Author Topic: flat slide vs round  (Read 9030 times)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
flat slide vs round
« on: December 03, 2014, 06:14:20 PM »
Ive only ever used round slide but what is the best out of flatslide and round, and why? as I am just about to use a flatslide TM38 for the 1st time

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: flat slide vs round
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:12:27 PM »
The early Mikuni flatslides are (in my experience) harder to tune/fussier than a Mikuni roundslide and don't seem to offer a worthwhile improvement in performance or throttle response.

For my money, there's only two carbs that should go onto 2T dirt bikes: the Mikuni VM and the Keihin PWK. I will entertain the Lectron option if you're prepared to get your head around them.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 08:18:58 PM »
 I will second Nathan , Shelpi the VM is the best option for simplicity by three lengths of the main straight.
 I do have some knowledge of tuning Lectrons (and parts) DON'T Bother.......
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 08:19:03 PM »
There is not much in it, nothing wrong with the TM flat slide especialy with a powerjet
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:24:15 PM »
Damnation Lozza ... I have had SFA to do with them :P ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 08:25:48 PM »
What about the keihin pe
Seems very similar to a VM?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 08:39:52 PM »
Too hard to get jets for.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 09:51:38 PM »
lot of punters in the US on old huskys having good results with the Lectrons.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:53:28 PM »
There's too much to write on this subject in a post here.  There are many things to consider, sure a flat-slide will give a stronger pulse over the needle jet at part throttle but if you want more power at 'part throttle' ..... just open the throttle more.

I like the idea of a VM round slide Mikuni but with a 'slide optimiser' filling the void under the slide giving a stronger pulse at part throttle, plus a more streamlined venturi at full throttle.

I disliked the early Mikuni flatslide I had one on my RM250Z, the vacuum at part throttle use to make the throttle valve hang-up, I think the tiny return spring wasn't powerful enough to push the light plastic slide home; had the same problem with the first model GSXR750's.  Loved the wheels on the FCR41 slides on my ZXR750 :-)

Once I get the jetting fine tuned on my Keihin PE38 round slide on my CR500, I'll be happy.  Liking the VM38 on the KX400.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:55:37 PM by John Orchard »
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 08:03:41 AM »
Like Nathan says, Lectrons are cool & good but a head fu*k, as are EI & Blue Magnum. I've used a few Mikuni TMX's and although people say they are harder to jet than a PWK, I've not found that to be the case. A VM round slide with a power jet works nice too. Bings are unreal till they get worn, even though you have to douse your engine with fuel to start them.
K

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 09:52:10 AM »
I have used the good old round slide VM's for years. They were always ok. Just ok, not perfect.
I was having issues with the Husky 390 after I fitted a set of Boysen reeds. Never could get the jetting just right. So I bit the bullet and bought a Lectron. The transformation was incredible. So simple to understand, set up and use. I am now kicking myself for not using one years ago. They are way better than back in the 70's and 80's. The power jet also helps.
I will never go back to a Mikuni now.

The Lectron is very simple to get your head around. Just expensive. But then again, the best always is.

Am I biased now ............. :-)

Yep.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 10:27:02 AM »
thanks eveyone, well thats plain and simple, stay with what I know best ! VM Mikuni, but seem that I have gone to the trouble of doing the initial set up with the TM I will run it 1st then I can do a comparison ;) the lesson here is the one I should already know, do the home work first and dont follow like a sheep :-[
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:35:27 AM by shelpi »

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »
I just got off the phone to Ian Williams (Tuneing) had a chat and he seems to think both are fine :o
Any who asked how much for a New VM38 $175.00 was the answer, so in for a penny in for a pound ;)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 05:31:11 PM »
everything runs a distant second to a Dellorto PHBE/PHSB/VHSB  ;)
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 11:26:46 PM »
Quote from: Lozza
everything runs a distant second to a Dellorto PHBE/PHSB/VHSB  ;)

What would make you run one of the Dellortos in place of a Keihin PWK Airstriker on a big bore 2 stroke?
If you love it, lube it.