Author Topic: So…..Why are you NOT racing???  (Read 76025 times)

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
I am racing, but not as often as I wish I was.
« Reply #195 on: January 19, 2016, 01:11:19 am »
Resurrected thread :o

There is nothing quite like racing.
I agree with a lot of what Husky500evo and Brent j said (over two years ago!)
Racing for second last/last is still racing, and fun. Riding around in last, not so much.

I'm disappointed in the few chances to compete in a suitable age group. (Over 50 for now, in my case)

The Supermoto champs in Newcastle (June 2015) got plenty of over 50 entries. (So few 45-50 that it became "over 45". Still very good.) Oh what fun I had!

Club MX "Veterans" is often "over 35"! (Chad Reed is 34 this year, racing AMA SX at the front of the pack. FFS)
The MX nationals has a over 30 vets class!! (And an over 40 class, which I intend to participate in, this year - July 17 2016)
The Veterans class (over 35 ::) ) at the Conondale Cup (October 2015) was the only class with a full grid. Great day!

It's a shame there isn't more opportunity to race with those closer to my age in OZ.
I raced in a Vets championship in NZ one year, (Christchurch 2007?) with plenty of age groups.
The "World (sic) Vets" in both the US, and Europe, seem to be going from strength to strength. (Over 500 riders and up to an "over 70" class at the Glen Helen event in 2015 reportedly)

I think it's a bit of a "catch 22"- less older riders are prepared to line up next to guys 20 years their junior, then the organizers see " not enough 50+ to justify a class"

Veterans at Conondale in Oct (look closely, a few VMX bikes, and a skypig on a 250f)

I know I'm talking modern and SM bikes in this post, but the sentiments apply to VMX as well

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:46:10 am by skypig »

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: So…..Why are you NOT racing???
« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2016, 03:52:07 pm »
I never raced then anyway...takes me ages to get up to speed and then in an mx race, everyone has gone over the finish line while im thinking of making a pass on second last place! that's why I rode enduro's in the 80's me vs the terrain, got to pass and be passed along the way but mainly getting thru all that the Norm watts of the milledge series could throw at us. now I cant be stuffed to get the prep happening for a crack at the AORC, although I was keen on the 4 day this year in Mansfield until I found out its on in May? whats wrong with September? ill still be working in may, cant do it...sadface

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2016, 04:56:23 pm »
I haven't raced for 2 years, first time in 40 years I haven't had a race licence; MA drove me out.  Well I just paid for a National licence today, $300, and the club fees are now due, just paid $15 to have a coaching licence so that I can drum-up more Juniors into the sport (I feel like a drug dealer trying to get kids hooked).

Got sick of a couple of loud-mouth, abusive vintage riders so racing moderns again, will use the vintage '84 Honda CR500 on sand tracks.  Agree that the Veterans class age restrictions are wrong 'Over 35' & 'Over 45' but at 56 I'll still have a go.

There are moves a foot to start Vet racing in Victoria, would be good for the sport.  Vintage MX is not just vintage bikes, it is vintage riders also.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 19, 2016, 05:08:07 pm »
 ;D ;D  Come to UNzud $0 to ride all day only half a dozen rules over all classes, green grass to slide on,No MA equivellent over here, a ride every month for 6 months of the year. Na where would the fun be in that better to have MA, We dont a have to belong to MNZ if we dont want as it is against law for 1 group to have a monopoly.
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 19, 2016, 05:47:49 pm »
I moved to NZ, against the tide, '05-'08.
Certainly a long way behind OZ in the race to be wrapped in cotton wool and run under nanna's rules!

Raced MX around the N Island, and one Vets championship in Christchurch.

Road raced at Taupo - "we don't scrutineer your bike sir, we know:"
1. The wheels will be off it in the pits in 5 mins, and
2. We assume you will do the right thing. (And haven't yet fallen for the illusion that common sense can be legislated...)

One of the highlights was racing between the shops at Paeroa on my Sumo.

Back in OZ
I was amazed and delighted to race on the streets in Newcastle NSW this year.

