Author Topic: So…..Why are you NOT racing???  (Read 76028 times)

albrid-3

Re: So…..Why are you NOT racing???
« Reply #165 on: September 26, 2014, 03:31:20 pm »

Mortlake Vintage meeting, this was one of the best track that we ran in the 90`s, this track has been around and used
back in the 60`s and 70`s.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:32:58 pm by Dave #14 »

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
« Reply #166 on: September 26, 2014, 04:04:08 pm »
I am racing, have been for nearly 4 years and only missed the last meeting due to injury.

I heard a story about a classic quote by a relatively famous actor in the UK when asked in his 80s something like, what would you have done differently if you had your time over again? To which he replied, in his dapper, high brow English accent,

"I would have F#*cked more!"

If I make it to my early 80s, and someone bothers to ask me, I think my quote will be "I would have F#*cked more and raced Motocross more"

Fair enough if money is an issue to make it difficult to ride, don't run that one by Jens in the Heaven Club though. In his early 60s, he is one of the grittiest riders I have ever seen and most of us would spend something equivalent to his yearly race budget just on new riding gear each season. To treat yourself to this unique and exhilarating experience we call MOTOCROSS, is to commit to only one weekend a month, 7 - 8 months a year, which I think you are entitled to if you bring to your family a healthy income and you are a good parent and husband for the remainder of the month. If you admit to laziness being the reason, the pain of regret is going to be more than the pain of inconvenience. Get off your backside, wash and prepare your bike and enter the next meet. There is going to be a time when you look back and say to yourself,"what was I thinking?"

We are so lucky to have lived through the 70s and 80s and experienced that Golden Era, but now with the benefits of wisdom, to be able to work on, prepare, ride and race those same bikes, how damn lucky are we! Czeck, you are spot on, and I am with you all the way.

I run my own business and yes it is a huge burden at times making sure the bikes are prepared, especially when you have the problems I have had, aka 'The Steam Train', and getting to the tracks is sometimes a lot of driving, but that is what keeps you young in spirit, living your life to the fullest. At times, it is a pain in the ass when I am tired and exhausted at 10pm, and still have to clean my air filter before I get to bed, and then get up at 4.30am to be at the track for scrutineering in time. Nothing worthwhile is easy though, and nothing compares to that after race glow you have as you drive home Sunday afternoon. I live in a suburb which has been invaded by bankers, and as I see them shuffle in and out of the coffee shops in their Gucci Ostrich leather sun slippers, and climb into their Porsche Cayennes, I pity them, as I know something they don't, the absolute rush of lining up shoulder to shoulder with my racing buddies, dropping the clutch as the gate drops and blasting to that first corner, every sense in my body on high alert, looking for that spilt second advantage as we wrestle through the first few corners. They can keep their Soy Lattes.

At our age there is nothing that measures up to that feeling of adrenalin when you open up a nicely prepared 70s or 80s 2 stroke or soar through the air over a nice floating jump like the one before the finish line at The Lakes or the step up going up the back straight at Cessnock.

The states that have splintered clubs, which dilute memberships, this is a trap, and by the sounds of it, it is effecting some of the clubs. One reason why I am a strong advocate of the NSW Clubs uniting as one strong club. We must also welcome with open arms the 40 somethings who are just mellowing enough to begin to see life as we do, to not be so intense, get their egos under control, chill out and have a bit more fun. If this means embrace Pre 90 bikes, then so be it. It doesn't seem having the clubs shrink to a size where it is no longer viable to run events, is a good alternative.

There are also some out there that had one or two bad experiences and decided it is all too hard and not to race any more. My message to them, times change, people change, committees change. Don't cheat yourselves out of the experiences of this great sport because someone rubbed you up the wrong way back in 2009.

There is another Xmas around the corner, another year has sailed by... Get out and Race MOTOCROSS

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:12:53 pm by KJS222 »
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 26, 2014, 05:24:36 pm »
Well said Ken. Get yourself a twinshock 125, there's a special race next year at Conondale that has your name all over it. 8)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2014, 08:33:30 am »
One thing that has not been mentioned here is.

The calendar.

1.  How many times a month do the majority want to race or ride.  Once, twice etc, no back to back weekends?

2.  Can we avoid clashes with each other eg, Classic MX, Classic DT, Vinduro, CD and even Historic Road Racing?  Even clashes with National meetings that riders may want to spectate at MX Nationals etc.  This would take a united effort and give and take.

Even clashing against a National Championship in another State is wrong in my view.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2014, 08:49:57 am »
I've been told that clashes of events are unavoidable Kevin  :o

But I'm with you.....with a little bit of old fashioned communication and a bit of give and take, clashes can be avoided, Sure, you can't please everyone and avoid a clash of a VMX meeting with ( favourite V8 supercar race, road bike race etc...) but surely avoiding a clash with another VMX club ( in particular here in Victoria) can't be that friggin hard.

