Author Topic: So…..Why are you NOT racing???  (Read 76070 times)

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: So…..Why are you NOT racing???
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2014, 11:18:25 am »
Yes I believe the social side is very important.  If I only went to meetings to ride I probably wouldn't go.

I believe the older classes Pre 60 and Pre 65 and maybe even Pre 70, need to move away for the race side of things and be a concourse with points awarded etc and then a race or two with a handicap based on the age of the rider and bike combined.  Try to bring the older riders back.

MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2014, 11:19:40 am »
I dont need a junior class as my kids are now grown up. Does seem to have a place right now that works well with in Heaven meetings. Just a junior class will not fix much IMO as most of us now have grown up kids.

And I guess this mentality is a little where the problem lies, YOU may have grown up kids so this wouldn't help you get to more meetings. But we're not aiming at the same old crowd, to prosper would be to yield a crop of new riders, riders who are 30-50 not 50 plus. This is the age bracket most of you were when you started racing VMX, these are the guys who will bring young kids as well, maybe even the missus and play as a family. If the whole family is involved its a far more justified expense. The idea of these kids riding pre 90 bikes is also ludicrous, lets just let them ride around their modern mini bikes and enjoy the day. This is not a shot at the over 50s or the guys racing for a long time, you can chose to take it that way if you like but it's just not. I have said it many times that making changes to appeal to more riders in the 50-65 yo bracket will do as little to keep the sport going as remaining status quo.

Cheers, Brendan
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2014, 11:25:46 am »
I believe MA charges extra if juniors are on the race schedule. However, if the juniors are having a "recreation ride" only, the cost is reduced I think.

Letting the juniors have a ride is a great thing for the future of MX as a sport and it helps the club to hopefully at least break even for running an event. Even if the kids are on modern bikes, some of them might develop an interest in old bikes.

VCM here in Victoria has a pretty good formula for making an event worthwhile to run. They not only allow minibikes, (mostly XR Hondas) but they also allow the pitbike lads to have a run as well. The Pitbike boys love having somewhere to race and put on some really good racing. Then we have the big bikes, Pre70, Pre75, Pre78 and Evolution classes.

I feel like a rider gets good value for money at a VCM race day, especially if you have more than 1 class of bike.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2014, 11:35:29 am »
Yes I believe the social side is very important.  If I only went to meetings to ride I probably wouldn't go.

I believe the older classes Pre 60 and Pre 65 and maybe even Pre 70, need to move away for the race side of things and be a concourse with points awarded etc and then a race or two with a handicap based on the age of the rider and bike combined.  Try to bring the older riders back.

If you the races between Greg Leany and John Selva on their old bikes, a 1964 Greeves and a 1956 AJS respectively, you would change your mind on that. For many, seeing those 2 go at it bar to bar for 3 laps was a highlight of the weekend at Clarkefield.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2014, 01:21:15 pm »
I currently don't get to race as much due to working overseas - however this is about to change and will be returning.  I will though concentrate on the meetings that suit me - such as VMXWA and Classic do - get out for a ride, as much as I want, short races to suit the old body, no points and all good fun.  Am being put off by the guys who think I shouldn't go to a meeting because it has to be for sheep stations and everybody race as if they were 21 again - and that isn't a whinge at them - just drives my decision making.

I suppose the old adage - ride on Sunday and make work on Monday and catch up with my mates.

Oh hang on - sounds a bit Vinduro to me  ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2014, 03:37:03 pm »

If you the races between Greg Leany and John Selva on their old bikes, a 1964 Greeves and a 1956 AJS respectively, you would change your mind on that. For many, seeing those 2 go at it bar to bar for 3 laps was a highlight of the weekend at Clarkefield.

It's definitely possible for the older bikes to put on a great race.
But more and more of the older bikes are being parked up, usually because the bike and/or rider is being saved for special events.

This is particularly apparent in the pre-75 eras, but you can see it in Pre-78 and even a bit in Evo.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2014, 04:52:04 pm »
So…..Why are you NOT racing???  It is not compulsory yet . Or is it ?

