Author Topic: Use your mobile a fair bit??????  (Read 3956 times)

firko

Re: Use your mobile a fair bit??????
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »
I agree that in this ultra competitive world it's advantageous to your business to be on call to clients as much as possible but sometimes it just gets a bit much. I've retired from fulltime work and I'm no longer a part of the business food chain so I can take or leave the phone. Like Doc I find it extremely rude when the face to face conversation I'm having keeps getting interrupted by phonecalls. I like Docs analogy to my live conversation being put on hold to a phonecall. At CD5 three of the Kevlars who run their own businesses continued to run those businesses by phone for the whole three days. At one point on Saturday arvo I glanced across Kamp Kevlar to see all three of them pacing up and down in highly animated phone conversations. I left mine turned off, in the console of my car and only used it to check on my seriously ill mother every evening. I totally understand that business today demands almost 24/7 availability but I think it's all a little sad. As great a time as my mates had at CD5, their minds were never totally absorbed in the action. There was still that little bit of business happening because of those bloody phones. There was no escape. It's kind of sad really but that's life in the new millenium.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 03:04:13 pm »
I have to agree totally. I have run my own business for years now and while I have no problem with mobiles in particular. I do choose to exercise my right to switch the thing off outside of business hours. The people that can't live without them don't actually know what living is…!!!!

My pet hate is the 'round and round' email. The email that goes on and on for days, being passed between [and added to by] multiple recipients as if that is productivity in itself when in actuallity all it has done is waste hours of everybodys time. The worst thing is you have to read it carefully [everytime it comes around] because somewhere hidden in the bull shit could be something that has actually been done or needs to be done.

Ah, I do love the OFF BUTTON. A wonder of modern technology [unlike the STANDBY FUNCTION that so many tossers can't live without]. Do you realise that nearly 20% of electricity consumption is used by items on STANDBY, or that the Internet is only just behind that percentage.

For example, one single computer left on standby for 1 year uses enough energy to drive from Sydney to Perth. Makes the OFF BUTTON look like an environmental saviour.

There you go. Spleen vented. Returning to normality - blood pressure decreasing, pulse slowing. Time for a cuppa.
Thanks OzVMX - very therapeutic.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Doc

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 03:34:33 pm »
 :D :D :D I don't have what one could call much of a business oldfartigus but I manage juuuust nicely with an answering machine on the land line. You hit the nail on the head though with the statement "when used properly" this is my exact argument. I got so sick of interuptions on the job at the worst possible moments so they can leave a message and I'll get back to them when I get home if needed ;) works for me. Turning them off after business hours was only part of my problem..the other part (as well as the public use and ignorance) is I loved the easy going 70's so much I'm still living in them  ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 03:44:30 pm by Doc »

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 08:42:10 pm »
Just admit it.

We're all just becoming Grumpy Old Men. :o

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. ;)

Quicksilver

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 04:30:39 pm »
Got a new phone today. Had my old one for years. Basic, easy to use and old bloke friendly.
 This new thing. Gees, I asked the girl for the most basic easy to use pre paid phone they had. It cost just a little over $120 but does as much as my home P/C, this thing does everthing. Takes pictures, vidios, emails, web, whole of other shit i'll never understand...Bloody hell  :o :o. Its gunna take me ages to work it out. Why the hell would anyone want to surf the net with a 2 inch screen  ::) ???. I certainly wont be bothering to use that funtion. I dunno if this will be a good or bad move for me but the other old girl just worn out so a replacement was needed. All I wanted was someting to make, receive calls and txt messages. Now I have a new mini P/C. Only wanted a phone.  :-\

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 04:57:45 pm »
Got home from a meeting after lunch and I understand where Doc  is coming from.
While at this meeting one phone rang and disrupted the meeting,So of course it had to be answered and not just ignored.
then the proffessional womens phone promptly vibrated and a light within flashed across the glossy table top  :D :D :D :D.
The pro women just ignored it,while I was trying my damdest to stop from LOL and peeing my pants while watching this thing doing its bit on the table...of course remembering what has been written here ;) ;D :D :D :D
Oh well ya sometimes gotta laugh about tecknoljjeee and people with no manners.
cheers alison

Best is in the West !!

oldfart

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 05:23:18 pm »
Meetings ..... turn ring tone off  - send all incoming calls to message bank - or divert to office .

Have you noticed that when people talk on a mobile - they walk around in circles and raise thier voice ???

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 06:10:27 pm »
Meetings ..... turn ring tone off  - send all incoming calls to message bank - or divert to office .

Have you noticed that when people talk on a mobile - they walk around in circles and raise thier voice ???

Hell is that why people drive strangely when talking on a mobile phone?  :o

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 06:20:15 pm »
Hell why is it that mobiles talk strangely whilst driving their people phone????
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 06:26:36 pm »
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:29:06 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!