Author Topic: What bikes would you like to see featured in VMX mag?  (Read 28874 times)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What bikes would you like to see featured in VMX mag?
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2014, 07:23:50 am »
Moto Villa? any thing been done on the 125's here in OZ?

Offline foxy999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2014, 09:21:05 am »
Why not do a club with its bikes and members in each issue ,yes they do cover the big events but club days are where it all grows from, gets the clubs out there for others to see.   ;)
My fastest lap is the first one :)

Offline Berwick Boy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2014, 10:53:41 am »
I bumped into Ken Smith at a cafe yesterday.  Told me he doesn't read this Forum ...

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2014, 11:14:37 am »
I'm not an editor or a publisher so I have no idea of cost involved but I would imagine to put together and publish a magazine of the quality of VMX would not be a cheap exercise .

I also don't imagine the returns would be very high either all things considered as its target market is very small even worldwide .

I'm sure it would be really nice to see a lot more local content in the magazine , but is that going to sell the magazine to the larger markets who's purchases probably make the publication worthwhile ?

Its a bit like the price of petrol to me , people often ask me "did you see petrol's gone up again " Std reply no , because I don't care it is what it is . I need to buy petrol to run my vehicles , it cost what it cost .
The alternative is to buy a drilling rig and stick it in the back garden , drill for and hopefully strike oil . Then build a refinery and refine the oil so as to get my petrol , seems a lot of work and risk when I can buy it at the pumps ready made  ::)

VMX magazine arrives every 3 months for a few quid a year and has done since issue 2 ( bought issue 1 at the news agents) sometimes its great with everything that interest me , other times not so much to interest me but hey its still a good read .

Of course I could start my own magazine with all the things I like every copy, and hope I can sell enough to other people to cover cost  ;)

But in the modern world I have face book for that and it cost me fork all  ;D

Ken I know you don't read this but keep up the good work  :)

Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2014, 11:27:08 am »
That could be your most sensible post all year Bill.....keep up the good work. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2014, 11:38:12 am »
With regards to the matter of 'local content not selling the magazine world-wide', I personally would love to hear about a club days or events in another part of the world, be it California or Russia, so I guess enthusiasts there would like to read about what's going-on in Australia's outback towns?

Having worked for a publication, I found that sometimes it can be a struggle to fill the pages with good content, just have to diversify a little, better to have a few readers not interested than all of them  ;-)
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2014, 12:28:28 pm »
You need to remember that my magazine CDBM was out there before VMX Mag, and I had a page called ( In the Shed), which I did a article on riders VMX bikes being built. The reason I discontinue I was going through a Marriage Break up, But Ray Ryan also wanted CDBM to become part off VMX when he started, the promises from Ray never happen.

Dave you are obviously the Oracle of Victorian MX from years gone by with a large inventory of photos from the glory days .

Why not start your own Face book page to showcase it all . It would cost you nothing but your time and there is obviously a lot of people interested in the subject  :)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2014, 01:10:05 pm »
I'm not an editor or a publisher so I have no idea of cost involved but I would imagine to put together and publish a magazine of the quality of VMX would not be a cheap exercise .

I also don't imagine the returns would be very high either all things considered as its target market is very small even worldwide .

I'm sure it would be really nice to see a lot more local content in the magazine , but is that going to sell the magazine to the larger markets who's purchases probably make the publication worthwhile ?

Its a bit like the price of petrol to me , people often ask me "did you see petrol's gone up again " Std reply no , because I don't care it is what it is . I need to buy petrol to run my vehicles , it cost what it cost .
The alternative is to buy a drilling rig and stick it in the back garden , drill for and hopefully strike oil . Then build a refinery and refine the oil so as to get my petrol , seems a lot of work and risk when I can buy it at the pumps ready made  ::)

VMX magazine arrives every 3 months for a few quid a year and has done since issue 2 ( bought issue 1 at the news agents) sometimes its great with everything that interest me , other times not so much to interest me but hey its still a good read .

Of course I could start my own magazine with all the things I like every copy, and hope I can sell enough to other people to cover cost  ;)

But in the modern world I have face book for that and it cost me fork all  ;D

Ken I know you don't read this but keep up the good work  :)

The refinery idea has merit Bill. You could make yourself some 300 octane race fuel and roost away to unlimited moto wins. I could bring some back to OZ with me in a suitcase and run my B in Pre 90 over 263. Get digging 8)
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2014, 01:31:01 pm »
Unlike petrol, if people don't see value in magazines, then they can easily stop buying them.

I still buy petrol.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Simo63

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2014, 03:19:07 pm »
I bumped into Ken Smith at a cafe yesterday.  Told me he doesn't read this Forum ...

For real?  Interesting fact that. 

I am the first to say this forum is not the VMX community and if you want to reach the wider VMX community you had better do it through a variety of methods other than this forum but I would never discount it.

I would consider this forum to be a window into or barometer of the VMX scene and to not at least read and keep abreast of the general vibe is, in my humble opinion, quite a foolish approach.

Like Nathan, I still buy petrol and diesel.

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2014, 03:54:39 pm »
I buy metho

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2014, 05:34:10 pm »
I don't think I would read it either if I owned the magazine , if you tried to accommodate everyone on here you would have a magazine as thick as the greater London telephone directory and still it wouldn't be right for some  ::)

Over the years in the vintage scene the biggest growth I have witnessed is a sense of entitlement from those involved  ::)

This covers

Rules : Originally a set of rules were drawn up ,worked well and national championships were put in place and run and won . THEN over time   "why cant I use this or that " but its the same as last years model " " why" "why" "why"

Aftermarket Plastics: Who can remember when it was buy up what NOS was available and then get moulds made and make your own fibreglass copies . Then companies started making replacement copies in plastic and it was great , now of course "but there not quite the correct shade or contour" " there a bit orange peel" " "I have to mould them with a heat gun "

Magazines : We had none ( sorry there was Daves if you knew about it ) then we got VMX mag . Hallelujah its the ducks nuts, then sadly Ray Ryan passed and for a couple of years nothing again . A few enthusiast took the risk and invested in the magazine and gave us back our quarterly lifeline  8) But of course over time rather than be thankful to get our quarterly fix its much easier to start pulling it to bits , because we are entitled to what we want  ::)

Yes you still buy petrol , try writing on a forum to the oil companies and tell them that you want 105 leaded fuel at the pumps because that suits you . I'm sure they will roll over and make that happen  ;) after all your entitled  ::)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2014, 06:14:18 pm »
That's 2 very well written posts in one day Bill.....are you going for the hat trick?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2014, 06:55:38 pm »
His alter ego would say " fu..ck off Joan! Ya homo"
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

oldfart

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2014, 08:35:35 pm »
Bill ... we as the buyer of the mag have the ultimate say in the end... If it's got what we like we buy it, if not it stays on the shelf.