Author Topic: pre78 sidecars..Port Augusta Australian Championships.  (Read 19806 times)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: pre78 sidecars..Port Augusta Australian Championships.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 11:54:12 am »
Bikes changed a fair bit Pre 85 twinshock heavy frame heavy motor Pre 90 lite weight mono shock.Pre75 suspension changes a bit say from a 75 wasp to a 78 wasp
ah what about Darren Williams Honda and all the other light weight mono shock chairs made upto and includeing 1984 ie Honda CR480's, RM465's, KX500's etc etc
ther were a vast choice of mono shock solo's to make ya HBS
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:32:10 pm by shelpi »

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 11:58:59 am »
Bikes changed a fair bit Pre 85 twinshock heavy frame heavy motor Pre 90 lite weight mono shock.Pre75 suspension changes a bit say from a 75 wasp to a 78 wasp

100% Rob .  Thats exactly how history is , but I was to scared to comment because of of all the plastic newcomers . But you never know, if we make a submission to MA ,history could be rewritten and all classes combined , after all they all have 3 wheels and bums on seats (licences ) that matter .
you know its not 100% right You tell me the date when Darren Williams came out on his Light weight Mono shock and did the deed

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 12:06:32 pm »
We are putting together a Pre75 chair and hope it will be ready for the Nats, going a DT360 A donk and frame with a JSC made sidecar and leading link  ;)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 12:22:19 pm »
As me old mate would say every time before we went out  Keep it up right and have fun! RIP Trev

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 04:36:57 pm »
It just seems like it, as Im over hearing peoples version of the truth and if Im correct the fist light weight biult by the Williams was a CR450 and  I know there were RM465 HBS rigs as I was nearly going to build a replica of My Mate and work college from Kessner Suzuki  and his brothers KX500 air cooled not to mention another mates TT600 so Just a bit over it when I hear NO MONO SHOCK and NO LIGHT WEIGHTS before 1984, I to do not want any arguments just the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:33:04 pm by shelpi »

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 06:16:30 pm »
Good on you Shelpi.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 06:34:05 pm »
It just seems like it, as Im over hearing peoples version of the truth and if Im correct the fist light weight biult by the Williams was a CR450 and  I know there were RM465 HMS rigs as I was nearly going to build a replica of My Mate and work college from Kessner Suzuki  and his brothers KX500 air cooled not to mention another mates TT600 so Just a bit over it when I hear NO MONO SHOCK and NO LIGHT WEIGHTS before 1984, I to do not want any arguments just the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth ;)

There is a video around somewhere of the Australian MX Championships at Toowoomba in 1982.  It is the telecast of the racing from a local TV station.  Anyway Bob Johnson and Blair Shepard are commentating.  The first race shown is a Sidecar Championship race.  Anyway Geoff Udy is leading and I think he is on a RM465 sidecar.  I even think there was two classes back then.  Ring Geoff or EML will know.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 07:54:53 pm »
and "kosher" regarding modifications is a lot easier in Pre75 Sidecars than all other of the classic classes. Like are you allowed in other divisions to take your frame ,remove lots of various bits and bobs, cut, shut and re-rake the head stem to fit a vastly different front fork setup, have a disc brake, change wheel sizes, hubs and rims ...,move the fuel tank to a much lower center of gravity ( and run an electric fuel pump)** reset the length of your swingarm, fit an electric starter and legally use 1983 model Yamaha and 1978 Honda engines*  Well yes in Pre75 Sidecar.

* Yamaha XS650 Twins all models and Honda CB750K7 series.
** Tank mod and pump not on pictured machine at present time.
Take a look and tell me my old shitter ain't a kosher pre75 :) ;) ;) ;)

Did I mention you can even have a rigid bar footpeg on one side ;) ;) ;) :D :D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 07:59:21 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2014, 07:58:05 pm »
Tim if you enter that makes 7  :)

Entries close 4th August
Best is in the West !!

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2014, 08:06:49 pm »
Bike OK me broken Alison, BUT and it is a big one health wise, 2015 I promised myself to get to the start line ,even if I just get lapped (Most likely!!) and chug the old 980cc dinosaur around. Never know I might squeeze in last place ;)  Have to look for a sap with a death wish oops  I mean a volunteer as a passenger.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:25:40 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 09:13:41 pm »
hoping to get the weekend off!!! :) visit my sister and watch to racing :D
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 11:06:47 am »
So now that we are back on track ;) any helpful hints on the DT360A MotoCross Sidecar build from you guru's, looking forward to your input
ie- shall we run a 21" front wheel
what gearing would you start with
leading link design and geometry
sidecar swing arm design

pics would be nice, speaking of pics luv ya 7504 Tim wish I never sold me roady

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 11:44:22 am »
Peter you want a helpfull hint . Dont get angry with me  now , read the rulebook .  My interpretation of the rules ( and the spirit )  ,seek one of those creations  from prior 84 you intend to build . Either buy it or create the 100%replica of it . Remember frame , swing arms , forks ,linkage , brakes MUST be identical of the creation you are cloning of .A) your replica will be more valuable  B)it will save you lots of grieve and meaningless expense .  Please dont shoot me now , you asked for advice . My list still stands :  NO Sidecar manufacturer  offered a linkage model until 1985 !!!!!!!
ya just cant help your self can you, I will ignore your over tones and will remain focused on the for mentioned build and have read the regs and still interested in positive input, for the DT360A  You are always welcome to comment Wasp but just dont expect me to agree with you on eveything
Now where were we? oh yer whats the best way to put a DT360A motocross out fit together? all positive inputs welcome and look forward to achieving some team spirit ;)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 11:57:37 am »
hoping to get the weekend off!!! :) visit my sister and watch to racing :D
Look forward to seeing ya in the flesh  :o ahh not in the flesh :-[ but in person aghh not in a person  :P but face to face... any way you know what I mean ;)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 12:10:29 pm »
Peter , you dont have to agree with me , history and spirit  are things you should agree with .  If I was using a 360 engine , then my recommended way to go would be , using a pre 85 EML or Wasp frame , then it is kosher , will handle and will give joy .
Ah if I was using a DT360A engine then you would recommend a pre 75 eml or wasp frame? thats what you meant right ;)
cant offord it and dont know where one is, so will replicate one instead,
useing the DT360A frame so just received the tube and now is a good time to double check design and stuff, so any design features that will be of advantage that we may have missed will be humbley and gratiously taken on board
cheers ;)