Author Topic: ProX Rod specifically for my model is wrong width  (Read 11548 times)

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
ProX Rod specifically for my model is wrong width
« on: February 12, 2015, 06:28:20 pm »
Well, after considerable time, cost and effort, i started putting the engine back together on the 1983 YZ125K.  All new bearings, seals, rod,etc..  When it came to tightening up the cases, in the last 1mm, the crank tightened up.  I did all the usual stuff, a tap here, tighten it all up, back it all off etc.. but the crank would go tight on final torque.  If i backed everything off a whisker, the crank would loosen up.  Anyway, i knew there was a problem so i ripped it all apart again.  Checked main bearings. All OK and seated right in.  I checked the newly rebuilt crank and measured up the new rod.  Its 17mm wide.  I grabbed my genuine Yamaha rod.  Its only 16mm wide.  The ProX rod says it for 1980-85 YZ125 but it is too wide and thus i am unable to torque the cases together without the crank getting tight.  My question is this.  Do i have a case against ProX if i email them all the details.  Can the bike shop rectifiy the problem or is it an OEM rod to get it right.  Also, in my heavy handed way, i bent the end of the crank where the threads are that tighten the rotor on.  Also, f*cked the threads a bit.  Can this be heated, straightened and rethreaded.  Might be best to start again with a used crank and all OEM rod, spacers, bearings etc..
Thoughts..

This is the rod.. http://www.vmxunlimited.com/connecting-rod-kit-1980-85-yz125-pro-x/  But i got mine from Partzilla

Cheers,
Alex
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:46:39 pm by alexbrown64 »

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: ProX Rod specifically for my model is wrong width
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 06:47:19 pm »
Hate to say it but straightening out your bent crank won't be easy, much easier to start with another crank that isn't damaged.
Is the original rod available still? It may be possible to surface grind .5mm off either side & fit a genuine big end bearing which will be the right width
Part number for the 83 rod kit is the same for 82 & 84 models so I'd say that pro-x has made a mistake 

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 06:56:15 pm »
99% sure I've got a new genuine rod kit for an 84 YZ125 that I never used. You can have it very cheaply if you want it.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 07:13:51 pm »
Tony, i just checked and the original crank is not available.  I have just emailed a long letter to ProX explaining the problem as i believe they have sold an out of spec part which opens a can of worms.  I have checked FleaBay and i can get an old crank for about $100 delivered.  I have only bent the skinny end where i whacked it.  Are you sure you cant just heat em up a bit and get it straight? Its only the last 20mm where the nut goes on.  Nathan, thanks very much for the offer.  I may take you up on that depending on circumstances.

Cheers,
Alex

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 07:53:18 pm »
I may have found the problem and solution.  The original 16mm crank + 2 x 1mm shims and a 1mm gap gave a 19mm space between the crank halves.  The shims used in the crank rebuild were 1mm, the same as OEM ones.  This took the crank (17mm) + 2 x 1mm shims plus a 1mm gap to 20mm.  The ProX kit comes with 0.5mm shims as well which the bike shop did not use and gave back to me.  If they had spec'd it all up first to keep the correct width they would have noticed that using the 0.5mm shims and only a 1mm gap would of given me an 19mm gap between the two crank halves and i would of been in spec.  Back to the bike shop.... but i still may need another crank if i cant straighten and fix the threads on the tip.

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 08:06:26 pm »
I would say that your crank rebuilder made mistake.They should have pick this up. They usually measure , compare and record all crankshaft dimensions before disasembly and when assembling/trueing the crankshaft.

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 08:39:02 pm »
Yes the thread can be brought back onto centre, as long as you have not mushroomed it over too much. Clean the thread up and see if you can get the nut started - slowly pulling it back into shape... be patient and don't use a hammer 

Do you own a set of Vee blocks and a dial indicator ??? as they come in handy for times like this  ;) as it will tell you if the crank is still within spec and spinning on the same centres.

