660 just to paint my rm80b tank and i was to supply all decals and pick up/deliver the tank.  My knees start shaking if i have to get any work done at a bike shop, hence i do most of my own work.. but sometimes i f*ck it up.  In this case, the bike shop made a small error which has cost me heaps of hassles.  At the moment, Eric Gorr in the US is working on my cylinder, Ash's Spoked Wheels is rebuilding my wheels with gold takasago rims in QLD and Terry Hayes Shock Treatment has my 3 monoshocks which they are rebuilding into 1 good one.  My bike is all over world at the moment.  This is an international project with a budget to match. 
I have heard that Serco are really good for all sorts of work and are very professional.
Cheers,
Alex

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 06:06:00 pm »
Alex - they ( Serco ) have been around for along time and I have never had a problem with their work. Most Business  have a bad day ( as you have experienced ) and a business that wants repeat customers  are more than happy to fix the problem if it's their mistake. ;)
I try to do most of my stuff in house ... hence this is why my projects take for ever  ;D
Geez you don't mind sending parts to all four corners of the world   :D
Cheers Stewart

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 12:48:21 am »
OK guys, thought i would post the outcome of the whole process.  As described previously, i bent the tip and damaged the threads but i straightened it up and cut the threads down and it worked great... got away with it just this once.  I then took the crank into Witch Cycles.  They pulled it back down and said that because of previous damage from a mechanical failure, the crank needed to be machined.  They machined it up which must of thinned the inside, because they used the 1mm shims again but reset the specs using Yamaha crank data.  They were happy to do this and not charge me, so hopefully it is all good now.  Below is a pic of the re-re-built crank showing my thread repair on the left side and everything ready to go back together.  The threaded section on the left was about 25mm long and now it is 10mm but long enough to get a nut on to pull in the rotor and hold it there.
Cheers,
Alex

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 09:35:08 am »
rather than send rims to Qld have you tried Spoked Wheel Services in Beechboro?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 10:48:10 am »
Spoked Wheel Services rebuilt the wheels on my XR500R and did a great job.  I asked them to use my old rims as i wanted to keep the bike original.  They fitted new SS spokes, blasted and painted the hubs, new bearings, tyres etc...  When i finished the XR, i thought the rims let it down but i wanted to retain them so i called Spoked Wheel Services and they said they dont recondition old rims.  I called Ash's Spoked Wheels and they said they would strip the anodizing, sand the rims and get them re anodized.  Originally the rims were silver but i always wanted gold, so they did them in gold.  They came out great and i retained my original DID rims and the bike looked fantastic.  Since then i only use Ash's.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 11:44:37 am »
OK - good point Alex.  Have just removed the front wheel from my 80 CR250 and didn't want to buy a new rim but the original could do with a tidy up so may do the same thing myself.

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 01:11:23 pm »
OK guys, thought i would post the outcome of the whole process.  As described previously, i bent the tip and damaged the threads but i straightened it up and cut the threads down and it worked great... got away with it just this once.  I then took the crank into Witch Cycles.  They pulled it back down and said that because of previous damage from a mechanical failure, the crank needed to be machined.  They machined it up which must of thinned the inside, because they used the 1mm shims again but reset the specs using Yamaha crank data.  They were happy to do this and not charge me, so hopefully it is all good now.  Below is a pic of the re-re-built crank showing my thread repair on the left side and everything ready to go back together.  The threaded section on the left was about 25mm long and now it is 10mm but long enough to get a nut on to pull in the rotor and hold it there.
Cheers,
Alex

Are you sure they just didn't machine .5mm of each outside without pulling it apart again? Bit hard to see from your photo but what they told you sounds a bit odd.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 02:00:52 pm »
Sleepy, they said they pulled it apart and there was some internal damage which didnt allow the use of the .5mm shims.  Not sure why.  But they reckon they machined the inside surface of the crank halves.  Then they reused the 1mm shims as because of the machining, the .5mm shims would allow to much slop.  I have measured the internal gap and it is back at 19mm with the 1mm shims which is the spec that it originally had.  The first time they gave it to me, the internal gap had gone from 19mm to 20mm which effectively widened the crank and thus got tight in the cases.  I am re-fitting it all this arvo so i will report back on fittment but should be good now.

P.S -  hope all you Queenslanders are OK with that cyclone bearing down.  Good luck and take care...

Cheers,
Alex

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 02:27:35 pm »
Ok. still seems a bit odd that they didn't notice that damage the first time around. Main thing is that it is fixed. I have the outside width as 56mm for the YZ125's

Weather is best described as wet here in Bris. They tell us that the cyclone or storm will get here on Saturday sometime but will be just rain by then. I hope not to much rain as our local bridge has water about 1 meter from going over already and if it gets much heavier I will be stuck here with me feet up.

oldfart

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 02:53:49 pm »
George..... Feet up, not likely  :)

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 04:24:16 pm »
George..... Feet up, not likely  :)

Can't even dream of a bit of time off, thank a lot.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 07:41:48 pm »
Roscoe, they do warn you that a rim can crack when re-anodized.  Mine were fine.
Sleepy, i went out and measured the crank up and bang on 56mm.  I installed everything this morning and shut the case halves up.  All fitted up perfectly.  Again, lesson learnt is to check crank against specs before refitting it or you will be in for a world of pain.
Cheers,
Alex