Author Topic: Use your mobile a fair bit??????  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Jesus only loves two strokes

Re: Use your mobile a fair bit??????
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:17:50 am »
not only is this one doing the rounds, but given the low production costs to reproduce it, there's a few of em wandering round the e-world.  i've seen two others, one by some drunken frogs and another by some very excitable young japs.  always same result - instant microwaved popcorn.

i made sure my two teenage daughters saw it too.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:29:29 am »
definately something to think about with that one... ???
"flat bickie"

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »
Jesus only loves two strokes

Doc

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 02:23:32 pm »
 :D I flat out refuse to own a mobile phone period but not for the reasons shown here ;)

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 04:29:07 pm »
Agreed. Life is far better without the evil things. I have one supplied by work, but my wife is anti-phone. It's fascinating to watch people get addicted to their 'phone (and TV).

firko

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 04:56:23 pm »
I hate the bloody things as well. I often do a bit of people watching while having my Starbucks venti double shot skinny hazlenut Latte at the mall, and have observed that nearly every person under 30 is either talking on the bloody things, texting or playing a game on them. It's fascinating to watch. I've reluctantly got one but I'm constantly losing them or forgeting to charge them because they aren't glued to my ear. I lost my super duper phone with all of the bling gizmos at Classic Dirt (anyone find a silver Sony Erickson phone laying on the ground? if so keep the bloody thing) but my mate bought me a basic Samsung brick without camera and gizmos for $20 duty free in Bangkok. I like it better much than the lost bling one.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 05:25:21 pm »
Just last night this subject came to the fore when my young bloke asked: "Can you imagine the World without the Internet?"
In a Sage like manner and drawing on my 40 plus years of life I spent the next ten minutes explaining how the World functioned just fine without such technology, thank you!
and of course I linked mobile phones in the mix...

I'm sure you've all had similar conversations or thoughts but my summary is this:

We used the phone when we needed to, it wasn't a necessity but it was handy.
It certainly wasn't a fashion accessory and we didn't hang shit on each other for not having the latest model!
The whole phone thing is now it's own self perpetuating industry with the Worlds Youth leading the way in phone bills.
Somebody has to pay for all these phone calls; so no matter how good you consider your phone 'plan', it's costing you or someone elses money.
Is it money you really need to spend?

Yep, he'll now think twice before asking MY opinion on trendy inventions... ::) ;)
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 08:37:58 pm »
Just last night this subject came to the fore when my young bloke asked: "Can you imagine the World without the Internet?"
yes I can - I existed before AARNet, or even oz.au and (gasp!) I'm even older than ARPAnet. All hail WAIS! Go Gopher! Viola is the future!  :P

Doc

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 12:45:02 pm »
I think they are a wonderful thing don't get me wrong but I do also get annoyed at people who constantly text or take calls in the most inappropriate public places. At the checkout at shopping is a prime example of what irks me. They talk as if they are sitting at home on a lounge chair or they talk business dribble or they simply talk and text shit..whatever the call is for I personally do not wish to hear any part of it! I find it most ignorant and totally annoying when trying to communicate to someone who is on the phone and it's so bloody important that they can't remove it from their ear and listen or answer a real life conversation. I won't even mention people who take calls whilst driving only to say they are probably the most stupid of all. These days you get put on hold in real life while in a real conversation, when the phone rings this real life conversation comes second every time...get real! This is in my eyes is extremely annoying and totally unneccessary. Another thing I hate! (while I'm havin' a bitch session  ;D) is being tied to the phone no matter where you are. What ever happened to being able to get away undisturbed and not contactable?? You cannot escape!! I kinda like the solitude I can still find without feeling guilty about the switched off mobile phone in my pocket and all 'important' calls I 'may' be missing.  ::) People ask, do you have a mobile and I quite proudly state NO. They look at me in total disbelief. WHY?? they ask.. If I need a mobile I'll borrow one because every dog and bloody his owner and his 3 kids have one or possibly several these days ;) I just don't need it and get by quite okay without it thanks. If I did get one I'd love just a phone to make and receive a call like the one Fiko mentioned  :P oops..Firko I meant! ;D stuff all this other techo crap it just sucks your real life away  >:( jeez I feel better now  ;D obviously a multitude of others do not share my opinion on this matter but eh..I have owned a mobile previously but I have a choice and choose not to anymore  ;) to spend hours on the computer is fine so I'm a bit hypocritical in that way I guess but it just wouldn't feel the same replying here or browsing eBay on a phone..my damn fingers are too big also and typo everywhere..another gripe  ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:54:41 pm by Doc »

oldfart

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 01:07:58 pm »
Doc    I would love to turn back the clock  15 years ....But these days a mobile is part of ya tool kit , as it's worth a firken lot of money when used properly . Try an operate a business without a computor these days  ::)

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 01:22:04 pm »
yes but how do they get the popcorn to pop???

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 01:39:09 pm »
I once worked with a group who never reached for a 'phone. If they were in a conference and a 'phone went off, they utterly ignored it and continued on as if it had never rung. Absolutely stunned me at the time. I was nearly jumping out of my chair.  Try it - far harder than it sounds. You'll find yourself often interrupt IMPORTANT things for a dopey 'phone ringing.  Quite an "Ahhh!" moment for me.

mx250

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 01:57:45 pm »
yes but how do they get the popcorn to pop???
Good question. If its a hoaks then it elaberate -  either hotplate under corn or powerfull microwave above (and out if picture) aimed at corn. A source of heat one way or the other.