Author Topic: Yz465 h...why is my clutch slipping  (Read 11542 times)

Offline POM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Yz465 h...why is my clutch slipping
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:57:08 pm »
All fibre plates measure up good so do steel ones,adjustment is good all the way back to lever,have tried numerous different fibre plates (none new) tried various oils.....any ideas?

Offline POM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Yz465 h...why is my clutch slipping
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:59:54 pm »
And the springs are well within tolerance......

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 10:29:37 pm »
Try scuffing up the steel plates

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 10:39:47 pm »
got an genuine yz465H myself [in an it250k] but never had the misfortune [yet] to get into the clutch--but--you say everything measures up so run out of ideas before i start. Not possible that for some strange reason the pressure plate [where it splines onto the center] is bottoming out on the clutch center & not compressing the plates up? or 'just' compressing then lightly. Perhaps add another steel at the back or put two together anywhere across should work [or prove a point--fix or not fix]. Has freeplay on the clutch adjuster? [on pressure plate]--it'll have more after adding another steel of course. I imagine they have straight cut primary gears but back in my RT2 days with helical [or what ever they're called] primary gears which had a bit of play between bearing on the mainshaft behind the clutch & the circlip holding it into the case, so that when the power was on the angled gears would pull it all sideways & make it slip if the clutch adjustment was too close [not enough free play]. Thanks.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 10:46:19 pm »
just found a parts pic of one & don't suppose someone put a extra thick nut holding the center on & the step on the mushroom thingy's coming up against that!!--ignore that idea, beer talk.

Offline POM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 08:24:31 am »
Have tried extra steel plate (in different positions).....still no good.

All the steels are like new.......

All the fibres are old.....but as i said measure up ok...all very odd

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 09:08:52 am »
The fibres haven't had a dose of friction modified oil at some stage ??
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 09:32:10 am »
im thinking additives, try giving the fibres a good wet and dry scrub with about #400 or even #320 grit. get a flat surface like a glass plate and tape a sheet of wd paper down and give them a light scuffing to try and remove any FM's on the plates. give the steels a light scuff as well...then wack in some ATF -F the borg warner auto oil. it should help clean them up a bit. change it regularly.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 12:50:26 pm »
these clutches are normaly bullet proof. Gotta think outside the square [being silly here] had a Mk8 Pursang new & got a flatty during the race & had rim pins instead of security bolts & spun the rim inside tyre & couldn't climb a hill to finish line--Damn. [not that?--ok]. Carry on.--get new fibres in desperation no matter how good they look. As i say, strong clutch. When i had my 465G new in "80 i actualy did a 5th gear start in the soft wet muddy grass--maybe it was 4th but always thought 5th--filled them in to the first corner anyway. Poor clutch.

Offline POM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 03:25:26 pm »
Ok!...seemed to have sorted this...fitted extra steel plate in the middle of the pack.....

After looking closely the extra plate would not have worked at either end of the clutch pack, the pressure plate had a little wear on it and did not sit well with the steel plate.....same at the rear end of the pack.

Still doesnt explain why it slips when set up standard ????

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 05:59:15 pm »
I know they are different type of thrust lever than the early DT-RT set up but I would be looking at actual free travel of the thrust rod, regardless of whether the cable has free travel.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 06:46:47 pm »
Pressure plate and/or basket worn, doesn't take much.
K

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 08:04:54 pm »
how can you install an extras steel? somewhere there would be a steel against steel or am I missing the obvious?

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 09:09:05 pm »
Was thinking the same Doc.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 10:21:08 pm »
Missing the obvious, due to the internal splines the steels always turn together, they never spin against each other.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/