Author Topic: What bikes would you like to see featured in VMX mag?  (Read 28867 times)

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
Re: What bikes would you like to see featured in VMX mag?
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2014, 08:36:10 pm »
The thing is if they only put in things you think your interested in you would never get to see the things you didn't know about. leave it to them I say.

If you have a story you think they maybe interested in, put it together and send it to them and leave it to them if they use it or not.   Geez, it's not News ltd ::)  It's a couple of guys we all know who put out an export quality product about our fringe sport!

More German, French and Italian enduros, I reckon ;D   
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:38:41 pm by NSR »
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2014, 08:43:55 pm »
i reckon more stories on race events
slighty agree with ekka
i would always support vmx mag
i think all bikes that interest me 1974-1980 yz yamaha
have already been in vmx mag
keep up the good work ken

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2014, 08:50:59 pm »
dave 14 please have respect on this forum
for the editor of the greatest dirt bike mag in australia

Offline craigclayton

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2014, 08:59:19 pm »
If you could find info on a bike called EMX which was built in the UK in the late 70s, using all sorts of exotic parts. Mike Etough was the owner of the company but had previously worked for CCM as I think a frame builder. Never seen one for sale anywhere but they do have a clip on YouTube.
74 Bultaco 250, 77 RM125b

albrid-3

« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2014, 09:23:03 pm »
   AMMEX 250cc MX (1976)

Gary Jones won four consecutive 250 National championships while racing for Yamaha, Honda, and Can-Am. When he suffered a leg injury at Daytona and Can-Am bought out his contract, Gary took the $70,000 and started his own motorcycle company. Not an easy task, but at the time, Cooper Motorcycles was going out of business, and the Jones family bought the Mexican based company and used the Frank Cooper designed enduro bike as a prototype for the first Jones-Islo (the name would later be changed to Ammex, which stood for American-Mexican).

Under Mexican law, 68 percent of the Ammex had to be manufactured in Mexico, so the pieces that would be out-sourced included Sun rims, Diamond chain, Mikuni carbs and ART pistons. To ensure that the Mexicans didn’t use pot metal in the castings and frame, Jones shipped American-made chromoly and aluminum to the Saltillo, Mexica, Moto-Islo factory. The Mexican metallurgy was always suspect, especially in the crankshaft and transmission.

The Ammex borrowed its plate-style shift system from Maico, the dual-use kickstarter/shift shaft from CZ and a Yamaha YZ250 top-end could be slipped right onto the Ammex cases.

Ammex had high hopes, but unfortunately the Mexican peso was devalued-dropping from 12 pesos to the dollar to 120 pesos in less that a week. Since Ammex was a Mexican company, it was worth one-tenth of what it was the week before. Gary Jones lost his money and his dream of building his own motorcycle. Produc

Your not thinking of this Machine ( Ammex)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:27:08 pm by Dave #14 »

albrid-3

« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2014, 09:29:49 pm »
dave 14 please have respect on this forum
for the editor of the greatest dirt bike mag in australia

What are you on about Elsinore, Respect you say, I have respect for the efforts that go into producing a Magazine like VMX also for Ken and others that put there time into it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:29:28 pm by Dave #14 »

albrid-3

« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2014, 09:31:09 pm »
Thanks Dave , very good info . Never knew that .

Your welcome.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2014, 10:10:01 pm »
The thing is if they only put in things you think your interested in you would never get to see the things you didn't know about. leave it to them I say.

Too right
It would be bloody boring reading if it was only about things I already knew about!

What was that old saying...
You can please some of the people some of the time
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2014, 10:14:01 pm »
If you could find info on a bike called EMX which was built in the UK in the late 70s, using all sorts of exotic parts. Mike Etough was the owner of the company but had previously worked for CCM as I think a frame builder. Never seen one for sale anywhere but they do have a clip on YouTube.

