Author Topic: CB125S Charging problem  (Read 7646 times)

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
CB125S Charging problem
« on: January 29, 2015, 09:35:36 am »
Not VMX, but I need some help from the brains trust, and I recall that a few of you have early CB and SL Hondas.

I have a mate that has a '71 model CB125S that he rides around on historic rego. The battery charges fine until the lights are turned on and then it gradually begins to discharge. The battery is new and the rectifier checks out fine, with only about 60mV AC at the battery. When running, the battery voltage is around 6.6V, but when the lights are switched on the battery voltage reads 5.8V and begins to drop from there. The current draw is around 1A running and around 6A with the headlight on high beam, which is about correct for a 35W globe.

I suspect that the stator is the problem, and recorded the following AC voltages from the connected stator wiring:

Wire Colours   Headlight Off       Headlight On   
                     Idle      2000rpm  Idle      2000rpm   
Pink-White      5.6V      5.8V      5.4V      5.4V   
Pink-Yellow     7.8V      8.2V      5.6V      5.7V   
Yellow-White   3.1V     3.1V      200mV   200mV   

Any ideas, or any other tests that I could do?

Thanks,

Pete.               

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: CB125S Charging problem
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 09:58:01 am »
Sounds like the lighting coil is faulty or there is an open circuit somewhere. I found with my TS185 that if I replaced all the globes with LED equivalents and an electronic flasher unit battery life improved significantly.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 03:08:13 pm »
Thanks for the reply C-G. The Honda doesn't have a lighting coil, just an alternator. The LED globes are a good idea though, and will reduce the draw on the system significantly,
Pete.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 04:23:56 pm »
Non Honda related but will have a beer for you tomorrow night at the "poste" in Mt Eden....lol
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:07:29 pm »
Precisely the same problem on SL100 , eventually replaced alternator set up to check , with another 2nd hand unit . All fixed. Tim754

Sure the battery is in good order? Cheap 6 volt wet cells can be nasty from new. >:(

I would 1 or 20 spare stators I think ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:55:58 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Daryl Jones

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Old Bike World
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:05:59 pm »
I'm up the bush and don't have the manual with me, but I'm pretty sure the Headlight runs on AC, direct from the coil (White wire), through the switch.
The pink wire goes to the rectifier and charges the battery. Yellow wire is from the ignition coil.

You're only getting (less than) half, the generated power, via the Battery, hence the discharging.

Cheers, DJ
Life's too short not to try to do Everything.

"First they tell you you're wrong, and they can prove it.
Then they tell you you're right, but it's not important.
Then they tell you it is important, but they knew it all along."
Charles Kettering.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 07:47:43 am »
Non Honda related but will have a beer for you tomorrow night at the "poste" in Mt Eden....lol
Wish I was there Mike ;D

Precisely the same problem on SL100 , eventually replaced alternator set up to check , with another 2nd hand unit . All fixed. Tim754

Sure the battery is in good order? Cheap 6 volt wet cells can be nasty from new. >:(

I would 1 or 20 spare stators I think ;)
Thanks Tim, I thought you might know. I've tried another battery and had the same problem. Would there be any chance I could buy a stator from you? No problem if not.
Pete.

I'm up the bush and don't have the manual with me, but I'm pretty sure the Headlight runs on AC, direct from the coil (White wire), through the switch.
The pink wire goes to the rectifier and charges the battery. Yellow wire is from the ignition coil.

You're only getting (less than) half, the generated power, via the Battery, hence the discharging.

Cheers, DJ
Thanks Daryl. I've downloaded a wiring diagram and you are correct, so it all points towards the stator,
Pete.

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 08:52:35 am »
Not sure where you live, but if you Send your stator to Bert Neville, at Small Coil Rewinds, Edols St, Nth Geelong, he will repair your original one no dramas. very reasonably priced and excellent workmanship.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline crossedup2

• B-Grade
  • Never enough shed time.....
    • View Profile
Anything Yamaha. AT1, CT1 (X3), RT1, DT3 (x3), YZ125X,  YZ250E, YZ400D, IT175E, IT250H, XR500RC . Always looking for Pre 78 Yamaha stuff....