The "Big Chill" road race in Stanthorpe QLD was another highlight. Vintage bikes and Sumo. A race meeting run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. Friendliest meeting ever. With practice, qualifying and 4 races each day for every class X 2 days. If I'm not there this year, it probably means I'm dead.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 19, 2016, 06:45:53 pm »
In the past we had the ThunderX series in Queensland, which had veteran classes they were

1. 30 to 34  and 35 to 39 run together but scored separate

2.  40 to 44  and 45 to 49  and also over 50 again run together and scored separate.

I think if it was still run there might also be 50 to 54 and 55 to 59 and then over 60.

The five year gaps is about right although the numbers might not be there for over 50 to be broken up.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 19, 2016, 07:59:19 pm »
Vintage MX is not just vintage bikes, it is vintage riders also.

Yes. Maybe the Rules should be changed to list the rider as a Major Component.
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2016, 08:46:44 pm »

Someone will just protest my titanium knees & hips  ;-)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 20, 2016, 07:58:23 am »
a clear advantage over a std knee john...to the back of the pack! :D

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 20, 2016, 08:03:05 am »

Someone will just protest my titanium knees & hips  ;-)

That would be on the cards John...... You can't modify an old bike so why can you modify your body?
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 20, 2016, 10:31:28 am »
Over the last few Classic Nats the 50-59 has been the biggest age class, with 60+, and 40-49 not far behind. This year we expect 10 or more over 70 at the Classic Nationals, so there is plenty of fun for us olds. With age categories at the Post Classic Nats we hope more old hands will be encouraged to have a go.
It is a shame when fit dads stop riding and put young guns on their bikes. The best scenario is when dads and the young guys both ride together and those that do obviously get a lot of fun and satisfaction from it.
As to why NOT racing, obviously apart from age, old injury etc cost is an issue. Financial climate not great and people are feeling the pinch.

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 20, 2016, 11:09:12 am »
I haven't strapped on the gear for 2 years...........! I also have not been on here for 18 months :o :o

Time- I only get every 2nd weekend off, and I work away from my Mrs. My weekends are spent wish her trying to build our life and finances.

Scheduled- The state where I am currently, has only 1 meeting yearly which meet my roster- That pissed me off!

Too much politics and not enough action in rectifying issues. You can't please everyone and you need rules, but you need to digress to increase interest.

$$$$$ I don't want to spend shit loads and wasting my holidays on attending meetings.

Bike- just not up to standard (until I employed someone to finish it) It's almost finished now.

I'd like to do a full season before kids come along, but it's not looking good.

Peace and stay upright.

Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2016, 11:29:09 am »
Yes the sport was it's strongest in the 70's, hence all 'those' riders are now in their 50's & 60's, so it makes sense that  the race scene should be catering for for those age-groups.

I noticed a considerable drop in my riding ability once I turned 50, I think modern racing should show more respect for the grandfathers of the sport.  In the Vic Offroad Champs, Over 50 are classified as 'Masters' and their riding numbers are all 3 digit starting with a 9; it takes the 'pressure' off the older guys, plus would generate respect from onlookers.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2016, 12:24:46 pm »
The sport in Queensland was at it's strongest in the 90s and early 2000s.  The Shell Advance/Sunshine State MX series averaged between 300 and 400 riders per round during this period.

In 1998 we started the ThunderX series and while this didn't have the entries of the SA/SSMX series it was still strong.

The key to veteran racing is not limiting it to Vintage bikes.  It also helps if there is a class for the Juniors as well.  When you create a family atmosphere it is better.  If you cater for the Pros that is mainly what you get.

Also tracks have an effect on rider participation too. Old bodies don't like SX obstacles. The riders won't tell you they will just not enter.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:53:25 pm by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 20, 2016, 12:27:30 pm »
In the past we had the ThunderX series in Queensland, which had veteran classes they were

1. 30 to 34  and 35 to 39 run together but scored separate

2.  40 to 44  and 45 to 49  and also over 50 again run together and scored separate.

I think if it was still run there might also be 50 to 54 and 55 to 59 and then over 60.

The five year gaps is about right although the numbers might not be there for over 50 to be broken up.

I think one answer would be advertise (and plan) classes as suggested above, then rationalize according to the entries received. Like they did with the Sumo - not enough 45-50 entered, so it became 45+ (combined 45-50, 50+. Still a lot fairer than racing 35yo's)