EMX, I think there was a bike in Vic a few years back that may have been one of these, the guy used to race it.
It was CZ based but from a later era than your normal CZ, had lengthened forks and other trickery that made it more of an Evo bike.
I may have the name wrong though
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2014, 05:23:46 am »
Bill ... we as the buyer of the mag have the ultimate say in the end... If it's got what we like we buy it, if not it stays on the shelf.

Agreed Stu  :) and obviously the BIG market is happy with what they are getting  ;)
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2014, 05:27:20 am »

Theres a few EMXs racing in the UK , they come up for sale occasionally.

Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline craigclayton

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2014, 06:19:33 am »
I think I made a mistake, EMC was the make. Enough motor cycles, will try and find link on YouTube derrrrrrr

Offline craigclayton

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2014, 06:21:14 am »
F@€k.  Etough motor cycles

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2014, 06:49:18 am »
I would love to see an article on the HRM. Often heard of but rarely sighted. Only 2 ever made but quite successful in British 500 cc series in 1977. J

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2014, 07:31:09 am »
Hi everyone, Roger told me about this thread, as he mentioned earlier, when we bumped into each other at Allambie Heights, so it sounded like I might get some useful ideas if I tuned in.  The first thing I said to Roger was something along the lines of 'Why are they telling the forum, why don't they just contact me?'.   If your mate needed a new muffler on his bike or had really useless footpegs on his bike, wouldn't you just tell your mate that, or would you go on the forum and say 'My mate really needs a new muffler and a new set of pegs'.  Maybe I'm missing something?

I'll come back to all the suggestions in a moment but yes, as Roger mentioned, I don't inhabit the forum.  I do inhabit tons of other forums and actually speak to people every day so I have plenty of 'barometers' on what is going on in the vintage community.  I used to come here all the time, but the place just became so toxic and was dragging down the vintage community.  I'd talk to people at events and they expressed hate for someone else at the event that they'd never even met, because of posts that had been made on the forum.  How is that doing any good for the vintage community?  You could tell things were just getting worse when it was proudly proclaimed that there was to be a Dumbgeon or whatever it's called.  Rather than being a success, that was the most pointed sign of the forum's failure, that it needed such a facility at all.

No other vintage forum on the planet requires such a facility, why is that, does anyone ever wonder?  The concepts of free speech and robust discussion were often thrown about but it was more like free rein, not free speech - free rein to put down others on the forum, free rein to tell bald-faced lies about others on the forum, free rein to endlessly bag the most trivial of matters, free rein to let the most supercilious personalities have a gold pass to stroke their own egos incessantly, free rein to.......ah, you get the picture.

So I tune in again on a thread that hopefully will be super helpful for the magazine and some of it is, no question.  Then there's someone calling me foolish, someone who has told me over the phone years ago that they would never buy the magazine again because it wasn't full of what they wanted (so I'm sorry but that sort of means that I just ignored everything you said, as you've vowed never to buy another copy so your suggestions are moot), and, some who seem to almost boast that they don't buy the magazine.

To all the other suggestions, thanks, I will really try to act on them, even though everyone wants something different.  That's hardly a new problem though, it's existed since day one.  At best, any reader is only ever going to like most of the content, most of the time.  It is a tough gig putting together a magazine and even the best try their heart out and still can't make it work financially (as in Trail zone for example, sadly).  If I could, I'd like to offer my own suggestion and I'll start with the first post and maybe that will set the scene for most of the other posts.  Slakewell, my friend, good idea, and I'd like to include more late '70s KTM and early '80s bikes as well.  My phone number is 02 9452 1444 and my email is [email protected] and if you could point me in the direction of where to find some great examples of those bikes then I'd be only too happy to follow up those leads and hopefully get those bikes in the magazine.  If you're an expert on those bikes I'd also really like your advice and help with putting together an article as well, so we can get it right.

With any luck, I'll get a bunch of people contacting me with the offer of bikes, advice and help as after all, it's a magazine that's meant to be full of your "stuff", I just put it together.  Lastly, my thanks to those in this thread who have provided some positive feedback, it is much appreciated.