Author Topic: Mid 80s Factory Honda fourstroke  (Read 36706 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Mid 80s Factory Honda fourstroke
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2014, 08:19:15 am »
without the motor it certainly wouldn't be a $12K bike though?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2014, 08:44:13 am »
In the background theres another bike #3 bit hard to make out but its seems to have the same shock set up on the swingarm maybe there were more.
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline g465b

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2014, 05:40:04 pm »
the ebay bike is similar to the atk / honda kit bike pictured bottom left, 4 yrs after the other.

[/URL][/img]

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2014, 06:30:36 pm »
I actually see the detail as being along way from similar, apart from a lot of little obvious things like exhaust, side covers etc, etc,
Check out the the fabrication detail on the upper shock tower mount, different style.
Put your scale rulers over the lower shock swingarm attachment point, vast geometrical ratio difference between the arm pivot point and rear axle point.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2014, 06:31:51 pm »

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:34:10 pm by Mick D »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2014, 06:56:42 pm »
     Bit of Horst Leitner influence there by the looks of it !

I reckon your on track there, I went searching the web the other night, a couple of things I read:
one, said as far as frames went, at the time Honda was copying and trying everything Horst Leitner did.
secondly, I read a published interview where Ron Lechien says basically  that both Honda and Kawasaki were both testing and copying everything that they could get hold of from basically any source, anywhere, anyone and each other.

The seller reckonss this is one of three produced???????????
He reckons there is no serial #'s,,,,,,
For my two cents,,,,,,,,I feel it may be indeed one of the real things, but possibly with a history of enjoyment from ongoing use it may have lost its factory 60HP mill. Just like a few have already suggested.
I wonder if the engine has a serial # in the usual place because the above is possibly the case??????
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:13:19 pm by Mick D »

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2014, 07:17:59 pm »
true the "real deal"? bike shock is angled far greater like the last huskies twin shock ITC setup and way different top shock bracketing as well along with a different swingarm top bracing. its a nice bike for sure but still not worth the 12k asking price

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2014, 07:46:57 pm »
true the "real deal"? bike shock is angled far greater like the last huskies twin shock ITC setup and way different top shock bracketing as well along with a different swingarm top bracing. its a nice bike for sure but still not worth the 12k asking price

Its certainly worth only what some one is willing to pay, and there is way less willing punters in these skeptical and uncertain times.
If I were a zillionaire, I would first acquire a much bigger hoardiniser, and use this to to help fill it ;D

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2014, 09:43:50 pm »
Geezus Mick, you need o get a life, see what happens when you hang around Maygo's....it's a bit intriguing that bike, but like a lot of "factory specials", after they have finished with them bit's go missing, you'll probably find the motor went bang and maybe one of the mechanics sored the bike at the end of the season [pretty common occurance], stuck a std motor in it and went play racing for a few years. Factory bikes where never sold, they where either destroyed or stolen, occasionally they went back to the factory. It would be interesting to know it's post race history. Still a cool bike though, more appealing than a HL replica [similar money], you could build a trick XR600 motor for it like Ballard and Belly rode in the thumper Nats. Be a cool pre90 bike but I don't think it would beat a CR5 or KX5. That sort of bike you would want to see in person or get someone to check it out properly.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2014, 10:01:27 pm »
Put on drum brakes & ride it in the EVO class ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D,So the real deal then with more than likely the wrong donk,I will eat humble pie,I was one who thought it wasn't :-[
Now I want it ;) ;)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2014, 10:26:14 pm »
Geezus Mick, you need o get a life, see what happens when you hang around Maygo's....it's a bit intriguing that bike, but like a lot of "factory specials", after they have finished with them bit's go missing, you'll probably find the motor went bang and maybe one of the mechanics sored the bike at the end of the season [pretty common occurance], stuck a std motor in it and went play racing for a few years. Factory bikes where never sold, they where either destroyed or stolen, occasionally they went back to the factory. It would be interesting to know it's post race history. Still a cool bike though, more appealing than a HL replica [similar money], you could build a trick XR600 motor for it like Ballard and Belly rode in the thumper Nats. Be a cool pre90 bike but I don't think it would beat a CR5 or KX5. That sort of bike you would want to see in person or get someone to check it out properly.

You got to be kidding don't ya ;D ;D :)
I got a life ;D and its a good life, they have thrown so much at me, n I'm still not dead, just beginning as a matter of fact ;D
After the big hangover on Sunday at CD, I had finally calmed and relaxed by Monday morn ::)
I was so keen to take the razor to Alpina tye downs and cut her loose, but alas for she,, there was no more organised riding to be done :( and Mick had to head south for long pants and jumpers again, a bit like NZ. I imagine ;D except with twice as many long pants and jumpers ;D ;D

Hey why don't we get four times as many jumpers and watch the sand races at the next Invercargill  :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:34:45 pm by Mick D »

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2014, 10:47:02 pm »
Ha ha, I'll take you over for the Johnny Old MX one day, make sure that you bring your drinking head, those kiwi's will fill you full of puss!
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2014, 09:53:16 am »
Compliments of Mainline

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2014, 10:46:49 am »
Hmm, so it does seem to be the real deal.....Although the seat is a later "86 CR job and the finish isn't quite what we expect from Honda/HRC It'd still be a cool bike to have in the shed.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2014, 11:02:28 am »
That's what I'm feeling too Mark, withe engine swapped out.
Over the years I have read where Honda was big on pulling engines for after race internal inspection etc. Maybe just the engine was pulled back to Honda, a lot easier than shipping a whole bike>maybe?