Offline crossedup2

• B-Grade
  • Never enough shed time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 06:04:18 pm »
Must have or someone else was quicker!
 ;D ;D ;D
Anything Yamaha. AT1, CT1 (X3), RT1, DT3 (x3), YZ125X,  YZ250E, YZ400D, IT175E, IT250H, XR500RC . Always looking for Pre 78 Yamaha stuff....

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 06:22:41 pm »
Of course I will rip one off a spares engine for you. Not till Monday so time to PM me an address to post it to mate. Hope it gets the little banger going. Cheers.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 06:45:16 pm »
long time ago but thought all the lights [headlight included] ran off the battery, that's on the common old cb125 single, not sure if the 'S' means something different, so to throw a new twist on it [without reading all comments--as beer time] umm where was i!!, wouldn't be surprised if the lighting switch [if it's one on the throttle [or other side], slide type off dip high--thinking maybe this brings in the extra stator coil [coils] to counteract the headlight draw from battery. Stator i'd think should test with continuity between all wires [don't get confused with neutral switch wire] & nothing to earth [unless faulty of course] hardly ever seen a faulty one--or at least the ones lightly encased in some white stuff. By memory they're un-regulated so would rely on a switch to bring in extra coils. Sorry if this confuses things [look in the off/on/dip switch] & tell me if i'm wrong too. Used to work where we sold then 'new' but of course never gave trouble then did they. There is an early trail bike XL125 i think that ran AC ignition with a seperate coil for that within the stator windings but am assuming yours isn't this type. Back to the beer--that'll sort it.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 07:45:07 pm »
All the little earlier Hondas with points type ignitions shared a similar wiring schematic.
That is the ignition, blinkers, horn and brake light circuits were battery linked
whereas the lighting circuit was AC
All three alternator phases were connected to a four plate selenium rectifier, but one off the phase wires was doubled to the handle bar switch blocks as feed for the lighting circuit.
It is accepted that the charging process of dispelling sulfuric acid from the lead paste of the plates does not become effectively active till charging voltage reaches 6.8volts for a 6v battery. A regulated high limit of 7.2 volts is  recommended for safe charging and optimum battery life(for a 6v batt).

Make sure nobody has mistakenly fitted 12v globes in dash or tail.
Classic rego,,,daylight club runs only?
But still a need to comply with the Australian headlight always on rule?
You could get away with a couple of low draw LEDs front and back to avoid scrutiny
A shunt type silicon diode rectifier/regulator will also produce higher forward voltages at lower revs and start the battery charging chemistry sooner than the selenium plate rectifiers will.
But alternator is the remedy path of choice.
Two phases down from once three
One phase to loose then she'll be riding home with the Harleys on the back of the rescue ute ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:53:05 pm by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 07:55:30 pm »
I honestly don't see myself buying anymore lead acid batteries ever again.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 11:55:21 pm »
Bloody hell, how good is this forum. What a great response to a question that's not even VMX related.

Not sure where you live, but if you Send your stator to Bert Neville, at Small Coil Rewinds, Edols St, Nth Geelong, he will repair your original one no dramas. very reasonably priced and excellent workmanship.
Thanks SUZUKI311, looks like I'll be OK, but will definitely put those details in my file.

This help?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/honda-cb-xl-100-125-stator-nos-/351296888726?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51caed1f96

;) ;) ;)
Thanks for the lead crossedup2, that would have been ideal, but I have only just got home from work and missed that one.

Of course I will rip one off a spares engine for you. Not till Monday so time to PM me an address to post it to mate. Hope it gets the little banger going. Cheers.
Thanks very much Tim, I'll PM you with the details.

Mick and Overthehill - thanks guys, you have both put some thought into two very succinct replies. It would appear from what you both say that the battery does the regulation. I have checked all the connections and the globe voltage and wattage and all OK. A solid state rectifier will improve things for sure Mick, but as you point out, the stator seems to be on the way out.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond,

Pete.