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 08:43:55 pm »
Even though a bent thread is ugly, the taper is the strength of the assembly, and the nut holds the flywheel firm onto it. I have seen plenty of cranks over the years with bent threads that still work fine. As long as the thread itself is ok and the nut is a nice firm fit on it, and there is no damage to the taper, it  will be fine. i use a crank removing tool mostly, and I never hit the end of the crank  if possible, or if i have to i press the crank out of the cases in a press. Worst case scenario if you have to hit the crank, use a copper hammer, and spin the nut on first till it is flush with the end of the crank. Always, always measure the crank width before splitting it, and always, always , check side clearance once the crank is reassembled and trued. I have had some where I have reassembled a crank to the width it was before it split it, and using the same width thrust washers, I have found the side clearance is too little. Most manafacturers will have the width of the crank listed in workshop manuals, or if not the correct side clearance.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 08:55:12 pm »
Turned may a stuffed external thread crank into an internal thread with no adverse effects. Just cut it off, drill & tap & you're good to go without spending any money.
K

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 08:56:44 pm »
with the bent end, they're guaranteed to get damaged by someone at some stage without the proper gear [sorry], but the shop probably won't be using the centre of that to true up the wheels on assembly. They'll have rollers or something or in my case [cheap ass] assuming [or hoping] the other end is still straight so as to use the centre--i run the chuck of the lathe tail stock thingy up to just before the keyway then a centre in other end [primary end] & dial gauge close to the wheels. Shop may have knife edge rollers set close to the wheel & do the reverse of what i do pretty much. Both work. 

'Anyway'--the thread--either just grind a taper up to where the nut will wind on or better still [used to do this at work] find someone with a descent tap & die set with adjustable die jaws & back it off to get past the damaged bit then tighten the jaws on the good thread & wind it back off--that'll sort the thread & just forget it's bent. [won't be bent on the taper so won't matter--my theory anyway, the old fix it but 'dooon't spend any money trick]. Cheers.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 10:30:08 pm »
After your first post I was going to tell you that those kits normaly come with .5 and 1mm thrusts but I see you have worked that out. The shop that fitted the kit for you would be at fault as they should have measured the crank width before taking it apart. The threads can be straightened without the use of heat. I normaly use a soft drift to knock the main part of the thread back in line and then set up the wheel in the lathe to screw cut a new thread through the mushroomed section.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 12:54:51 am »
Lots of great feedback guys.  I will try to straighten and fix the end of the crank and then take it into the bike shop to explain my case.  What a pain.  I had everything together and the cases wiped with Three Bond etc.. Now its all back to cleaning it all up and starting from square 1. 
Thanks again and i will post up the results of my endeavors..
Cheers,
Alex

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 10:42:20 am »
Alex , Your case is strong as you state that they gave you the alternative shims back.  Don't rant and scream, just request the owner and senior mechanic/technician and firmly explain and display the results.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 03:10:17 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 11:01:31 am »
The bike shop probably sent it off somewhere to get done. Not many bike shops do crank work in house. Just out of curiosity how much did you get charged to have the rod fitted?

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 01:33:45 pm »
Thanks again for all the input fella's. 
Well, i got up early this morning to have a fresh look.  The  threaded section on the end of the crank where the rotor goes on was about 25mm.  I straightened it up as best i could and then used a dremel to cut off 15mm which was the damaged section.  I tidied up the thread and spun a 12mm nut on no problem.  So the repair worked great.  Straight, clean and useable.  I had the crank sealed in a plastic bag while i was doing the work, but i still blew it all clean with compressed air and then took it all back to the bike shop.  They do their own cranks there and have done my rm80n crank.  for the N, i supplied the parts and they rebuilt it for about $100.  For this K, they said it was a bit tight and took a little longer so they charged me $130.  Before i went in the shop, i drew everything up and showed all the measurements and where they went wrong.  I showed it to the manager and he was great and understood the problem, especially when i showed him the 0.5mm shims he had given back to me when the mech had used the 1mm shims.  Manager reckons he should get the crank rebuilt and within spec by this afternoon. 
I think  i have arrived at a good outcome.
Lessons learnt.  Before you hand over your crank, write down all your specs and then check them when you get it back as i guess silly little mistakes can happen and you could save yourself a heap of time and effort.

Hopefully can restart the engine rebuild tomorrow.
Cheers,
Alex