Of course it's not compulsory Walter, never was and never will be we all know that. So other than being provocative and looking for a clip back your way I'm not quite sure of the purpose of your statement/question..... :o

Cheers, Brendan
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2014, 07:03:59 pm »
I see a few saying the younger riders are the future of the sport . Ok a view from a grumpy over 50 with no kids . Before some of you scream hear me out then you can have a reply .
Apart from a few (frosty) what ties do a 20 to 30 year old have with vintage bikes . In most cases dad builds it or its borrowed then raced and usually far harder than its used to . Have a look at the state of a bike when its given back to dad to fix .
As far as " Im not going to win so I won't play " bloody hell even getting into the top 10 in a 11 bike race is good for me . A rider by the name of John Somerville and I used to race for last place at every Heaven meeting . The best races I have ever had .
My last Race was Crystal Brook in 2011 the only reasons are self employment  and the Tassie club not covering the classes I like to ride (pre 70 ) If I was in Vic it would be a lot different .
Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2014, 07:33:14 pm »
Having an affinity with an old bike doesn't give us old bastards sole rights to ride them.

81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2014, 07:38:40 pm »
The real issue isn't that our sport doesn't appeal to many 20-somethings. The problem is that it appeals to too few 30-somethings and 40-somethings.

At 38, I'm very aware that I'm a 'young buck'. The blokes around my age, mostly aren't interested in VMX as it stands - one of the conversations I keep having when I take an old bike to a modern event "My old [bike] was awesome!" or "I had a [bike] - I'd love to race one again!", and then I have to hose them down because their own Golden Era bike is too new for VMX...

These aren't kids who want to steal trophies off old blokes, they're blokes with kids and mortgages and beer bellys and a desire to relive their youth.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2014, 07:41:04 pm »
If we were smart, and wanted to keep our VMX alive, we would put more youngsters on our bikes and help them race. That way we get to see our bikes being ridden as they were meant to be, by young fellas fit enough to do them justice, win / win really.

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2014, 07:45:11 pm »
Having an affinity with an old bike doesn't give us old bastards sole rights to ride them.

You know I've always thought it strange when blokes who are a of the era wonder why I'd be interested in owning or having anything to do with bikes well before my time, it seems to be only a Motorcyle thing, as if I'm encroaching on their old memories or something. Though people will see ya younger bloke in a 57 chev or a 66 muzzy and think nothing of it or just enjoy the sight of them still rolling around the roads.   :-\
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:46:44 pm by Rookie#1 »

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2014, 07:53:19 pm »
If we were smart, and wanted to keep our VMX alive, we would put more youngsters on our bikes and help them race. That way we get to see our bikes being ridden as they were meant to be, by young fellas fit enough to do them justice, win / win really.

Exactly.

Unfortunately some people think VMX is all about their age bracket racing and nothing to do with the machinery they are riding.

I put a vintage bike show on a while back and never heard one person say " Fu..ck the old bikes, I'm here to see the crusty old buggers that ride them"

81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2014, 07:57:13 pm »
Ted and Nathan , Im not saying only  guys who rode the bikes when they were new should ride them and Im not worried about them being faster than me for fluc sake anyone is faster than me . What Im saying is apart from a very few most under 20's have no affinity for the bikes the vast majority ride their fathers or grandfathers bikes for the day and rap the shit out of it because its only a old shitter is it not . I sat on the start line a few years ago with a 20 something on a lovely RM250 the 10 sec board had not even gone up and this guy had it at full song I yelled at him give it a rest it has no governor , His answer its a 2 stroke it will take it if not fxxx it its an old junker my granddad left it to me .
I have no problem with the newer classes pre 90 or even pre 2000 but they can not play on the same tracks for the sake of both the older bikes would find any track that a more modern bike and rider enjoy would be to rugged for anything pre 75 . Anything that a pre 75 bike and rider would like would be like riding on a bowling green to them .
Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline foxy999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2014, 08:16:22 pm »
juniors which is under 16 (16 plus on vintage) can ride practice days on their modern bikes with QVMX, letting them race with in the club would only open a can of worms. next thing you would see is the mums and dads stacking the voting process and take over the club. our boys which two of them love riding the old bikes (when they can fit them into there busy life style) do so when there around. Kev the 80cc bikes are fun to ride and great to watch. Love to see you on one, beats push starting that 490  lol, its a cheap sport compared to other motor sports. old bikes, good mates and story's to be told. Sorry cant put a price on that !   ;)
My fastest lap is the first one :)