As for aligning all the clubs (3) here in Victoria to race together, I don't think it will work too well. Sure, VCM and CSC have a similar program but CSC will never allow the Evo class, let alone the mini bikes and pit bikes. They only just embraced Pre78. Viper is a different animal altogether and cater for pre78 onwards.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2014, 09:05:14 am »
So why doesnt the governing body (MA) schedule all events seeing as they are the ones handing out the permits.

Using football as an example, I don't think it would be successful if say Manly or Collingwood chose where or when they wanted to play. The governing body ( NRL and AFL ) tell them where and when to play.

At least this way double meetings could be avoided.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2014, 09:11:03 am »
So why doesnt the governing body (MA) schedule all events seeing as they are the ones handing out the permits.

Using football as an example, I don't think it would be successful if say Manly or Collingwood chose where or when they wanted to play. The governing body ( NRL and AFL ) tell them where and when to play.

Very good question Ted..... But WHY doesn't MA do a lot of things?
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2014, 09:36:00 am »
MA have more than enough power without giving them total control over clubs. As it is they say if or if not a permit can be granted for any meeting. It's all too easy for anyone not involved in administration in a club to ask "why"? Just try it for a short time and see how difficult it is to organize things. As the secretary of a VMX club, one of my biggest urks is being held to ransom by clubs who host our rounds (there are a few who promise the world & don't even deliver Tasmania!) VMX for most hosting clubs is either simply a money grab or a pain for them. There may be one or two enthusiasts who really try hard but are pushing the proverbial shit uphill. All this adds to the disdain of VMX racers who get excited about the possibility but are severely disappointed by the actual. I hear guys say on here that a shit day racing is better than a day in the garden, to which I agree but maybe not if you've travelled hours & spent quite a few dollars.
The question Rookie posed was about why people are not racing. The enormous selection of events both modern & VMX is really not the problem.
For me, I like to be a bit choosy in my old age, so I will go wherever the track suits me, has the least BS, has the lowest cost, the least "officialdom" & provides the most FUN. Unfortunately that is sounding a lot like any of the ride parks or the bush. Get the FUN back in VMX & people will come in droves. Just look at the patronage of Classic Dirt & Broadford Bonanza.
K

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 27, 2014, 09:39:02 am »
While I would have liked to do more races this year (I have only done one) I think there are a number of factors.

1) the cost for what is essentially a recreation activity is high. Race entry, day licence or MA licence all adds up. I am generally a back marker and just do it for the fun.  MA licence is so expensive for part timers and the day licence is also far too expensive.
2) time is poor with work and family commitments, also no time to work on the bikes
3) no time / location  to practice and build any confidence on the bike

probably a similar set of reasons to some of the other guys

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2014, 09:59:50 am »

The RCB (Relevant Controlling Body) does control their calendar.  The National calendar should be set first and then the State calendar fit around it.  I believe the commissions and each State sub committee should make sure they have input.  Eg For some reason no one thought clashing the Aust DT Champs and the Historic RR Champs was a problem.

Ted  The Broncos (or their owners) get to choose when they play (as many Friday nights as possible).  Bronco, Cowboy Grand Final next year.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2014, 12:14:26 pm »
I live in a suburb which has been invaded by bankers.....they can keep their Soy Lattes.

As a banker I am somewhat offended, you've probably mistaken them for lawyers, although I do like a latte, but made with real milk  ;D

I will start racing as soon I can after I put one bike back together and finish building the others, but I am also in the process of getting another job but it will probably be in a remote type area with no VMX club and will have to run around with the moderns, but I will try to make it to CD and/or nationals depending upon where they are.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2014, 03:01:05 pm »
"will probably be in a remote type area " got to be some good riding anywhere its "remote" ;)

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2014, 10:27:47 pm »
 $$$$ is the killer for me.. as I have other hobbies to cater for and young family.
Them ride parks suit the average punter like myself to get the  thrill of two wheels back out of the system. 
 I don't know the reason behind viper aligning with MA, so no real feelings about it, although it seemed that's when things started changing.
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline mustanggrahame

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2014, 11:40:36 pm »
Keen to start racing again with the proper vintage enduros!
Cheers, Grahame
RT1, DT1F, MX100A, TY80A, YZ80D, DT125E, CR125RE, 1982 KTM125RV, 1985 Can Am ASE, 1989 YZ250WR, 1991 YZ250WR

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 30, 2014, 07:34:37 am »
Keen to start racing again with the proper vintage enduros!
Cheers, Grahame
So what do you guys think about "proper" enduros as in Timed sections and/or some navigation....seems to me that we should be trying to keep our brains 'tuned-up' as well as the bikes and bodies. Just a thought.